im being harassed cus im american...

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
plastic_smile
Gold Member

im being harassed cus im american...

Post by plastic_smile »

Well, i live in england as most of you know. im sure you'd probaly think tht my friends would be jealous that im from america but there not. i get teased almost evry day because im american everyones always making fun of george bush and if im arguing with someone they useally say something like "wat you gunna do bomb me or something i guess thats all you know coming from america". and lots of times when i say things people reply with stuff like "go back to america and eat somemore hamburgers" there idea of america is tht we bomb people for fun and never stop eating. Im proud to be american and i wish people here knew how great america is!!
is there anyone else goin through this...?
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Being a Canadian who lives in America, I can't say that I have really gone through this, even though we may do things a bit different (they're probably envious of us fabulous Canadians). I would suggest asking God to both help you through this, and to help your friends realize that they are hurting you.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

I get ridiculed because I'm an American all the time. The thing to do is just ignore the comments and continue to be proud of your heritage.

And yeah, as Pseu said, tell them that their comments bug you. Hopefully after a while they'll realize that you aren't going to react like they want and stop bothering you.

Or you can just stick your nose up in the air and walk away. \:D/ Just kidding...
don't forget the rain.
boneablaze
Tallying up

Post by boneablaze »

plastic_smile wrote: there idea of america is tht we bomb people for fun and never stop eating.
Sadly, America hasn't got the best reputation. Perhaps you don't exactly see where these people are coming from, so allow me to try to show you their perspective coming from someone who has lived outside of the states for a number of years (and, yes, I'm American).

As far as bombing people for fun, I know many Americans who think the war is a complete waste (I tend to lean in that direction myself, but not to the extent that many do). So to someone from another country who is watching this war, perhaps they think the same things, just with stronger feelings behind it.

As far as "never stop eating". I can totally see their point. No other country in the world has the portion sizes that the states serves. I remember my first trip to Canada with my dad when I was 8 or 9 years old. Can you imagine my shock when I found out that except for the VERY RARE occasion I was not going to get a refill on my pop when we ate out? Living in the states it was just an automatic thing to have free refills in most places. In trips as I got older I started to notice the difference in portion sizes of food when we ate out, but when I was a kid I didn't notice because I had such a small appetite, it made no difference to me how much food was on my plate.

And their comments to "go eat some more hamburgers". Americans eat out far more often than other countries. Some more-so than others. My roommate and I rent a room in a house owned by a family. I am estimating here, but a close guess is that 95% of the family's meals comes from fast food places. I mean I have no issues with fast food, and do eat it myself from time to time, but to eat that much fast food *gags* I usually find it amusing here that the two college students who stereotypically should be eating nothing but fast food and pizza delivery actually do grocery shopping and cook their food while a family who would be expected to cook meals eats out every chance they get. But I digress. If you think about it, other countries view our eating out habits much like my roommate and I do the family we rent from--to be way past the "bit too much" point, and many just have the human nature to make fun of -- or shun -- anything that is even slightly different than they're use to.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Maybe it's because we have an ugly flag.

No?

Well it is ugly.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

ek wrote:Maybe it's because we have an ugly flag.

No?

Well it is ugly.
It's not ugly. :noway:

...it's just...well, boring.

But aren't most flags?
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

I don't think it's ugly. I love our flag :noway:

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Alisha Richardson Wolfe
Fourscore and seven

Post by Alisha Richardson Wolfe »

Our flag is ... unique. And to respond to the eating too much/eating out thing. I live in a college dorm. The current program for dorm students is that they have a cafe minimum, which means that if we don't eat in the cafe enough or buy enough food we'll get charged the amount of the minimum anyway. This year it's 522 dollars per quarter. I have two weeks left in the current quarter and I've just barely reached 400 dollars (and that's with some help from my friends). If I don't reach 522 dollars I'll get charged whatever the difference is between the minimum and what I actually ate. I'm being forced to "eat out" in a sense. I hate it. My family and I when I'm home eat out maybe once every two weeks. Sometimes not even that. I prefer to make my own food. It's healthier and I know what's going into it.

Americas problem is most don't want to take the time to cook their own food. They are too busy doing something "more important". And the proportions that are served in restuartants and fast food joints are huge. I used to work at a McDonalds. I would watch someone order two extra value meals just for themselves while I, if I were to eat there now (which is never going to happen), would order a salad. And the salads are even big! It's crazy!

Don't be ashamed to be American. If they tease you anymore, you can tell them "Hey we didn't wimp out in the Revolutionary war. You did" JK. Don't say that.
I like Odyssey. DBD was my favorite saga and I am friends with Eric Delko and prplrane_13. Marisol Delko Caine is my sister. I like Ponybox and listen to Linkin Park and Newsboys.
Farrah
Tallying up

Post by Farrah »

Hello heather,
I love america and lots of hot places like Manchester, bolton, london, harrow, california, Cyprus, haifa and anysorts of places and I never stop eating and I would like to eat cheeseburgers and hamburgers every day and it is really healthy that's a hustle.
Love from farrah xxxxxxxxxxxxx ooooooooooooooo
plastic_smile
Gold Member

Post by plastic_smile »

Farrah wrote:Hello heather,
I love america and lots of hot places like Manchester, bolton, london, harrow, california, Cyprus, haifa and anysorts of places and I never stop eating and I would like to eat cheeseburgers and hamburgers every day and it is really healthy that's a hustle.
lol :anxious:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah I was coming in to post and that pretty much sums up what I was going to say so I'll leave it at that.
Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

Alisha Richardson Wolfe wrote:If they tease you anymore, you can tell them "Hey we didn't wimp out in the Revolutionary war. You did".
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Everything written in this post is false.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I got that alot when I was in Ireland last summer. I was a waitress at a lounge and some of the customers got angry at me because I was American. I had co-workers tell me to tell customers I was from Canada or when we would go out. Then instead of people quizzing me, they bought me shots. :-s A lot of people did think it was cool I was from America too though....so I guess it evened out.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

If they make fun of you just threaten to shoot them and steal the oil out of their car! \:D/
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Donner wrote:
Yeah I was coming in to post and that pretty much sums up what I was going to say so I'll leave it at that.
:hilarious:

*ahem*

Okay, I'm done. :anxious:
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Donner wrote:If they make fun of you just threaten to shoot them and steal the oil out of their car! \:D/
:hilarious:

A faint beacon of admiration and respect has just been ignited deep within the chasm of my hatred and utter loathing for Top.... :x

grrrrrrr
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Oh yeah and I'd force them to privatize their health care and not get it through the government! :x
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

plastic_smile wrote:Well, i live in england as most of you know. im sure you'd probaly think tht my friends would be jealous that im from america but there not. i get teased almost evry day because im american everyones always making fun of george bush and if im arguing with someone they useally say something like "what you gunna do bomb me or something i guess thats all you know coming from america". and lots of times when i say things people reply with stuff like "go back to america and eat somemore hamburgers" there idea of america is tht we bomb people for fun and never stop eating. Im proud to be american and i wish people here knew how great america is!!
is there anyone else goin through this...?
There's two things that come to mind when I read this. First, do your best to be a good representative, first of Christ, then of your country. Sometimes people just need to see that stereotypes aren't always accurate.
Second, what I learned in school is that some kids will tease and harass simply because they want to. There's issues behind that, of course, like insecurity or bad home life. But my point is that if they want to do it, they'll find something to pick on. The fact that you're American may be an easy one to choose. But if it isn't that, they might pick on your freckles, height, or last name. It really doesn't matter what is it as long as they can find something to make themselves feel better.

I hope things improve between you and your friends! :hug: