Anybody crazy enough to rate them all?

Or most of them.

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Choose the statement that best describes you.

I have rated all episodes (or most of them).
5%
I have not rated all episodes, but I plan to start soon.
27%
I have not rated all episodes, but I plan to...someday.
23%
I have not rated all episodes, and I don't plan to.
45%

Total votes: 22

Taq
A great mapmaker

Anybody crazy enough to rate them all?

Post by Taq »

Throughout the years, I’ve heard nearly every AIO episode multiple times, but I’ve never categorically compiled my thoughts until now. I rigged up an Excel sheet to organize my efforts. I plan to give all episodes a numerical rating from 0 to 5 with 2.5 being average. I used a formula to calculate a running average, a neat statistic. I plan to give at least one sentence of notes, so I’ll know what I was thinking when I look at the sheet later. So far I have rated those on Oneplace now, and I’m working on pasting in my reviews from the Town of Odyssey. Below is screenshot. Note that most cells are hidden and that the average reflects all episodes I have haphazardly chosen to rate so far. I will send you my Excel sheet minus my reviews if you want.

10 Reasons Why You Should Start Rating All AIO Episodes Now
1. You want to organize your AIO thoughts.
2. You want to compare episodes to one another, especially those from different eras.
3. You want to finally know what your top 100 (or 50 or 20 or 10) list looks like.
4. You want to see if certain episodes stand the test of time.
5. You want to see if your ratings change as you get older.
6. You want to compile this for your future kids to see.
7. You want to start at the beginning. Oneplace recently started over.
8. You want to be allowed a little procrastination. Oneplace episodes stay up for a while. ;)
9. You want some encouragement. We can spur each other on here!
10. You want to keep yourself excited about AIO over the long hiatus (Summer 2008-Fall 2009).

If you have rated them all, please share your experience with us.
If you haven’t rated them all, why don’t you join me? The project will take diligence and devotion, but I think we can do it.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment, Taq! :shock: Very impressive! I don't know if I'm motivated enough to start doing that now, but I can see how it would be really interesting. Would you ever revise a rating if you later changed your mind, or leave it as it was? :-k
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I would revise the rating and comment on it in the "Notes" section.

Ah, Catspaw, the perennial encourager. Thanks for the kind words. It sounds like a lot (and is). But if you listen to the episodes on Oneplace while surfing the net and take a couple minutes to rate each, it's not so hard.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I'm definitely not patient enough to do something like that, but I'm sure it would be an interesting project.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

v-lady93 wrote:I'm definitely not patient enough to do something like that, but I'm sure it would be an interesting project.
I agree. The only episodes that I've rated have been the ones I have reviewed here and like others here I don't review every episode.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

Actually I have been rating it for my itunes and it can be a bit of a task, but it's kind of fun when you have nothing to do :anxious:
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

That is very cool Taq! I love your list of reasons too. \:D/ I actually did rate all the episodes a couple years ago but I did it on paper. :p It was a bit subjective at points but it did force me to evaluate what I really thought about certain shows. Sometimes I'm tempted to like or dislike shows based on what the majority of fans think but I realized that I needed this to be my own opinion. What do I truly enjoy? :) I also found that it's really hard for me to rate recent eps because I really need the passage of time to determine how they hold up in my mind. My original reaction isn't always my long term feeling about an episode. I also found that when I did the ratings, I used 3 as my average rating, not 2.5, even though I went up to 5 like you did. I had a hard time saying that most shows were 2.5 since I like them so much! I have no idea what my overall average was because I didn't feel like adding all of them up. :lol:

(sorry about the ungrammaticalness of that post... it's late :-$ )
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Chandler, that's quite an accomplishment. Good for you! Like you, I noticed some roadblocks to fair ratings:

1. Others' ratings - I don't think it's necessarily bad to look at others' reviews. They often give observations I didn't notice and perspectives I hadn't considered before. Then I may modify my opinion, or leave it unchanged. Of course, the opinion at the end of the day is my own, so I make sure I can personally justify it.

