HD component

what should I get?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Elrohir
I'm memorable

HD component

Post by Elrohir »

I just got an HDTV and I wanted to by the component cables for my DVD player. Does anyone know which is better, 480p or 1080i?
Pokeman7452
Fourscore and seven

Post by Pokeman7452 »

Well, you must understand what 480p and 1080i mean.

The number is the vertical resolution of the transmission. Highr resolution means more detailed picure:
See "Close-up view"

The "i" or "p" it what method the picture is transmitted.

"i" means interlaced.
HDTVs cannot display an interlaced picture and therefore de-interlace it. This results in a blurry and sometimes distorted image.

"p" means progressive. This requires no de-interlacing and allows HDTVs to display the image at full resolution with no distortion.

Another thing that you must understand are the types of connections.
Look at the bottom of this page.

And finally, what type of DVD.
Standard DVDs can only support 480i. You want HD DVD or Blu-Ray.
HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray is about as hot as Mac vs. Windows.
The Playstation 3 uses and allows you to watch Blu-Ray, while the XBox 360 uses and allows you to watch HD DVD.
Most film studios only support one format (Disney only releases Blu-Ray, DreamWorks only releases HD DVD), Warner Bros supports both.
They both can handle 1080p, Blu-Ray holds about 30% more.
For about $1,000 you can get a Blu-Ray/HD DVD player.
More information can be found
here.

See what video formats and inputs your HDTV can support and buy accordingly.
Save Pokemon, Destroy Yu-Gi-Oh.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Thanks. I looked at my DVD player and it says it can use 480p. I'm waiting to get a HD or Blue Ray player cuz I wanna see which one LotR comes out on.