What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

On Saturday I finished Hearts Made Whole by Jody Hedlund, very good. I have to wait until next year for the next one though. I started The Hatmaker's Heart by Carla Stewart (new author for me), excellent book although one of the male characters was totally unlikeable. Up next for me is With Every Breath by Elizabeth Camden.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm re-reading some short stories by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I really love her short stories. There's a variety of genres and they're so well written!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished With Every Breath, excellent. I'm now reading When Grace Sings by Kim Vogel Sawyer. This book is the second book in Ms. Sawyer's Zimmerman Restoration Trilogy, very good so far. The final book in the trilogy comes out in September.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Rereading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, while reading a new book: Joss Whedon, the Complete Companion.
It's really good, it talks about all the tv shows, movies and comics he's created. And as a fan, it's a joy. Plus it's from an academic point of view, which I've never read before

Till the end of the line.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Today I finished Harbor of the Heart by Katherine Spencer. This book is the fifth (and sadly I think final) book in Thomas Kinkade's Angel Island series. This series along with the Cape Light series were started before Mr. Kinkade's unfortunate passing. I love both of these series and this book was wonderful just like all of the others. I am now reading Someday Home by Lauraine Snelling, excellent so far.
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

Have you read other books by Snelling?
I've read the entire High Hurdles series and the Golden Filly series. She is an amazing writer!
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Lizzy88 wrote:Have you read other books by Snelling?
I've read the entire High Hurdles series and the Golden Filly series. She is an amazing writer!
I've read a lot of her books. Her Red River of the North series is wonderful. Just about all of her books are on my keeper shelf. She is and has been a favorite of mine for as long as I've been reading Christian fiction.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm so excited! The new Christy and Todd: The Married Years book just arrived, so "One More Wish" by Robin Jones Gunn is my next book! \:D/ I've really been looking forward to this one.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:I'm so excited! The new Christy and Todd: The Married Years book just arrived, so "One More Wish" by Robin Jones Gunn is my next book! \:D/ I've really been looking forward to this one.
You are way ahead of me Catspaw. I did not even know that book was coming out. I put it on my wish list at Amazon and will buy it eventually. I have some big time catching up to do with the Christy Miller series.
I am currently reading The Crimson Cord by Jill Eileen Smith, it is the first book in her Daughters of the Promised Land series/trilogy. Very good so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I'm so excited! The new Christy and Todd: The Married Years book just arrived, so "One More Wish" by Robin Jones Gunn is my next book! \:D/ I've really been looking forward to this one.
You are way ahead of me Catspaw. I did not even know that book was coming out. I put it on my wish list at Amazon and will buy it eventually. I have some big time catching up to do with the Christy Miller series.
I am currently reading The Crimson Cord by Jill Eileen Smith, it is the first book in her Daughters of the Promised Land series/trilogy. Very good so far.
Robin Jones Gunn's my favourite author (well, one of them, at least) ;) and I was looking forward to it a lot! I pre-ordered from her shop and I think I got it a little earlier that way. I just finished it and it was so good! The problem now is that I so much want the next book already, and it will be a while. I definitely recommend it when you get around to it. :yes:

I'm going to start "Unspoken" by Dee Henderson. I bought it when it first came out and let several friends borrow it already, but never got around to reading it! :anxious: I know it will be really good, but I was always reading something else.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Crimson Cord last night, excellent book. Of course I'm rather biased as Jill Eileen Smith is one of my favorite authors.;) I am now reading Secrets She Kept by Cathy Gohlke, another favorite of mine.
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

I just started reading "Can You Be Gay and Christian" by Michael L. Brown. He came to our church back home, and he preached on this subject. I never got to reading the book, but something came up recently, which triggered some questions in my mind about how the church should react to homosexuality. I'm not sure what it'll be like, but I'm hoping that it'll give me some insight about my questions.
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Undetected" by Dee Henderson, another one of her books that I got behind on. :anxious: It's very interesting so far, and a little different from her last few books. I haven't read the military-themed books that she wrote for a long time, but it's maybe more like that in the sense that a main character is in the Navy and there's all the lingo that goes with that. It's a great read so far, and, as always with Dee Henderson, I'm wondering what's going to happen!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Secrets She Kept by Cathy Gohlke, very moving and very good. Up next for me is Honor by Lyn Cote. It is the first book in her Quaker Brides series/trilogy. I was in the local Family Christian Store and the lady who works there that I've known for a long time was asking me if I'd read it. I told her no because there is an ebook that I was reading that precedes this one. I finally finished the ebook last week and can start this one. Apparently my friend is not into ebooks, a real shame. I believe you get more of the story if you read the ebooks.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, the free ebooks that are prequels or sequels or whatever can be very nice!

I just finished "Taken" by Dee Henderson. That's her newest book, so I'm finally all caught up on her books! It was great, as I expected. :D Now I'm back to waiting eagerly for her next book, whenever that will be!
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

I just finished my first book for school: The Scarlet Letter. I thought it would be rather dull and pointless...but I actually really liked it. ^_^ It showed the different ways guilt works in your life, among other things. The book was a bit..wordy. (I doubt there were 100 words under 3 syllables :P) But, it was still a good book to start off the year. ;)
Countess
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Countess »

I at first thought you said the book was a bit "worldly" I was like: O_o I have read that book too and found its big words very refreshing for the mind. ;)

I am currently reading "The Light in my Window" a sequel to one of my favorite books of all times. However I find it to be not as good as its sequel, nor the plot well constructed.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Honor last night, very good. I can now tell my friend that I have indeed read it and recommend it to her. I have started The Beekeeper's Son by Kelly Irvin, it is the first book in her The Amish of Bee County trilogy series. I found out by looking on Amazon that the second one in the series/trilogy comes out at the end of September. Kelly Irvin is another favorite author of mine.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Countess wrote: I am currently reading "The Light in my Window" a sequel to one of my favorite books of all times. However I find it to be not as good as its sequel, nor the plot well constructed.
Really? I read "The Light in my Window" before I knew there was a book that came before it, so maybe I'm biased, but it was always my favourite over "Not My Will." I haven't read them in such a long time that maybe I would think differently now, I suppose. It might be time to read them again!

I'm about to start "Heiress" bu Susan May Warren. I've had it for way too long and have yet to read it for some odd reason. She's one of my favourite authors, so I'm sure the book will be great!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:
Countess wrote: I am currently reading "The Light in my Window" a sequel to one of my favorite books of all times. However I find it to be not as good as its sequel, nor the plot well constructed.
Really? I read "The Light in my Window" before I knew there was a book that came before it, so maybe I'm biased, but it was always my favourite over "Not My Will." I haven't read them in such a long time that maybe I would think differently now, I suppose. It might be time to read them again!

I'm about to start "Heiress" bu Susan May Warren. I've had it for way too long and have yet to read it for some odd reason. She's one of my favourite authors, so I'm sure the book will be great!
I have Heiress too and still haven't read it yet, I think I bought it when it first came out. There are two books that follow Heiress, if you decide you want them let me know and I will post them here.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:40 am, edited 6 times in total.