What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished First Family: George Washington's Heirs and the Making of America by Cassandra A. Good, excellent book. Up next for me is The Metropolitan Affair by Jocelyn Green.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Ali
Lurker
Post by Ali »

I like cleopatra in space. 6 BOOKS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

ROBOT ARMS COOL
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm currently reading The Heart's Charge Book 2 in the Hanger's Horsemen trilogy by Karen Witemeyer.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Rereading IT - Stephen King.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "The Lost Melody" by Joanna Davidson Politano. This is the first book I've read by this author and it's really good so far. It's an interesting style and the story has me wondering what's going on and what will happen next!
Bananareader
Gold Member
Post by Bananareader »

I am currently listening to an audiobook of The Sword in the stone.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished The Heart's Charge, excellent. Up next for me is President Garfield: From Radical to Unifier by C. W. Goodyear.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bananareader wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:09 pm I am currently listening to an audiobook of The Sword in the stone.
Audiobooks are awesome! I was listening to "The Fellowship of the Ring" while I was baking the other day. :D

I'm starting "Love on the Range" by Mary Connealy. It's the third in her Brothers in Arms series and I'm looking forward to some mysterious things being resolved from the second book!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished the Garfield bio, excellent. First time reading about him. Up next for me is Yesterday's Tides by Roseanna M. White.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, for a second I thought you said you finished a Garfield comic book, Laurie. :lol: Nothing wrong with that, but not your usual reading. After a closer look it made a lot more sense.

I'm starting "You're Only Human: How Your Limits Reflect God's Design and Why That's Good News" by Kelly M. Kapic. It looks interesting.
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

I just finished listening to audiobooks of Redwall and Young Whit #1(it's on the club right now). Young Whit was pretty good!
I thought it was interesting that it seemed to tie into The Jesus Cloth episode in the epilogue. It seems pretty obvious that Whit's blue cloth has no healing powers, but I'm intrigued to see where that storyline goes. The "ghost" was cliché as the relative of an old baddie trying to scare people off has been done to death, but other than that I loved it.

Last month, I finished listening to The Purloining of Prince Oleomargarine, an unfinished Mark Twain story that someone else completed. It was great! I loved how Twain was depicted as a grumpy narrator while the other author was trying to convince Twain to lighten up a little.

I also finished listening to Star Wars: Darksaber. It isn't about the darksaber (Mandalorian lightaber) from the tv shows, but is instead about a knockoff death star called the Darksaber. The character of Dorsk-81 joins my ever-expanding list of favorite obscure jedi. \:D/

The last book I finished reading was Star Wars Republic Commando book 2: Triple Zero. It was really good! It had a lot of swearing (at least it was in Mando'a, not English) that I wish they had left out, but the author does an amazing job at giving all the clones distinct personalities and crafting action scenes. Karen Travis is one of my favorite Star Wars authors, but she does have a tendency to add unnecessary drama between characters.

Right now I'm making my way through Heart of The Jedi. It started off slow, but it's picking up steam in the middle here. Luke's bantha jousting adventure was pretty good. The book's in some kind of weird publishing limbo, but Lucasfilm allowed the author to put it up free online. I converted it into an ebook, but the ebook has some formatting issue that takes out the breaks when the book switches between character groups. That's led to some unintentionally funny moments and quite a few double takes my part. :lol:
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I want to check out the Young Whit books sometimes just for fun, so thanks for sharing about the audiobook in the club, Patterson! I might give it a try. You sound like a big Star Wars fan, so I know you have good taste. :yes:

I'm starting "Fairest of Heart," the latest from Karen Witemeyer. Her books are guaranteed to be awesome, so I'm looking forward to it.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Yesterday's Tides, very good. Up next for me is In Feast or Famine by Mesa Andrews.
baysimp
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by baysimp »

I'm starting The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart. I somehow missed this series for years, but now that I'm finally reading it, they're some of my favorite books! (I opted to read the main series in order and save this one, the prequel, for last, even though that's not the order they were written.)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm about to read "The Lazy Genius Way" by Kendra Adochi. I heard about it and thought it sounded interesting, but not interesting enough to pay money for. ;) Luckily, my local library has it, so I reserved it and it was in for me to pick up today.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished In Feast or Famine, excellent. Up next for me is Building a Future by Amy Clipston. It is the second book in her Amish Legacy trilogy.
Bananareader
Gold Member
Post by Bananareader »

baysimp wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:43 pm I'm starting The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart. I somehow missed this series for years, but now that I'm finally reading it, they're some of my favorite books! (I opted to read the main series in order and save this one, the prequel, for last, even though that's not the order they were written.)
This is the only book in the series that I haven’t read yet, but I probably will read it sometime.
I am currently reading All the Wrong Questions book 2: When did You See Her Last? which is part of a prequel series to A Series of Unfortunate Events.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bananareader wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:41 pm
baysimp wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:43 pm I'm starting The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart. I somehow missed this series for years, but now that I'm finally reading it, they're some of my favorite books! (I opted to read the main series in order and save this one, the prequel, for last, even though that's not the order they were written.)
This is the only book in the series that I haven’t read yet, but I probably will read it sometime.
I am currently reading All the Wrong Questions book 2: When did You See Her Last? which is part of a prequel series to A Series of Unfortunate Events.
How is the prequel series? I liked the original series and the Netflix show but haven't read the prequel series.
Bananareader
Gold Member
Post by Bananareader »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:32 pm How is the prequel series? I liked the original series and the Netflix show but haven't read the prequel series.
I'm enjoying reading it. All the Wrong Questions series is basically a mystery book series, with a 13-year-old Lemony Snicket as the main character, it also includes appearances of other characters from a series of Unfortunate events, especially in Book 2, for example in this book there are three characters who are named in this book, but they resemble some of the unnamed characters from A series of Unfortunate Events, they also have some appearance of the named characters from a series of Unfortunate events. Personally, I'm just curious if the book series will include an appearance by Count Olaf or the Baudelaire parents. They also have descriptions of different books that the main character read but not the title, so I haven't figured all of them out yet. I am also enjoying the mystery elements, different location and the new characters, and I think this might have some history of VFD in it. I also like that Lemony Snicket still explains the meanings of some of the words. It's also not as depressing as A series of Unfortunate Events, it's also possibly a little longer than A series of Unfortunate Events, though I'm not sure, but I think you should try it, because you liked A Series of Unfortunate Events you might like this one as well.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bananareader wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:05 pm
Catspaw wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:32 pm How is the prequel series? I liked the original series and the Netflix show but haven't read the prequel series.
I'm enjoying reading it. All the Wrong Questions series is basically a mystery book series, with a 13-year-old Lemony Snicket as the main character, it also includes appearances of other characters from a series of Unfortunate events, especially in Book 2, for example in this book there are three characters who are named in this book, but they resemble some of the unnamed characters from A series of Unfortunate Events, they also have some appearance of the named characters from a series of Unfortunate events. Personally, I'm just curious if the book series will include an appearance by Count Olaf or the Baudelaire parents. They also have descriptions of different books that the main character read but not the title, so I haven't figured all of them out yet. I am also enjoying the mystery elements, different location and the new characters, and I think this might have some history of VFD in it. I also like that Lemony Snicket still explains the meanings of some of the words. It's also not as depressing as A series of Unfortunate Events, it's also possibly a little longer than A series of Unfortunate Events, though I'm not sure, but I think you should try it, because you liked A Series of Unfortunate Events you might like this one as well.
Thanks for the info! That does sound pretty interesting. It would be fun to look for all the little clues and connections. I just might give it a try. :D