What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:25 pm Going Clear by the incomparable Lawrence Wright. It's an expose about scientology, L. Ron Hubbard, and David Miscavige
That sounds a really interesting read, if possibly stomach-turning at times.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:37 pm
Jonathan wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:25 pm Going Clear by the incomparable Lawrence Wright. It's an expose about scientology, L. Ron Hubbard, and David Miscavige
That sounds a really interesting read, if possibly stomach-turning at times.
Yes, and yes. Hubbard was a disturbed man.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Catspaw wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:28 pm
Marvin D. wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:59 am Finding Me - Viola Davis :inlove:
This caught my attention for a second until I realized that I thought it said Viola Desmond, which would have been a more obscure choice, particularly for a non-Canadian. My bad. ;) https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/ ... la-desmond
that was actually an interesting read, thanks Catspaw! but yes, not the same Viola indeed ;)
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Marvin D. wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:25 am
Catspaw wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:28 pm
Marvin D. wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:59 am Finding Me - Viola Davis :inlove:
This caught my attention for a second until I realized that I thought it said Viola Desmond, which would have been a more obscure choice, particularly for a non-Canadian. My bad. ;) https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/ ... la-desmond
that was actually an interesting read, thanks Catspaw! but yes, not the same Viola indeed ;)
Always happy to educate! :D

I'm starting "The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us From Violence" by Gavin De Becker. I read a preview online and it was fascinating, so I bought the book.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Currently reading Threads of Hope by Leslie Gould. It's the third and final book in her Plain Patterns trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I found "The Murder of Mr. Wickham" by Claudia Gray on a library display and couldn't resist such a title! I've only made it as far as the "books by this author" list (where I realized the author's name was familiar because she wrote some Star Wars books I've heard about but not read) and the author's intro discussing her timeline process. That already made me super interested! I love Jane Austen, so this sounds like a fun time.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Threads of Hope, wonderful story and trilogy. Up next for me is Provenance by Carla Laureano.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "At Love's Command" by Karen Witemeyer. I love her books, so I'm looking forward to it!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm reading Written on the Wind by Elizabeth Camden. It is the second book in her Blackstone Legacy trilogy. The third and final book releases in January.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I just finished rereading A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter. I reread Freckles earlier this year, so I decided it was a good time for this one.

Now I'm reading The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale for the first time.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I am halfway through The Hidden Prince by Tessa Afshar. It is Biblical fiction. A lady that I met when there were Christian bookstores in my area got me on to Ms. Afshar. Very good so far.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I finished The Goose Girl and I liked it, so now I'm reading the sequel, Enna Burning. It's weirdly much darker than the first one, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Deception by Patricia Bradley, excellent book. It kept me turning the pages. Up next for me is A Picture of Hope by Liz Tolsma. It is the second book in the Heroines of WWII series.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just finished "How to Tankie: The Anti-Imperialist's Guide to the Modern World" by Darth Putin KGB. At 64 pages, it wasn't a long read, but it was very informative. I am pleased to report I scored very high on the chapter quizzes! \:D/ For the uninformed, Darth Putin is a spoof account on Twitter that makes fun of Russian lies etc. The book is written in a satirical style, but really does have a lot of real info in it, like about the agreements the USSR made with the Nazis before switching sides in 1941 after Germany reneged on their end of the deal. As someone who is closely following Russia's invasion of Ukraine, it was an interesting read.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm about halfway through The Mistletoe Secret by Richard Paul Evans. It's Christmas fiction. I collect books having to do with Christmas. Fiction, non fiction, etc. Richard Paul Evans is a favorite of mine. It's very good so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Faithful Then, Faithful Now: Stories of God's Faithfulness from Women Across Canada" by Brooke Nicholls. It has lots of short stories of people sharing how God helped them in their lives. A friend recommended it to me and it's very good so far. I'm reading a few at a time so they don't all just blur together.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm reading Seeds of Change by Lauraine Snelling. It is the first book in her Leah's Garden series/trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Making Room" by Brooke Nicholls. It's a devotional book so I'm planning to read small chunks at a time to get more out of it. It's really good so far.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished The Seeds of Change, wonderful!! Up next for me is The Number of Love by Roseanna M. White. It is the first book in  her The Codebreakers trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sounds interesting,Laurie!

I'm reading "A Lady of Esteem" by Kristi Ann Hunter. It's an enovella that kicked off her first series, and there's just something about it I really like! I enjoyed the series but keep coming back to re-read that starting book now and then.