What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Jonathan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:55 pm I didn't plan it this way, but I started last year by rereading The Chronicles of Narnia, and finished the year with Till We Have Faces. Been diving into some of his non fiction stuff too. I'm convinced the man was a genius.
You are correct.
Anybody who disagrees can fight me.
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:55 pm
Catspaw wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:13 pm The mention of C.S. Lewis reminded me that I'm reading "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." It really is such a good book! It's a classic for a reason.
Pirate Oriana wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:21 pm Just finished Till We Have Faces by the incomparable C.S. Lewis. First fiction book I've read in quite a while. It reminded me of how good Lewis's stuff is.
I didn't plan it this way, but I started last year by rereading The Chronicles of Narnia, and finished the year with Till We Have Faces. Been diving into some of his non fiction stuff too. I'm convinced the man was a genius.
I don't think you're alone in that assessment! To my discredit, I'm a lot more familiar with his fiction than non-fiction. I actually got a couple of nonfiction C.S. Lewis audiobooks free on Audible recently so I should listen to them sooner rather than later.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:54 pm
Jonathan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:55 pm
Catspaw wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:13 pm The mention of C.S. Lewis reminded me that I'm reading "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." It really is such a good book! It's a classic for a reason.
Pirate Oriana wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:21 pm Just finished Till We Have Faces by the incomparable C.S. Lewis. First fiction book I've read in quite a while. It reminded me of how good Lewis's stuff is.
I didn't plan it this way, but I started last year by rereading The Chronicles of Narnia, and finished the year with Till We Have Faces. Been diving into some of his non fiction stuff too. I'm convinced the man was a genius.
I don't think you're alone in that assessment! To my discredit, I'm a lot more familiar with his fiction than non-fiction. I actually got a couple of nonfiction C.S. Lewis audiobooks free on Audible recently so I should listen to them sooner rather than later.
I'll go ahead and recommend God In The Dock. Of his non fiction stuff I think that one may be my favorite.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The London Restoration, excellent book. Up next for me is Crosshairs by Patricia Bradley. It is the third book in her Natchez Trace Park Rangers series.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Juggling three or four right now. I checked Abandoned in Death by J.D. Robb and The Shepherd's Wife by Amy Hunt out from the library today. I'm also going to attempt to start the Wingfeather Saga this year.
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Crosshairs, very good. Kept me turning pages. Up next for me is If for Any Reason by Courtney Walsh.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Just read Night by Elie Weisel.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Sunrise, good book. I think I'm tired of Susan May Warren's books. I may take a break after this new series is complete. Up next for me is Star of Persia: Esther's Story by Jill Eileen Smith.
TheDinosaurPlanet
Processing
Post by TheDinosaurPlanet »

Fountain's, Johnson's, Milner's, and Bond's biographies on Isaac Watts.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOO!

Other places are okay
And some are fine
But as far as hometowns go
Well, Odyssey is mine
Oh, it's the place to be
I'm sure you will agree
Have you ever been to Odyssey?
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I just re-read "Starman Jones" by Robert Heinlein. It's one of his juvenile fiction stories, so it's more family-friendly than some of his works. It's also a fun space adventure.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Star of Persia, excellent book. I love the story of Esther!! Up next for me is If It Rains by Jennifer L. Wright. New author and a first time read for me.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Seculosity by David Zahl.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished If It Rains, very good. It kept me turning the pages. Up next for me is The Stone Wall by Beverly Lewis.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:19 pm Just read Night by Elie Weisel.
I've thought about reading that book. It isn't very long, but I assume it's quite serious reading, given the topic. Would you recommend it?
Laurie wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:47 pm I finished Sunrise, good book. I think I'm tired of Susan May Warren's books. I may take a break after this new series is complete.
Laurie, it's interesting you say that because the reason I haven't read her last few books is because I felt like I might be tired of them. I really like her books overall but the last while I just haven't felt like reading her new books. I thought it was just me. I think I will eventually read them - I just don't have that "Oh yay, I must read that soon" kind of feeling.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:45 pm
I've thought about reading that book. It isn't very long, but I assume it's quite serious reading, given the topic. Would you recommend it?
Yes, haunting though it is.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

"1632" by Eric Flint. Come to find out, this alternative history story is really just a ruse to get you to learn about the Thirty Years' War in Europe (1618-1648). It worked. One of my favorite arguments: Protestants versus Catholics, plus cannons! Oh, and the book was quite interesting. It adds a funny twist by being about a small West Virginia town that gets thrown back in time through some unknown reason into Thuringia, which is some region of modern-day Germany (which was merely a geographical description and not a unified group of any sort, kind of like saying "The Appalachians" which isn't a political entity at all, just a location). HilarityPandemonium and democracy ensue, thanks to one guy's stolen M-60 [machine gun from Vietnam War-era] and everybody's hunting rifles which make the 1600s muskets look like peashooters.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:42 pm
Catspaw wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:45 pm
Yes, haunting though it is.
I'll have to get around to it one day soon.

I read a stack of kids books today - does Bernstein Bears count as a book I am reading? ;)
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I finished Laddie by Gene Stratton-Porter the other day. I absolutely loved it. When a book starts out with a character making a pair of trousers for her pet bluejay, Hezekiah, you just know it's going to be good. :inlove:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Petrichor, that sounds really interesting! I haven't heard of that book.

I'm starting "To Write a Wrong" by Jen Turano, the second book in her Bleecker Street Inquiry Agency series. The first one was okay, but wasn't one of my favourites by her. Hopefully I'll like the second one better. Maybe it was just me.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:26 pm Petrichor, that sounds really interesting! I haven't heard of that book.
I definitely recommend it! The book is narrated by the younger sister observing all her older siblings' lives and romances, and it's such good fun. :D

I'm currently reading The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer, and it is absolutely delightful. I don't know how I've missed out on Georgette Heyer for so many years.