Harry Potter

Ya, ya, the whole debate I know

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Harry Potter

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Out with it! What is your official opinion on Harry Potter and the debate surrounding it?
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I enjoy the books and the movies and I am not ashamed of it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. They can either like them or dislike them but it is not going to change my opinion one bit.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I never read them, nor do I have any inclination to do so... however I don't really have a problem with them, either. I'd like to think that people are intelligent enough not to become Satan worshipers or warlocks or something by reading a book about a bunch of kids doing funny magic tricks... or whatever they are about... ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Top Crusader wrote:I never read them, nor do I have any inclination to do so... however I don't really have a problem with them, either. I'd like to think that people are intelligent enough not to become Satan worshipers or warlocks or something by reading a book about a bunch of kids doing funny magic tricks... or whatever they are about... ;)
I have read all but the last book and have seen all of the movies and I can tell you that I am NOT a Satan worshiper nor will I ever become one. Harry Potter is pure fiction and that is all it is or ever will be.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Laurie wrote:Harry Potter is pure fiction and that is all it is or ever will be.
Saying that Harry Potter--or any book--is "just fiction" requires one to ignore the power of storytelling.

I'm not saying that people will start practicing witchcraft or anything just because they read the book--but like any and every story before and after it, it has the power to influence.

Oh, and b/c I fully expect you to reply and say you're not going to change your mind, let me say that I'm not trying to change your mind--or attack you, for that matter. Just throwing some more thoughts into the conversation, as i'twere. Merely expressing my opinion, just as you have.

As for my own opinions, I have not read the books. Like the Da Vinci Code, I do plan on checking the book--if only one or more, I don't know--out from the library simply to see what the fuss is about and to form a more complete opinion. I'm not personally comfortable with the books presenting witchcraft in a favorable light, but I would like to learn more about the books before passing any final judgment on them.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I read all the books, I have seen all the movies, and I still believe in God. So does my sister. Oh, and we don't worship Satan... And wizardry is not worshipping Satan in the first place. It's a tool of the devil's, yes, but that doesn't mean you worship him (my sister told me that).

I read, I like, but, ah....none of it is REAL!!!!! (I've said this before somewhere... oh, the Golden Compass)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Jonathan wrote:
Oh, and b/c I fully expect you to reply and say you're not going to change your mind, let me say that I'm not trying to change your mind--or attack you, for that matter. Just throwing some more thoughts into the conversation, as i'twere. Merely expressing my opinion, just as you have.
I am not going to say anything of the sort. I'm not looking for an argument. I have given my stand and I am not going to say any more.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

I like Harry Potter, however, I don't think it is for children, as it seems it is intended for. When and if I have children, I wouldn't let them read it until they were like... 15 or 16 because of the extensive violence.

Anyway, in the Second book, Chamber of Secrets, (I haven't finished it yet) before Chapter 9, I counted at least 4 times when Harry could have and should have been nicer.
1. When Dudly came up and told Harry that he remebered his birthday, Harry could have been nicer and said thank you at least, instead of pretending to cast a spell.
2. Harry could have been nicer to Colin when Colin started admiring him and taking his picture. It was pretty rude to say that he didn't know who Colin was. There's nothing worse than a hero who dosen't like you.
3. When Filch asked if he had read the packet on the crash course for wizards, he should have said that he read it and offered to help Filch learn.
4. Harry, Ron, and Hermione should not have left the "deathday" part for Nearly Headless Nick. (this is one of those reasons that Harry Potter is too violent) Harry should have stayed, even though he was hungry and tired, out of respect for Nearly Headless Nick.

Not that I'm complaining or anything... :-

But, I do like Harry Potter, it is just too violent for younger children.

By the way, what does everyone think about Ms. Rowling announcing that Dumbuldore is gay?

