Suggestions wanted

Books this time

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Suggestions wanted

Post by ajamj »

ajamj wrote:Occasionally, I get overly ambitious. This may be one of those times.
Everyone has responded so well to the movie thread that I will ask about books.

I would be lost without my books. If you were to ever visit my home you would find three bookcases in the living room, four in the office, one in the den, and books stacked everywhere. I do mean everywhere: under tables, behind chairs, on the kitchen counter, in storage tubs in the basement. Any flat surface will do. :anxious: Depending on the purse I'm carrying, there are one or two in there and a few in each van. I have forced this on my children. I have always read to and with them. They, too, own many books. I even offer incentives (okay, bribes) to the older kids to read books that I recommend to them. Elijah and I read together for pleasure, not school work, everyday for at least one hour (which is why I disappear by 8pm).

I own several books on the subject of "best childrens books". Recently, I realized that these books are from when HollyAnn and Nick were young and that they are seriously out of date. There is also a distinct lack of Christian themed books on the lists. We do get books from the "suggested reading" lists that his school and our church provide, and I pick up anything that catches my eye at bookstores, thrift shops, and rummage sales. I'm wondering what you would suggest? We read everything: it's more important that he can understand the book than be able to read it himself. I have read him many books that would not be considered for children (those $2.97 Heroes of the Faith biographies are great, Jeeves and Wooster, Sherlock Holmes).

Tell me what you think that we should read. Obvious ones, too.

Even though I had Eli in mind as I wrote this, all suggestion are welcome. Just let me know about the age appropriateness.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I would recommend any of the Lamplighter books...great stories with strong Christian themes. If you go to the website and click browse by catalog, it divides the books into catagories so you should be able to find appropriate books for all the family. :D These are mostly republished works from the past few centuries, so they might be harder to read for some people than modern books. ;) They do have footnotes throughout to explain difficult or archaic words. They are really worth reading though!

I just finished reading The Lost Clue, Ishmael, and Self-Raised. Very enjoyable.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Hey ajamj,

I totally relate to your love of reading. In fact, for my age, I have more books than anyone I've ever seen. My whole closet is filled with them from floor to ceiling. My mom introduced reading to me at a VERY young age (ever since kindergarten, she had me reading novels). By the age of 11, I was reading 'This Present Darkness' and 'Piercing the Darkness' by Frank Peretti :D. THANK YOU MOM!

Pretty much, all Bob Jones University Press books are awesome. They have books like "Escape" and "A Question of Yams" "The Fig-Street Kids" and MANY more for ages 6-7. If you're looking for books to read with your son, I would recommend "A Father's Promise" and "Derwood Inc.". The best thing about all of the books on BJU Press is that they are ALL Christian. BJU has VERY strict standards that their authors must uphold to- no language, no sex, no violence, no magic- and it MUST be Christian based. Here's their website:

BJU Press

If you're looking for Christian fantasy books, I recommend "Dragon Keeper Chronicles" "The Chronicles of Narnia" "The Seven Sleeper Series" and "The Door Within Trilogy".

If you're looking for historical books- well, just tell me what you think about everything I've already said. I'd be more than happy to help you with finding good books for Elijah (awesome name, btw :D)

Please PM me and let me know what you think :),

Lena
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Okay, so I want to suggest a book, but it might be a little over your children's heads. In the sense that, it would be confusing and they wouldn't get it till they turn 12 and older. There are many books out there, and I can't think of any. Seems weird to me...

Okay, so, I guess I'll suggest the book. As of course, you are the decision maker.

The book is called "I Would Die For You" by Brent and Deanna Higgins. It's about a 15-year-old boy who went on a mission trip, or two, and gave his life for God. It's a powerful story of a young man, and he was really intune with God.
Just to say, where you can get the book is at Amazon.com, probably any Christian bookstore nearby, or maybe any bookstore at all, but it depends. I tried getting the book at Barnes & Nobles, and they didn't have it.

Other than that... as some suggested, "The Chronicles of Narnia", but the age level would be 10 and up. The books are descriptive and good.... and drone on. Sorry, that's my interpretation. C.S.Lewis goes on and on sometimes not for my liking. Um... okay, I'm drawing a blank. I guess I can't think of any Christian CHildren books. I'm thinking more teenage based books. Maybe cuz I am one...