2. Not wanting to give a "bad" rating (Overrating) - Sometimes I fall into the trap of thinking, I enjoy most Odyssey episodes, so how could I give a below-par rating? The result is just making the scale smaller. If I only give ratings between 3 and 5, this is just as good as a scale from 0 to 2. In order to differentiate episodes from each other, I necessarily need to give many lower ratings. Rating an episode below average does not mean I don't like the episode. It just means that I liked the other ones better. (Note: This problem is extremely rampant, especially here on the Town of Odyssey. It is also extremely difficult to combat. Even though I'm aware of it, I still have a good amount of fives and only one zero so far.)

3. Underrating - Sometimes I fall into the trap of trying to give many lower ratings to compensate for the overrating effect. If there's a string of outstanding episodes, e.g. Fall 2007, I need to make sure I do them justice.

4. Trying for an average - Sometimes I try to rate episodes so the average turns out to be 2.5 or close to it. After all, it's supposed to be an average, right? This is bad. I want my ratings to be independent of each other. *deletes running average*
Agent3xq wrote:Actually I have been rating it for my itunes and it can be a bit of a task, but it's kind of fun when you have nothing to do :anxious:
Keep up the good work! I plan to fill in a lot of my ratings chart during my Spring Break, which starts in a week.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I'm trying to rate them all. I started today. What I'm doing is getting all the albums I own, which is 27 in all, not in order though, and am writing down the episode names, what album they were from, what I rated them, any notes I wanted to add, and what life lesson you got from them, like Forgiveness or something like that. I'm just doing the ones I own right now because I don't got the time to be copying and pasting from the internet to get the albums and episode names and all that info right now. Too slow of internet, and not enough time. BUt maybe I'll get to it one day or another.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

That's quite an effort, Taq! But it seems like it would be worth the effort. Yay, someone else that makes Excel formulas just for fun! \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Well, far be it for someone to find reason to declare me sane, so I shall take on this challenge ;) Too bad I didn't have this idea passed on to me back in October (or September) when I started listening to all the episodes in order (I'm up to 1996).
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

You know, now would be a good time to start if you don't own a lot of the episodes, because they just started over on the daily program..
...I hate marquees.
Storm
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Storm »

Thanks, but one thing doesn't really work, the ones that they aired on the daily is different from the ones in "The Early Classics, do you know why they are different anyone?
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Hm.. They apparently are skipping some of the holidayish episodes.. And of course the Officer Harley episodes..
...I hate marquees.
Storm
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Storm »

I know, but they added some episodes, like Honor your Parents
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I think I'll take the challenge too, though probably not until this summer, when I start over again from the beginning. Thanks for the idea, Taq! This reminds me of awhile back when I attempted to rate every song on every CD I owned. Needless to say it didn't take long for me to abandon that plan.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

RegisB wrote:I know, but they added some episodes, like Honor your Parents
Honor Thy Parents is one of those early episodes that wasn't in an album--though I do believe it was added in The Lost Episodes--but they kept airing it anyway. In the radio broadcast schedule they don't go by albums, they go by number, so this was about the time for HTP (episode 30) to air.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

New recruits! O:)
This is gonna be fun! \:D/
J-man wrote:Hm.. They apparently are skipping some of the holidayish episodes.. And of course the Officer Harley episodes..
Yeah, I think Officer Harley is the main culprit with seasonal episodes coming in a distant second. Below is a list of the episodes Oneplace has skipped so far. We're now up to 42.
3: Lights Out at Whit's End
6: The Day After Christmas
8: Dental Dilemma
9: Doing Unto Others
11: Addictions Can Be Habit-Forming
13: Bobby's Valentine
14: Missed It By That Much
15: My Brother's Keeper
16: No Stupid Questions
17: A Member of the Family, Part 1
18: A Member of the Family, Part 2
21: The Case of the Missing Train Car
22: A Simple Addition
23: The Quality of Mercy
24: Gotcha!
25: Harley Takes the Case, Part 1
26: Harley Takes the Case, Part 2
28: The Price of Freedom
Edit: I put the episode titles in quotes.
Last edited by Taq on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

It's interesting episodes 8 and 22 were skipped. Harley isn't in them, and despite not being in an album they have aired on the radio in the past.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Jonathan wrote:It's interesting episodes 8 and 22 were skipped. Harley isn't in them, and despite not being in an album they have aired on the radio in the past.
Both episodes are in The Lost Episodes. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!