Also, please don't post spoliers for Harry Potter as I haven't even finished the second book yet.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Amusingly, I've noticed that the biggest thing in common with most controversial books like Harry Potter, DaVinci Code and, (I'm assuming) the Golden Compass is that they are all written by very talented individuals who, more than anything, have a gift for capturing the attention of readers of all ages.

All books are, to some degree, influential. To say otherwise ignores the power of the written word which has been used by authors for generations to inspire multitudes of reactions in thier readers. Nevertheless, for the adult reader, I found the Harry Potter series to be little more than a fun, quick read. The same goes for the DaVinci Code as well as most other Dan Brown reads.

The unquestioning belief of a child in fiction is one thing. There is, however, little excuse for a mature individual to claim that they have been "taken in" by a piece of obvious fiction. Thus, the decision to let a young child read the Harry Potter series to me, would seem to be no different than any other discretionary decision that each parent must choose based on a variety of individual factors.
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Jonathan wrote:
Laurie wrote:Harry Potter is pure fiction and that is all it is or ever will be.
Saying that Harry Potter--or any book--is "just fiction" requires one to ignore the power of storytelling.

I'm not saying that people will start practicing witchcraft or anything just because they read the book--but like any and every story before and after it, it has the power to influence.

As for my own opinions, I have not read the books. Like the Da Vinci Code, I do plan on checking the book--if only one or more, I don't know--out from the library simply to see what the fuss is about and to form a more complete opinion. I'm not personally comfortable with the books presenting witchcraft in a favorable light, but I would like to learn more about the books before passing any final judgment on them.
I would agree.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I haeven't read any Harry Potter books so I won't comment on them, but I have read The Da Vinci Code and I disagree with Sherlock Holmes' statement:
Nevertheless, for the adult reader, I found the Harry Potter series to be little more than a fun, quick read. The same goes for the DaVinci Code as well as most other Dan Brown reads.... There is, however, little excuse for a mature individual to claim that they have been "taken in" by a piece of obvious fiction.
I chose to read Da Vinci Code because a professor suggested it. He told the class that we should know what the world is reading and what they will likely believe about Christianity. I read it with the presupposition that I wouldn't agree with it, and I have to admit it was a very compelling book. If I hadn't decided already that I disagreed, I may have been taken in... except that the views in the book go completely against what I have been taught.

I don't think the book was merely fiction. He presented a humanistic worldview expertly disguised in fiction. It is quite possible that a non-Christian would believe what he had written, and it is possible for a Christian adult who is not fully grounded in their faith to begin to believe what he had said.

Then again, there are many more factors in a person's life than this one book. People who believe him probably were already set against Christianity to begin with. But I still think there is power in the book to influence people, even mature adults.

There is much power in fiction.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Florenceann wrote:I don't think the book was merely fiction. He presented a humanistic worldview expertly disguised in fiction. It is quite possible that a non-Christian would believe what he had written, and it is possible for a Christian adult who is not fully grounded in their faith to begin to believe what he had said.

Then again, there are many more factors in a person's life than this one book. People who believe him probably were already set against Christianity to begin with. But I still think there is power in the book to influence people, even mature adults.

There is much power in fiction.
Influence, certainly. But there is absolutely no excuse for a reasonably intelligent adult to understand that a particular book is a work of fiction and as such will probably contain numerous historical inaccuracies.

