Guys Holding Doors

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Rachel Maxwell
Classic

Guys Holding Doors

Post by Rachel Maxwell »

Are any girls here offended by guys holding doors? I've heard that some people get furious about it, and it mystifies me. I think it's sweet.
Britt-Votin' went off real smooth. Not but one shootin', and that turned out to be just a flesh wound.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Why would a girl be offended by a guy being polite? :-k

Like you Rachel, I think it's a sweet gesture as well.
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

Some females think that guys who hold doors for them and offer them their seats are trying to show that the male sex is superior...which is bogus...but yeah. I personally find it offensive when guys don't hold doors or offer their seats to girls (not just for me, but girls in general). But I guess the crowd of guys I hang around most of the time is pretty polite (especially my bros :) ), so I'm spoiled. :D

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Rachel Maxwell
Classic

Post by Rachel Maxwell »

I see it more of a gesture of respect, like, I hold doors for older people. Not because I think they can't or anything. It seems very rude when someone lets the door slam in your face (male or female). Kinda funny when they can't decide whether to open it or not, and it almost shuts and they catch it. :D
Britt-Votin' went off real smooth. Not but one shootin', and that turned out to be just a flesh wound.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

yeah, I've read that some women get all uptight about guys holding open doors, offering them thier seat etc. I think it's very gentlemanly and sweet. That is one of the reasons that I sometimes wish I was born 200 years earlier. I think that men in general were much more courteous towards women. And women in general were more feminine and didn't do stupid things like get mad at a guy because he held the door open for her.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

No, I don't. It's just polite for anyone to do. I do it all the time.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
FrayedAroundTheEdges
i hold the hand that holds the world

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

I find it flattering when a guy does all that for a me *or anyother girl for that matter*. Because the point is he should lol it has nothing to do with guyz being superior or whatever its just polite \:D/
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

My brother will hold the door for his girlfriend but not for me! :shame:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'm terribly offended if a guy doesn't hold the door open for me. :noway:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
FrayedAroundTheEdges

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I'm terribly offended if a guy doesn't hold the door open for me. :noway:
HAHAHAHA :rofl:
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

I'm usually the one stuck holding the door... :anxious: I don't mind when guys hold the door open, but it rarely happens... :noway: But, I also don't care if they don't hold it open.
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

My brothers never really got into the hold-the-door-open-for-your-sisters thing. Not that they didn't think we deserved it, they just... didn't. *shrugs* They do it for other girls on a regular basis. But I guess we're too special for that, or something. :P

Recently, a guy held a door open for me at a conference (he just happened to be an online friend that I was meeting for the first time), I was not only surprised, but pleased. I think that holding a door open for a girl should be the way a guy says that he thinks that she's importand and cares. Cares in general, that is. No one likes seeing someone walk around like they own the world. Respect and care are good things. :yes:

Guys, be polite! :shame:

;)
don't forget the rain.
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

Yeah, I do my best to hold doors for people too. I usually don't hold the doors for guys unless they're carrying something, I mean, I don't let it slam in their faces, I make sure they catch it. But once I held the door for my older brother, he said it was "not proper" to do, so yeah :anxious:

I just let guys open door for me and say "thanks" as I pass. And give the ones who don't open it for me evil looks.

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I think it's great when men hold doors etc. for women. \:D/ Watson is so nice, he always holds the door for me - he did tonight when we went to the library. :hug:
Of course, ANYONE should be courteous enough to hold the door open if someone else is right behind you. Too bad basic manners and chivalry has gone out the window for the most part these days.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

My granddad said he did that once, (and he's 90 now mind you) and the woman in question got angry at him for doing that. That was back when he was a young man. He's told my sisters and I that whoever we date should hold the door open for us because we're worth it.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I am neutral/appreciative, it isn't an issue I feel strongly on; on the other hand, I don't understand why anyone would dislike the trope enough to make them angry...

(On the other other hand, 'Guys Holding Doors' seems like a good band name. For that matter, everything makes a good band name to me.)
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I do it a lot of the time.. Mostly for my family.. I've always viewed it as something polite.. :-s
...I hate marquees.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

It's always nice when guys hold doors open, although- it doesn't always happen. :)

If I'm at like a Speech and Debate tournament, or at TeenPact....guys always hold doors open for me.

*cough*

But then when we get back...the same guys will just go through the door and leave me behind. :roll:
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I think it's great when a guy thinks to do that. Not many do anymore. Whenever someone's close behind me, I always wait for them to come up to the door. If it's an older person or couple, I hold the door open for them. If it's a guy, I walk through but hold the door out so he can grab the handle. If I get there the same time as a guy, sometimes (hopefully) he'll step ahead and open the door for me to walk through. Really, if everyone were to follow "door etiquette," walking in and out of buildings would go a lot smoother for everyone. It just works well.

I hate when I hold the door for someone to take, and then they don't, and then there's a long line of people coming in while I'm stuck holding the door. One of the hazards of being polite, I guess.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

I generally open the door for everyone.

I know my mom, and her friends enjoy it, My dad doesnt really care, Not sure about my girlfriend, but i know this one girl, if i would open the door for her, or pull out her chair, she acted like i was showering her with love. She LOVED it. So, yeah I do it for everyone, especially the elderly, and such like.

Ryan