The 4th of July in Germany

Yeah... It's not fun.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

The 4th of July in Germany

Post by Evil Chick »

Celebrating the 4th of July in Germany (or any other foreign country, I would imagine) is different. It's almost a sad holiday here, because it's yet another reminder that we are not in America. But we try to make the most of it.

Obviously, the 4th of July is not a holiday in Germany. So the kids still have school and homework, and my mom still has to go to work. We still have to deal with the normal everyday routine. We still attempt to make the day as special as we can. This includes wearing patriotic clothing, making banners and hanging up flags, having typical American food, and listening to patriotic among other things. Although this is not altogether unusual behavior for the 4th of July under normal circumstances, it is rather conspicuous here in Germany. Not only do Germans not celebrate the American Independence Day (for obvious reasons), but they cannot understand the "big deal" that we make of the holiday.

Germans are not patriotic. At all. Generally, they don't see anything in their country that's worth being proud of unless it's related to soccer. Also, if they act patriotic at all, they are accused of being Nazis. While I find it very sad that so many Germans are even ashamed of their nationality, they cannot understand how anyone else would want to be patriotic, either. So, when we have flags and banners and patriotic music, they wonder what's wrong with us. Someone even told my dad today that our celebration reminded him of the way they celebrated Hitler's birthday. (Although, I must admit, I'm not entirely certain what that is supposed to mean...)

We have our small celebration with hamburgers and s'mores in spite of what others think of us, though. (Contrary to apparent popular German belief that Americans have turkey for the 4th of July...) So we have our lunch and are then forced to get back to our regular activities for the day. We don't even get any fireworks.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

Don't worry Evil Chick you not the only.And ate hamburgers we had to ate the same Irish pototaes,and the only thing remind us that their Independece day was the change in the AIO eps.

Just kidding but some of that is ture.

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Aww, it sounds like your day wasn't too fun, Heidi. :( I'm glad that your family still does their best to celebrate, even though you're far from home! \:D/ And I learned something today about the difference between Thanksgiving and the 4th of July. ;)

I'm glad that you at least had the AIO episodes to help you celebrate, Rodenyrathbone! :)
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Well, I can sympathize with you, Heidi. \:D/

Mexicans may jump at any chance they can get to party, but the 4th of July is not one of them. We did get those loud banging things that they have the audacity to call fireworks, though. \:D/

My Mother didn't even know that it was the 4th of July. That was kind of tragic. ;)
don't forget the rain.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I used to live in Germany, so I know what you mean. We celebrated much the same way that you did, we ate american food and wore patriotic clothes, but we didn't hang up any flags or make any banners.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I imagine England is even less thrilled about the American Fourth of July . . . a reminder of losing a valuble colony and getting their buns kicked in a war...ya, probably not fans.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I can sympathize. Here in Rome, 4th of July isn't acknowledged - although there is little reason why it should be.

We "attempted" to celebrate by grilling hamburgers etc, but for some reason the meat was a little questionable. We ended up sticking to the 'traditional' favourites of pasta, fish and gelato.

Happy (belated) 4th of July! ;)
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

lIVING IN eNGLAND WE DIdnt do much last year we went to another American famils h
ouse for dinner.
This year we had a nice dinner BBQ chicken, backed Potatoes ,corn onthe cob etc.
And that was about it.
My did looked for fireworks but couldnt find any.
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

Puss n Boots wrote:lIVING IN eNGLAND WE DIdnt do much last year we went to another American famils h
ouse for dinner.
This year we had a nice dinner BBQ chicken, backed Potatoes ,corn onthe cob etc.
And that was about it.
My did looked for fireworks but couldnt find any.
Excellent diplomatic relations not withstanding, it would be a little peculiar to find a fireworks show celebrating the loss of the colonies in England. If any of you recall the Reagan funeral service, however, perhaps you'll remember that a British military band performed the Star-Spangled Banner. Amusingly, they played four verses, whereas the National Anthem only has three. One of the original stanzas was dropped during WWII, since, fighting alongside the British, we no longer thought it polite to sing about British blood blotting out their foul footstep's pollution, or reminding them of their use of German mercenaries ("the hiring and slave").
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

Heh..

I always wondered why we never sang the rest of the verses.

Someone told be it was because one had to be British in order to get them correct. ^_^
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

The real reason we don't sing the other two that are still part of the anthem is because they're almost unsingable.
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

For what reason?

No melody, offensive lyrics, or perhaps a lack of a cockney accent? ;)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Probably because it was written as a poem rather than lyrics. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

When I was in Ireland last summer, I realized how much 4th of July meant to me, even though I had never really thought about it before and how much I took it for granted before. I felt so .....alone over there! No fireworks....no family getting together...no sense of togetherness or celebration.

Glad you were at least able to celebrate with your family!
to His glory
Fourscore and seven

Post by to His glory »

I spent New Years in Germany, it was awsome. The bad thing is that I am in a choir and we were on tour and well I lost my voice, my director was not to happy with us. It was still a blast though.
1 peter 3:15
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Catspaw wrote:Aww, it sounds like your day wasn't too fun, Heidi. :( I'm glad that your family still does their best to celebrate, even though you're far from home! \:D/ And I learned something today about the difference between Thanksgiving and the 4th of July. ;)

I'm glad that you at least had the AIO episodes to help you celebrate, Rodenyrathbone! :)
Is there a 4th of July in Canada Catspaw?
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

No, the Canadian calendar jumps from July 3 to July 5.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

No. 4th of July holiday in Canada?
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Why would a country that remained loyal to the crown celebrate American independence?
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

I don't know, I'm just asking, are you in Canada, CA?