What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I might read these too.

Now reading A Road More or Less Traveled
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Spice King, excellent story. Up next for me is Obsession by Patricia Bradley It is book two in her Natchez Trace Park Rangers trilogy/series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Obsession, wonderful book. Up next for me is Lincoln on the Verge: Thirteen Days to Washington by Ted Widmer.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Finished Pilgrim, read The Hand on My Scalpel, now on Through Gates of Splendor
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Lincoln on the Verge, excellent book. Now it's back to fiction and paperbacks for a time. Up next for me is The Escape by Lisa Harris, it is the first book in her US Marshalls trilogy/series.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm just starting "Hunted for Christmas" by Jill Elizabeth Nelson. The first couple of chapters are off to an exciting start!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Escape, excellent book. Up next for me is A Long Time Comin' by Robin W. Pearson, first time reading this author. 
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:18 am
Catspaw wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:03 pm
Laurie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:56 pm I finished Acceptable Risk, excellent story!! Up next for me is Husband Auditions by Angela Ruth Strong, new author for me. This is a Christian rom com. Think Hallmark Channel or UpTV. 
Not gonna lie, that book sounds like fun! Thanks for mentioning it, Laurie. I'm not familiar with the author or the book but I think I might like it. Let us know what you think when you're done, Laurie.
You are very welcome Catspaw. Husband Auditions was excellent!! It made me laugh in spots and kept me turning the pages. I had never heard of Ms. Strong either but decided to give her a try. I'm glad I did!! I love finding new authors. I will be reading more of her books.
I started reading "Husband Auditions" today, thanks to Laurie's recommendation. \:D/ I ordered it through my local Christian bookstore and it took a while to come in, and then I was reading something else. The first few chapters were fun so far - I like the alternating perspectives. Thanks Laurie!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Currently reading a fascinating memoir titled Out of the Shadows by J Thomas Lapacka.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

You are welcome Catspaw!! I hope you enjoy the rest of the book. I thought it was a very fun read.
Yesterday I finished The Mistletoe Inn by Richard Paul Evans, I love his books. I'm now reading The Pharaoh's Daughter by Mesu Andrews.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

"The End of Money: Counterfeiters, Preachers, Techies, Dreamers--and the Coming Cashless Society" by David Wolman. I had visited my public library to look for books about the British decimalization of their money in 1971. The OCLC website said a few books on the topic were Dewey Decimal Code 332.4. My local library didn't have any books on the subject, but this book by Wolman was in the same area and sounded interesting.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Currently reading The Dress Shop on King Street by Ashley Clark.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just started "A Distance Too Grand" by Regina Scott. I enjoy her books and have all three books in the series, so I plan to read through these next. I bought each one as they came out and decided to wait for all to be available before I started reading the series.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished The Dress Shop on King Street, excellent story. Up next for me is The Thief of Blackfriars Lane by Michelle Griep.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

"How the Telegraph Changed the World."
President Lincoln of the United States wast he first president to directly influence daily operations of the military by utilizing this new technology. The North aggressor in the US Civil War suffered the same types of problems as the South aggressor (lazy/absent/drunk telegraph operators) but was still able to make good use of the telegraph. The first several attempts to lay a trans-Atlantic telegraph cable failed, but the same guy kept trying and trying. Eventually, they got it going in the late 1860s (just after the aforementioned US Civil War). The first wire could support 15 words a minute instead of 400 like over-land cables, so it actually wasn't that interesting at first.

People like diplomats were actually disinterested in the telegraph because now diplomatic choices could be made by the home government, which greatly diminished the free-wheeling authority previously held by said diplomats.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

KODY, that sounds super interesting!

I'm starting "They Say We Are Infidels: On the run from ISIS with persecuted Christians in the Middle East" by Mindy Belz. I'm still reading "A Distance Too Grand" but this new one sounds more like a book I'll read a chapter or two at a time, like I often do with non-fiction.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote:I'm starting "They Say We Are Infidels: On the run from ISIS with persecuted Christians in the Middle East" by Mindy Belz.
That just got added to my list.

Starting the book Till We Have Faces by CS Lewis.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:45 am
Catspaw wrote:I'm starting "They Say We Are Infidels: On the run from ISIS with persecuted Christians in the Middle East" by Mindy Belz.
That just got added to my list.

Starting the book Till We Have Faces by CS Lewis.
I think you'll definitely appreciate it. I found Mindy Belz on Twitter when I was looking for reliable information with a Christian perspective during the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan a few months ago and really appreciated her articles. This book caught my attention and I think it will be well worth the read.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Thief of Blackfriars Lane, good story. Up next for me is Lincoln's Mentors by Michael J. Gerhardt. I spoke with my cousin in NM yesterday. He shares my interest in Lincoln. He is listening to this book via Audible and told me it is very good. I could not decide what fiction I wanted to read next so I decided to start this book.