Wii

Game suggestions?

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Wii

Post by ajamj »

So, a friend of my daughter gave Elijah a Wii for his birthday. As if we needed another game system. Or a reason for a little boy to flail around. ](*,)

What games would you all suggest? He's seven and Mama prefers games that do not include violence, although Dad is more relaxed about that. Way more.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I'd say the packaged game Wii Sports is pretty fun in itself...Wii Play is also great for casual gamers (including parents) and kids. MySims is also a pretty awesome game for kids...

if you want to go for something with comic violence then Super Smash Bros. Brawl is coming out soon.

and of course my favorite Wii game...Trauma Center: Second Opinion...but meh- I don't think a seven year old would be interested in surgery. ;)
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I don't have a Wii, but Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (if Star Wars is okay) is coming out on it. Pretty minimum violence. The legos just fall apart when killed, and Chewie can pop off the Stormtroopers' arms.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Zelda: Twilight Princess is the best Wii game to date but it is a little violent and too much for a 7 year old.

Either Wii Play or Mario Party 8 would be my suggestions.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

Kairi wrote:I don't have a Wii, but Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (if Star Wars is okay) is coming out on it. Pretty minimum violence. The legos just fall apart when killed, and Chewie can pop off the Stormtroopers' arms.
He loves that game. We have it for Game Cube.

Mario Party is a good idea. We have Mario Party 5 and we all play that.

Is the MySims like the pc Sims?

Everyone should have a happy dance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Super Mario Galaxy, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and Super Paper Mario are definitely high on the list... SMG comes out fairly soon. Not sure of their difficulty or whatever, but the Olympics one at least is basically a "family fun" kind of game.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is pretty much going to be the best gave ever in history, but isn't out until February so I wouldn't worry about it yet. :(

And yeah the Mario Party and Wii Sports stuff is good...
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

ajamj wrote:Is the MySims like the pc Sims?
I'm not sure, I think it's supposed to be a PG type game instead of Sims which is easily a PG-13 style game.... I'd be hesitant to buy MySims without researching it thoroughly.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Oh yeah if he is into comic books Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is pretty cool...
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I concur with basically what everyone else has already stated. Wii Sports and Wii Play are great starter games and they really takes advantage of the unique controls. As for other games, I'd go with Super Paper Mario or MySims.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

I heard there's a Wii compilation of a bunch of old "Legends Of Zelda" games (i.e. Ocarina Of Time). Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

I agree with pretty much everything.

Just get Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl when they come out, and play Wii sports till than.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

movieman85 wrote:I heard there's a Wii compilation of a bunch of old "Legends Of Zelda" games (i.e. Ocarina Of Time). Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?
You're probably thinking of the Wii Store where you can download all the old Zelda and Mario games right onto the system.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

STRYPER wrote:
movieman85 wrote:I heard there's a Wii compilation of a bunch of old "Legends Of Zelda" games (i.e. Ocarina Of Time). Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?
You're probably thinking of the Wii Store where you can download all the old Zelda and Mario games right onto the system.
WHAT?!?!?! The Wii just keeps getting better and better \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ . I really wish I had the money to buy one.

STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

movieman85 wrote:
STRYPER wrote:
WHAT?!?!?! The Wii just keeps getting better and better \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ . I really wish I had the money to buy one.
You didn't know about this!! :shock:

Dude, you can download old NES, SNES and Genesis games for 5, 8 and 8 dollars respectively. And I think N64 downloads are $10 but there are only 3 or 4.

Already my brothers and I have downloaded
Mario 1, 2 and 3
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Sonic 1
Zelda... all of them
Contra (I think :anxious:)
Metroid
...and probably some others I'm not thinking about.

It's one of the main pluses to buying a Wii. They may be the weakest system this generation but it's got a lotta perks \:D/

Actually ajamj, I forgot about this. You could also give him a Wii Points Gift Card (available at Best Buy and Wal-Mart and such) which will allow him to buy/download these classic games.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

STRYPER wrote:
movieman85 wrote:
STRYPER wrote:
You didn't know about this!! :shock:

Dude, you can download old NES, SNES and Genesis games for 5, 8 and 8 dollars respectively. And I think N64 downloads are $10 but there are only 3 or 4.

