What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I just finished "Daughter of the Moon Goddess" by Sue Lynn Tan. It's loosely based on Chinese mythology and was really, really good. My first five-star book of the year!

Now I'm reading "Things We Didn't Say" by Amy Lynn Green. It's also very good! Maybe I should just pick books by authors with the middle name "Lynn." :lol:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Currently reading Mulberry Hollow by Denise Hunter. It is the second book in her Riverbend Romance trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "You're Only Human: How Your Limits Reflect God's Design and Why That's Good News" by Kelly M. Kapic. I saw it recommended somewhere (I forget where...) :anxious: and it sounded really interesting.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished All That It Takes by Nicole Deese, wonderful story. Up next for me is The Story of Love by Beth Wiseman. It is the second book in her Amish Bookstore series/trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've heard good things about Nicole Deese books but haven't read any myself yet. It's good to hear you enjoyed her book so much!

I'm starting "The Heart's Charge" by Karen Witemeyer. I always enjoy her books!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I read a lot of history and historical fiction that I sometimes feel like I'm living in a time warp. I will buy just about any contemporary Christian author. I finished The Story of Love. It was good. It had three characters I did not like and the author put a little suspense in the story which given that the first book did not have any I thought it unnecessary. Up next for me is Beside Still Waters by Tricia Goyer, it is the first book in her Big Sky trilogy. I found out today that she has a new trilogy (I've already ordered the first book) that is a continuation of the Big Sky trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love historical fiction too! I enjoy contemporary books, but I often find myself reaching for a historical book first.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Beside the Still Waters, very good. I did not like the main female character at first but warmed up to her later in the book. Up next for me is Malicious Intent by Lynn H. Blackburn, it is the second book in her Defend and Protect series.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "In Honor's Defense" by Karen Witemeyer. It's the third book in her Hanger's Horseman series. The first two were great, especially the second one. It's a trilogy but there's four main guys in the group, so the second book had two different (very connected) storylines and it was done really well. I'm looking forward to the end of the series!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Yesterday I finished Love's Mountain Quest by Misty M. Baller, it is the second book in her Hearts of Montana series, very good. I started Hearts of Steel by Elizabeth Camden. This is the third and final book in her Blackstone Legacy trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "My Phony Valentine" by Courtney Walsh. I've seen some of her books but never read any before. I couldn't resist this one because it's a fake dating story with a hockey player as a main character. There are way too few hockey books out there (I blame the American obsession with football, personally) plus I'm a sucker for a good fake dating story. Here's hoping it's a good book, because I will be very disappointed otherwise.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm currently reading The Souls of Lost Lake by Jaime Jo Wright.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I recently read "Winnie's Great War" by Lindsay Mattick. It's a kids chapter book based around the true story of the origins of Winnie the Pooh, which tells a story based on historical fact and imagination. There are some entries directly from the journal of Harry Colebourn, the Canadian soldier headed to serve as a vet in WW! when he bought a little bear cub for $20 and named her Winnipeg, after his hometown. It was a great read. A very easy read for an adult, and definitely not for little kids due to the war parts, though they are sensitively addressed. Maybe ages ten and up, depending on the kid. I highly recommend it as a very good story.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I am over halfway through Authentically, Izzy by Pepper Basham, very good.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The Hammer of God by Bo Giertz
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished Authentically, Izzy, absolutely fantastic! Sadly I have to wait until August for the next book. Up next for me is What Happens Next by Christina Suzann Nelson.
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

I just finished The Han Solo Adventures trilogy. The author really didn't know how to write Han Solo to sound like Han Solo, but it was still entertaining.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Patterson wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:15 pm I just finished The Han Solo Adventures trilogy. The author really didn't know how to write Han Solo to sound like Han Solo, but it was still entertaining.
I love Han, so this is intriguing to me! I've never read any Star Wars books (other than listening to one Thrawn audiobook). I like Star Wars and reading so it seems like I should one of these days. Would you recommend it for someone who originally mostly wanted to watch more Star Wars because of Han saying, "I know?" :inlove:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

On Thursday I started Isaiah's Daughter by Mesa Andrews, very good so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "Under the Texas Mistletoe" by Karen Witemeyer. It has three Christmas novellas. I'm the kind of person who enjoys Christmas stuff any time of year, and reading Karen Witemeyer's books recently has reminded me of how much I enjoy her books!