What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie, I often think of you when I read or hear something about Lincoln! I hope you enjoy your new book.

I'm starting "Nothing Short of Wondrous" by Regina Jennings. It's the second book in her American Wonders series. The first one focused on the Grand Canyon in 1871 and this one is focused on Yellowstone National Park in 1886. I love how historical fiction brings the past to life. I also appreciate how this author has referenced the forcible removal of the peoples who previously inhabited the land. The older I get, the more uncomfortable I am with books that refer to the wide open west, just waiting to be inhabited, when that certainly is a much happier and less truthful version than reality. I'm more familiar with Canadian missteps in that area than American ones, and I realize that not every book wants to focus on injustice from the past. I've only read the first few chapters so I don't know if the brief reference is all there will be, but even if it is, that's enough to acknowledge that history is complicated.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Lincoln's Mentors, very good. Up next for me is Unknown Threat by Lynn H. Blackburn, this is the first book in her Defend and Protect series/trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm on to "A View Most Glorious" by Regina Jennings, the third book in the series I've been reading through.
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

I finished Darth Plagueis the other day. Usually I love star wars books but this one wasn't that great.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished Unknown Threat, excellent story. Up next for me is A Flicker of Light by Katie Powner.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

I haven’t had time to do much reading since my last post here. However, I did read His Name Is Still Mudd, by Edward Steers Jr. over the holidays, good book. I am now starting 36 Hours to Save the President, by Alan L. Trock.
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished A Flicker of Light, very good book. Up next for me is Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

I finally finished The Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy today. It's pretty weird for a Star Wars book, but I thought it was amazing.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey. It took me longer than I wanted to finish because of a finger injury due to me falling outside, in the dark after freezing rain, not one of my smart moments. It was a very good book. Up next is Carved in Stone by Elizabeth Camden.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Lost in Darkness" by Michelle Griep. It's really interesting so far! I could tell from the back that there will be Frankenstein references, which isn't my favourite book or genre, but it is a classic for a reason, and I think the story is going in a creative direction.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Carved in Stone, excellent story. Up next for me is 'Til I Want No More by Robin W. Pearson.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I just read "Galactic Odyssey" by Keith Laumer. It's a random and fun romp across a big galaxy full of humans and non-human lifeforms. A random dude from Earth ends up as a stowaway on an interstellar spaceship and his adventure begins there and gets exciting. It has a decent amount of worldbuilding, told from an evolutionary perspective (which I disagree with) like most science fiction. It's merely an adventure story and does not have a moral like Star Trek.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished 'Til I Want No More, very good. Up next for me is Shadows of the White City by Jocelyn Green. It is the second book in her Windy City Saga.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "To Steal a Heart" by Jen Turano, the first book in her Bleecker Street Inquiry Agency series. She typically writes trilogies that are closely connected, so I just waited for all three books to be out before I started the series. It's off to quite an amusing start so far!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

"Patton" by Charles Whiting, part of the Ballantine's Illustratd History of World War II: War Leader Book, No 1.
I'm almost to the end.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Just finished Till We Have Faces by the incomparable C.S. Lewis. First fiction book I've read in quite a while. It reminded me of how good Lewis's stuff is.
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The mention of C.S. Lewis reminded me that I'm reading "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." It really is such a good book! It's a classic for a reason.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Shadows of the White City, excellent book. Up next for me is The London Restoration by Rachel McMillan, first time reading this author.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I'm currently rereading the Blood of Kings trilogy by Jill Williamson and just started From Darkness Won today. I was a little apprehensive to pick these books up again because I loved them SO much when I was in high school, but I've been so pleasantly surprised by how good they really are.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:13 pm The mention of C.S. Lewis reminded me that I'm reading "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." It really is such a good book! It's a classic for a reason.
Pirate Oriana wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:21 pm Just finished Till We Have Faces by the incomparable C.S. Lewis. First fiction book I've read in quite a while. It reminded me of how good Lewis's stuff is.
I didn't plan it this way, but I started last year by rereading The Chronicles of Narnia, and finished the year with Till We Have Faces. Been diving into some of his non fiction stuff too. I'm convinced the man was a genius.