Unsure,

Marisol
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I have to agree with Iron and Light - all the BJU Press books that we had growing up were excellent. I read and reread them. :) A Father's Promise and Derwood, Inc. were some of my favorites, as well as the rest of the Peabody Adventure series, the trilogy of books by Jeri Massi (The Bridge, Crown and Jewel, The Two Collars), The Treasure of Pelican Cove, Pulling Together, False Coin True Coin, In My Uncle's House, The Secret of the Golden Cowrie, Every Perfect Gift, Scout, Dear Terry, Some Summer, Sound Friendships, The Stolen Years, Night Flight, The Journeyman, Hue and Cry....and more. I'll stop myself now. :anxious: Some of those that I just mentioned are probably for a little bit older kids, but many aren't...or at least I read them when I was younger. ;)

Hmm...also the Trailblazer series by Dave and Neta Jackson, The Young Underground, Adventures Down Under, and the Promise of Zion series by Robert Elmer. They all say they're for middle schoolers.

One more I'll mention now is A View From The Zoo, by Gary Richmond. It's not really a children's book, per se, but it's very interesting. Each chapter is a true story from the author's time as a zookeeper. The stories about the different animals always teach some sort of lesson. It might be a good book to read out loud. :D Ha, I just went to Amazon to link to it, and it looks like he has more books in the series! Neat...I never knew that.

I could talk forever about books. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

Laura Ingalls wrote:One more I'll mention now is A View From The Zoo, by Gary Richmond. It's not really a children's book, per se, but it's very interesting. Each chapter is a true story from the author's time as a zookeeper. The stories about the different animals always teach some sort of lesson. It might be a good book to read out loud. Ha, I just went to Amazon to link to it, and it looks like he has more books in the series! Neat...I never knew that.
Cool! We've done some of the James Herriot (All Creatures Great and Small) stories and he loves those.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I remember liking... what were they called? The Cooper Kid Adventure Series or something like that, as a kid. Written by Frank Peretti... I'm not sure how many there are, I only read the first 4 but I think there were a few more he wrote a little later.

Oh yeah, and how about the Bible? :noway:
MajorSplendor
Sing in the sunshine

Post by MajorSplendor »

The Top Crusader wrote:I remember liking... what were they called? The Cooper Kid Adventure Series or something like that, as a kid. Written by Frank Peretti... I'm not sure how many there are, I only read the first 4 but I think there were a few more he wrote a little later.

I believe there are about 8 books in the Cooper Kid Adventure Series. They are very good books. The Global Air Troubleshooters Series by Jerry B Jenkins is good as well. I'm not quite sure how many books there are in that series,though.

Originality is the art of concealing your sources.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Red Rock Mysteries by Chris Fabry and Jerry B. Jenkins are very good as well. There are 15 in that series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I used to enjoy reading The Sugar Creek Gang mysteries by Paul Hutchens
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

The Lord of the Rings are amazing!!
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

The Top Crusader wrote:I remember liking... what were they called? The Cooper Kid Adventure Series or something like that, as a kid. Written by Frank Peretti... I'm not sure how many there are, I only read the first 4 but I think there were a few more he wrote a little later.

The Cooper Kid Adventure Series were AWESOME. \:D/
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I would recommend any of the Lamplighter books...great stories with strong Christian themes. If you go to the website and click browse by catalog, it divides the books into catagories so you should be able to find appropriate books for all the family. :D These are mostly republished works from the past few centuries, so they might be harder to read for some people than modern books. ;) They do have footnotes throughout to explain difficult or archaic words. They are really worth reading though!

I just finished reading The Lost Clue, Ishmael, and Self-Raised. Very enjoyable.
Oh I'm reading the Lamlighter books right now! :D Kind of hard reading for younger kids, but very good books.
PJ
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: wandering in the desert, searching for my promised land

Post by PJ »

Beyond the Reflection's Edge by Bryan Davis (Older teen - Young adult)

You'll have to wait until it comes out in May though, but it's worth the wait!
Love is stronger than death.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I have to agree with Iron and Light - all the BJU Press books that we had growing up were excellent. . . . Scout
I second that. Scout is very fun and touching. Great story for kids.
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I would also recommend The Chronicles of Narnia--I love all seven of them and even used one as an illustration in a sermon recently.

When I was a kid I loved The Boxcar Children series. Good, clean stories about children who love their independence, but also respect adults. I also liked Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys.

Another good author is Gordon Korman, he writes about boys in a boarding school in Canada.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

The Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome are some the best books I've ever read.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Florenceann wrote: Another good author is Gordon Korman, he writes about boys in a boarding school in Canada.
Just a note about Gordon Korman - while I also love the Macdonald Hall books, I read one of his newer books and was disappointed to find more mature content, so take that for whatever use it might have! One of my favourite books by Gordon Korman isn't part of a series and is called "I Want to Go Home." I've read it many times and still laugh every time! \:D/