The problem comes when people simply assume that what they read in a work of "historical" or adventure-themed fiction is true and that the "sources" cited are valid. This is simply false. The author obviously uses a number of convincing techniques to draw you in to the story - a fact which, on its face, is perfectly fine. The fault rests with the reader if they are ignorant enough to believe something they read in a piece of fiction over proven, historical fact. So much the worse if they let that piece of fiction influence their faith.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I have read the first Harry Potter book and The DaVinci Code. I think in both cases they are not "pure fiction" and that is what tends to get people up in arms. Both authors used bits of reality or historical facts to make their story relevant and interesting to the reader. In doing so, a few things happened. A number of people loved the stories because they were relevant and interesting. I fall in this category, by the way, the same way I thought it would be semi-cool to be an archaeologist after Indiana Jones and believed Peter Pan really could have been a real person (just maybe) after seeing the movie Hook. Another group of people interpreted the same things the first group enjoyed as a possible threat. They got scared that this first group might go beyond seeing it as fun fiction and progress toward changing their beliefs or getting so caught up that they'd forget it was only partially true. Sure, people can be influenced by fiction. But those that have a good enough grounding in reality are not likely to be overcome by the need to escape it. Children do grow up and need to learn before that how to deal with what is the truth and what is not. I think reading fiction, even something that might disagree with what you know as fact, is an important life lesson when addressed to the correct age and maturity level. Wouldn't reading these books with children open up a great opportunity for dialogue?
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Did Darcie's post there make anyone else think of the episode You Gotta Be Wise?
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

/me consults Soda Fountain for episode description... :anxious:
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

Harry Potter books, hm? I haven't really had a chance to participate in this discussion recently, but I guess I'll give my uninformed opinion.

I just... never really cared for the books, or the series as a whole, in the first place. I've obviously never been one who enjoyed witchcraft celebrated in any way, shape, or form (one of the reasons I couldn't stand Power Rangers Mystic Force and Magiranger, both of which drew heavily upon witchcraft and which was one of the first times I ever stopped watching a season of Power Rangers midway). I've always been cautious about filling my mind with that sort of thing, since, even now, I'm still very childlike in my imagination and am influenced by things I watch, whether I want to be or not.

I don't really think I'm ever going to watch the movies or read the books. I just don't see the need. I've read enough stuff about the series, and it just doesn't sound like something I'm interested in (sounds kind of violent and morally shaky, to be perfectly honest). If somebody can read the books or watch the movies and have a clean conscience about it, then that's their business, but I certainly can't do it.

I have three new Study Bibles that deserve my attention more, anyway, so I don't have time to delve into a book series that's... two billion pages long. Roughly. Give or take. xD
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

As long as it is read like a "story" and not read as if it were real. Our class at Christian school studies mythology as a group of stories. We aren't going to go out and worship Zeus. In the same way, reading Harry Potter is not going to make me go out and try to cast spells on people.
Narnia55
Just visiting

Post by Narnia55 »

I enjoy the books as a work of fiction. I realize that they are influential, and that is why I don't think children should be the ones reading this. Even though I begged, my mom would not allow me to read them until I was 13-14, when I understood the good things and the bad, and was beginning to get rooted in my faith. I am now 17, and in bible college, so waiting that long to read something like this had no ill effects on me, and I would encourage adults to not let their children read the books until thy are ready.

One thing I have a concern about though, has anyone noticed how dark the movies have gotten lately? The first movie was friendly and cheerful, with a little mystery, but every movie since then has gotten darker and gloomier as the series goes on. The books, I am fine with. The movies, I am beginning to wonder about.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

But the books keep getting darker and darker and the movies reflect that. By the same token there are some pretty dark Christian books that I don't read because they're too dark.

Also if you were to read the original Faerie Tales you'd find that they are dark. Harry Potter just follows this tradition.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Narnia55 wrote:One thing I have a concern about though, has anyone noticed how dark the movies have gotten lately? The first movie was friendly and cheerful, with a little mystery, but every movie since then has gotten darker and gloomier as the series goes on. The books, I am fine with. The movies, I am beginning to wonder about.
I would say that the darkening of the movies is largely metaphorical in keeping with the increasing hold that the "evil" takes on the characters in the books. I found the same things in the LOTR movies, where by the third film, it was pretty much entirely dark.

I think that, if done correctly, portraying a changing world that is slowly being absorbed by evil influences can be accurately allegorical of certain changes in our modern world. Nevertheless, I am not sure that, if read by a mature individual, it is "too worrisome" unless it is completely meritless.

Then again, a completely meritless book isn't very good literature, I suppose.