What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Isaiah's Daughter, very good except my copy of the book had missing print. Up next for me is Along Wooded Paths by Tricia Goyer, this is the second book in her Big Sky trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Bananareader
Gold Member
Post by Bananareader »

i just finished reading The 39 Clues #11: Vespers Rising, and I'm currently reading Disney Devotionals [Book Two]: 100 Daily Devotionals Based on the Disneyland Attractions, Resort Hotels, and More. I plan to finish reading The Kane Chronicles #2
The Throne of Fire.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Along Wooded Paths, very good. Reading this book has caused me to do something I almost never do. I went back to the library to return Along Wooded Paths and I checked out the final book in the trilogy, Beyond Hope's Valley. There are two reasons for my actions. The first being Along Wooded Paths made me extremely curious about what was going to happen next, I absolutely love when a book does that and it does not happen very often for me, I don't know why. Second, a new trilogy is being released the first tow books are out. In order for me to read the new trilogy I have to read the one I'm reading now.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Braced for Love" by Mary Connealy. Her books always bring the humour, and this one started with a bit more drama/action than I expected too. Good stuff so far!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:48 pm I'm reading "Braced for Love" by Mary Connealy. Her books always bring the humour, and this one started with a bit more drama/action than I expected too. Good stuff so far!
You and I have the same taste in books Catspaw, I'm reading the second book in that trilogy: A Man With a Past.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:40 am
Catspaw wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:48 pm I'm reading "Braced for Love" by Mary Connealy. Her books always bring the humour, and this one started with a bit more drama/action than I expected too. Good stuff so far!
You and I have the same taste in books Catspaw, I'm reading the second book in that trilogy: A Man With a Past.
Nice! Clearly we both have excellent taste. O:) That will be my next read. I usually wait for the whole trilogy to be out before I read Mary Connealy's books, since they're typically connected quite a bit.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Man With a Past yesterday. I'm currently reading When the Day Comes by Gabrielle Meyer.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "A Man with a Past." When I was reading the first book I assumed Falcon would get the third book in the series, but apparently I was wrong!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished When the Day Comes, excellent book. Up next for me is Words Between Us by Erin Bartels.
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

Catspaw wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:16 pm I love Han, so this is intriguing to me! I've never read any Star Wars books (other than listening to one Thrawn audiobook). I like Star Wars and reading so it seems like I should one of these days. Would you recommend it for someone who originally mostly wanted to watch more Star Wars because of Han saying, "I know?" :inlove:
Sorry it took me so long to reply.

I wouldn't really recommend that one. Despite Han being the main character, his personality doesn't shine through a lot in that series. There were some great Han moments in the Legacy of The Force series, but that series is hit or miss quality wise. My brother keeps telling me to read Scoundrels, a Star Wars heist novel, but he said the character ensemble is so large that Han's just a background character. I do want to read the other Han Solo trilogy someday though because apparently Han fights an evil otter queen.

Almost finished with Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. I like the author's writing style here, but the plot seems openly satanist to me. Benevolent aliens who happen to look like demons observing/helping humanity progress into a god collective. :no:
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Patterson wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:31 pm
Catspaw wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:16 pm I love Han, so this is intriguing to me! I've never read any Star Wars books (other than listening to one Thrawn audiobook). I like Star Wars and reading so it seems like I should one of these days. Would you recommend it for someone who originally mostly wanted to watch more Star Wars because of Han saying, "I know?" :inlove:
Sorry it took me so long to reply.

I wouldn't really recommend that one. Despite Han being the main character, his personality doesn't shine through a lot in that series. There were some great Han moments in the Legacy of The Force series, but that series is hit or miss quality wise. My brother keeps telling me to read Scoundrels, a Star Wars heist novel, but he said the character ensemble is so large that Han's just a background character. I do want to read the other Han Solo trilogy someday though because apparently Han fights an evil otter queen.

Almost finished with Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. I like the author's writing style here, but the plot seems openly satanist to me. Benevolent aliens who happen to look like demons observing/helping humanity progress into a god collective. :no:
Thanks Patterson. I appreciate it. I think one of the reasons I haven't made much of an effort to read Star Wars books is because I've heard variations of that kind of stuff from other people about hit-and-miss or the characterization seeming off. I am curious about the evil otter queen, so keep me updated on that. :lol:
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

Catspaw wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:53 pm Thanks Patterson. I appreciate it. I think one of the reasons I haven't made much of an effort to read Star Wars books is because I've heard variations of that kind of stuff from other people about hit-and-miss or the characterization seeming off. I am curious about the evil otter queen, so keep me updated on that. :lol:

Of course! That one's pretty far down on my to-read list, but I'll let you know when I get around to it (brain flashed to Whit's round "tuit". #-o ).
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PinkIsNotMyColor
Hexadecimal teenager
Post by PinkIsNotMyColor »

I’m currently reading Pride and Prejudice \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

PinkIsNotMyColor wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:07 am I’m currently reading Pride and Prejudice \:D/
Great choice! One of my all-time favourites. <3

I just finished "Never Doubt a Duke" by Regina Scott. I love her Regency romances!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished The Rose and the Thistle by Laura Frantz, excellent story. Up next is Remember Me by Tracie Peterson it is the first book in her Pictures of the Heart trilogy.
Bananareader
Gold Member
Post by Bananareader »

I am currently reading Ozma of Oz.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Orchard by Beverly Lewis, absolutely wonderful. Up next is The Lost Melody by Joanna Davidson Politano.
PinkIsNotMyColor
Hexadecimal teenager

I just started the Swiss Family Robinson
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm reading Code Name Edelweiss by Stephanie Landsem.
PinkIsNotMyColor
Hexadecimal teenager

I’m reading the Secret of the rose series by Michael Phillips. So so good!