Musicians!

Calling all instrumentalists...

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Musicians!

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Who here plays an instrument(s)? For how long? Been in an competitions? Won any awards? Any embarassing stories? Heh, more on that later 8-[

I've played the piano for about six years now . . . currently working on grade 7 and 8 material, by the Conservatory Canada standards anyhow. I'm also planning on taking the Theory 3 exam--correspondingly, also with Conservatory Canada.

. . . and, yay, I received my first guitar this past Christmas. :D Gorgeous acoustic. Can't necessarily say the same about the music making with it, though. ;) Nah, I've figured it out fairly easy. It's just learning the more complicated chords, finger picking, etc.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Who here plays an instrument(s)? For how long?
Yes I do. Been playing Baritone/Euphonium since 5th grade, trombone since 10th or 11th grade. I know just a little piano, tuba, and trumpet.
Trent DeWhite wrote:Been in an competitions?
B/C my high school marching band marches the correct way (high step) we are automatically disqualified.
Trent DeWhite wrote:Won any awards?
Several, including the Jefferson Band Booster Club Merit Scholarship.
Trent DeWhite wrote:Any embarassing stories?
I'm sure there are, none of which I'm willing to tell probably (unless I upload some pics ;) )

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've played the piano for nigh 14 years. Like most other people I have also played a bit of guitar.
Certainly I have been in several competitions for piano. While I've earned several ribbons and such, that's typical fare for the competitions I was in. The best I've done is earn an honorable mention in a stiff competition devoted to music from the Baroque period.
Embarrassing stories? Not really. I've never had a major flop when performing despite terrible nerves.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I play piano, trombone, trumpet and flute. But piano is my favorite.

Officially I've been playing piano for 20 yrs (yes, since I was about 3)......however I've only been serious about playing piano for about the past 10 yrs.

Peace Out

-Gimp
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I play the flute, acoustic guitar, hammered dulcimer, mountain dulcimer, tinwhistle, and recorder.

I've played in public a couple times, but haven't won any awards. :(

Cheerio
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I play drums, all kinds of drums.
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

I play the cello and the drums and I've been compeating in a music festival for about 4 years in a row now. I have won a two or 3 awards. I also play the drums but just play it for my own enjoyment for now.
Image [img]
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

gimp80995 wrote:I play piano, trombone, trumpet and flute. But piano is my favorite.

Officially I've been playing piano for 20 yrs (yes, since I was about 3)......however I've only been serious about playing piano for about the past 10 yrs.
That's awesome. What style of music do you prefer playing?

Classical? Jazz? CCM?
crosskritters
Fourscore and seven

Post by crosskritters »

What is you definition of "play"? (take lessions? can make a sound? people enjoy listen? etc.)

--Kat
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

I can play short little songs like, Yankee Doodle, Mary had a little lamb, hot cross buns, etc. On the piano, flute, recorder, "kids" accordion. I can't really "play" an instrument.

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

While I am not very good at any instruments, I play around with the piano, guitar, and recorder. I used to want to learn to play the flute, and I even had one given to me, but that dream kinda faded. My current wish is to learn to play the drums.

I'm also a fairly good singer. I sing solos at our church about every month or so.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I play the flute and the recorder. About 3 years? for flute and longer for recorder. I've never been in a competition, but I have played at our local library for a homeschool concert.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

crosskritters wrote:What is you definition of "play"? (take lessions? can make a sound? people enjoy listen? etc.)

--Kat
Play as in make a somewhat melodious tune with an instrument. :D Many people learn how to play instruments without lessons . . . particularly when it comes to guitar.
PonysHorses
Found

Post by PonysHorses »

I play Paino, Guitar, Harmonica and Voilin. I learned harmonica by my self, paino my mom teached me, voilin I learned a little from my sisters and guitar I go to lessons. I don't go to competitions.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
crosskritters wrote:What is you definition of "play"? (take lessions? can make a sound? people enjoy listen? etc.)

--Kat
Play as in make a somewhat melodious tune with an instrument. :D Many people learn how to play instruments without lessons . . . particularly when it comes to guitar.
Some of us. I went through many years of lessons on the Euphonium and it truly did benefit me. I taught myself Trombone and then took about a year of lessons on that after I got the basics down.

-Jonathan
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I used to play the trumpet, recorder, and a little piano. The only one I didn't teach myself was the trumpet.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Heh, I played piano for a few years, but I quit, because I really didn't like it. I wanted to start violin in the first place... but noooo... Mom said no. [-(

I want to start guitar too, it seems fun. :P

Every year, my piano teacher forced me to enter into piano recitals, even though I hated them. :P Haha.

*wanders off*

He he,
Sarah
Hope
You like me! You really like me!
You like me! You really like me!

Post by Hope »

I played the piano for 7 yrs. I also play clarinet. I have been playing that for 4 yrs. With piano I have won quite a few awards but nothing important. :-({|=
crosskritters
Fourscore and seven

Post by crosskritters »

Trent DeWhite wrote:

--Kat
OK I make a somewhat melodious sound on the violin, viola, flute, piano, dulcimer, recorder, zither, maybe drum, and probably more that I can't think of.

--Kat
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

I play the piano, and I learned to play violin just a little. I want to learn how to play the guitar now...