Is it just me...

...or am I the only one who can't stand the first couple scenes of "The Other Woman"?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Is it just me...

Post by underdogfan710 »

Seriously. I was listening to it the other day because I've been doing some "research" on mental illness lately. I couldn't even finish it. The first couple of scenes were just too sickening.

You may be rolling your eyes, but think about it. Rodney's dad was the one that gave him his "orders" during the Blackgaard saga, and who ends up in jail? Rodney, despite the fact that he's a minor. Who ends up doing community service? Bart, and even he got off early.

Not to mention the references to physical fights among the Rathbones, including Rodney's mom hitting him with a broomstick. (Rodney: "Look, see the brush marks?" Doris: "I got you with the wrong end, lucky for you.") All while lighthearted music plays! Is this supposed to be funny?

It especially begs that question after listening to how they took child abuse and made a heartbreaking, emotional story out of it in "The Chosen One," and the way they've handled separation and divorce in the whole Mandy saga. So why is it "funny" here?

Okay, so I'm an over-analyst. But all I'm asking is that you think about it.

*gets off :soapbox:*
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Um...it's always been funny to me because it was the Rathbones. They're like Goofy and Donald to me...you can use comical violence with them, because I, and quite a few more people are used to it. :)

Also, most of the time Bart wasn't telling Rodney what to do; he was just messenger boy for Regis and Glossman. And Rodney usually drew up the plans for vandelism, then after he was no longer leader of the Bones, Jellyfish gave all the orders. That's what I drew from the episodes. :)
Last edited by Kairi on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

It's funny because we know Rodney deserves it.
Everything written in this post is false.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Waluigi Freak 99 wrote:It's funny because we know Rodney deserves it.
Also, not to mention the fact that he and his father bring it on themselves.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

That can sometimes be the problem with shows like this... they want to be realistic and have though provoking episodes with real people in real, serious situations...

But then they have the Rathbones and Harlow Doyle who are complete parodies of actual people and do things totally outside of what real people would ever possibly do...

So yeah. I guess that's just how children's shows work these days. ;)
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

you are not alone. it disturbs me too when the rathbones are bad parents to rodney, and the music is still being very comical. i totally agree with you, but i do see the other people's point too. that still not make me feel comfortable when i hear it though. being a teacher myself, and seeing children coming from very obvious dysfunctional families, i don't see it as a joking matter. but then again, my friends and i who's parents used to slap us around as kids laugh and joke about it now. i know it's weird, but yeah, just know, you are not alone. :)