Mario 1, 2 and 3
Sonic 1
Zelda... all of them
Metroid

It's one of the main pluses to buying a Wii. They may be the weakest system this generation but it's got a lotta perks \:D/
That's awesome =P~ ! Wasn't Genesis a Sega platform though? Although, I haven't seen anything made by Sega in a long time so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo bought them out.

STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

movieman85 wrote:That's awesome =P~ ! Wasn't Genesis a Sega platform though? Although, I haven't seen anything made by Sega in a long time so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo bought them out.
Yep, Nintendo bought the rights to Sega which is why they are able to sell Genesis games and feature Sonic in the new Smash Bros.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

And actually Movieman85 may have been thinking of the GameCube... there was a Zelda compilation that had Zelda one and two from the NES, and the two N64 games... it left out the Super Nintendo one though, which I thought was odd... and of course it left out the handheld ones which makes sense, but is too bad because those were cool, too. ;)
ajamj wrote:So, a friend of my daughter gave Elijah a Wii for his birthday. As if we needed another game system. Or a reason for a little boy to flail around. ](*,)
For the sake of the betterment of the child I would be happy to take it off his hands for $100... O:) :anxious:
Pokeman7452
Fourscore and seven

Post by Pokeman7452 »

STRYPER wrote:Dude, you can download old NES, SNES and Genesis games for 5, 8 and 8 dollars respectively. And I think N64 downloads are $10 but there are only 3 or 4.

Mario 1, 2 and 3
Sonic 1
Zelda... all of them
Metroid
They release about 3 games every monday
NES = $5
Turbografx 16 = $6
SNES = $8
Genesis = $8
NEOGEO (new to VC)= $9
N64 = $10

Our games:
Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 (3 was released last monday but I don't have it yet)
Sonic 3
All currently released Zelda (Original, Zelda II, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time)
Paper Mario
LOLO
Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
Super Metroid
Lode Runner Battle
Super Mario 64
Some random games that we don't play.
STRYPER wrote:Actually ajamj, I forgot about this. You could also give him a Wii Points Gift Card (available at Best Buy and Wal-Mart and such) which will allow him to buy/download these classic games.
$20.00 + tax for $20 worth of games, available anywhere that sells any Wii games.
It is better to buy Wii Points from the Wii itself using a credit card because there is no tax and you don't have to go anywhere.
Save Pokemon, Destroy Yu-Gi-Oh.
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Pokeman7452 wrote:
STRYPER wrote:Dude, you can download old NES, SNES and Genesis games for 5, 8 and 8 dollars respectively. And I think N64 downloads are $10 but there are only 3 or 4.

Mario 1, 2 and 3
Sonic 1
Zelda... all of them
Metroid
They release about 3 games every monday
NES = $5
Turbografx 16 = $6
SNES = $8
Genesis = $8
NEOGEO (new to VC)= $9
N64 = $10

Our games:
Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 (3 was released last monday but I don't have it yet)
Sonic 3
All currently released Zelda (Original, Zelda II, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time)
Paper Mario
LOLO
Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
Super Metroid
Lode Runner Battle
Super Mario 64
Some random games that we don't play.
STRYPER wrote:Actually ajamj, I forgot about this. You could also give him a Wii Points Gift Card (available at Best Buy and Wal-Mart and such) which will allow him to buy/download these classic games.
$20.00 + tax for $20 worth of games, available anywhere that sells any Wii games.
It is better to buy Wii Points from the Wii itself using a credit card because there is no tax and you don't have to go anywhere.
How exactly do you download the games? Is it wireless or do you need your wii hooked up to an ethernet cable?

Pokeman7452
Fourscore and seven

Post by Pokeman7452 »

movieman85 wrote:How exactly do you download the games? Is it wireless or do you need your wii hooked up to an ethernet cable?
The Wii comes with wireless built-in. Just give it your router info and it will allow you to play online, dowload stuff from the "Wii Shop Channel", and send and recieve messages from other internet capable Wiis.
The shop channel is where you download the Virtual Console games and other Wii software (including a web browser).
If you don't have wireless, you can purchase a ethernet adapter for your Wii. If you don't have a router (ex: you have a cable modem connected directly to a computer), you can purchase a USB Wii/DS wireless adapter that allows your Wii/DS to connect to the internet through your computer wirelessly.
Save Pokemon, Destroy Yu-Gi-Oh.