Josh Harris : Super author

I kissed Dating good-bye, Boy meets girl, Not even a hint

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Josh Harris : Super author

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

As far as authors go, Josh Harris takes the cake in my book. (Woah, two cliches in one sentance!) I loved his views in the dating series and the book about courting. His latest book is all about sexual purity. It is so eye-opening, thought provoking, and sometimes convicting!

Anyone else have anything by Josh Harris? What do you think of his work? Like it/hate it?
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I haven't read any of his stuff, but from hearing about him from friends who have read his stuff, he makes a few good points, but overall is pretty much out in left field.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

The Top Crusader wrote: but overall is pretty much out in left field.
I don't get what you mean by that.

It's funny. He says, 'kiss dating goodbye', and yet, he's married.

My brother got his movies for his birthday. He was thrilled ( :-s ) Actually, we popped them in at midnight for a good laugh.

Only kidding. I respect many of his views because they're really HIS. And they're biblical as well. I know of many other christian organizations who often make exceptions over the laws of sexual purity (including Focus on the Family)!
He really doesn't hide from the truth, or down things down. He's straight, out-front and hits the issue hard on the nail. He has a very commendable character.

You remind me that I should perhaps pick up another one of his books. It's been a while, and perhaps I should pick up some extra wisdom on that issue.

BC
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I thought his views on dating were very interesting...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

-Bennett Charles wrote: Only kidding. I respect many of his views because they're really HIS. And they're biblical as well. I know of many other christian organizations who often make exceptions over the laws of sexual purity (including Focus on the Family)!
Care to provide examples or elaborate further?

I'm not really familiar with his writing, but I've heard some good things, though I'm somewhat wary myself.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

-Bennett Charles wrote: I don't get what you mean by that.

It's funny. He says, 'kiss dating goodbye', and yet, he's married.
He wrote "I kissed Dating goodbye" before he was married. Boy Meets Girl talks about his meeting and courting his current wife.

I also don't see what's so far in left field about saving more stuff for your future spouse than sex. (Kissing, etc.)

A review from the book site:

"The message behind I Kissed Dating Goodbye: A New Attitude Toward Romance and Relationships by Joshua Harris is a basic one – that the current manner of dating in our society is based on entertainment, social functions, and physical contact instead of the development of a friendship based relationship that can endure crisis situations that occur in marriage. As a consequence of these current dating patterns, individuals will find themselves going to entertainment “dates” (movies, dinner, etc.) on their own as a couple only (causing temptation for physical involvement) that is mistaken for true love, and as these individuals marry, they find themselves strangers without much in common at all.

The Heart of the Matter

In this section, Joshua Harris gives us the definition of “love” in God’s dictionary. Now probably at this point in time, I have turned a vast majority of you off. Why? Because many people just get turned off by people talking about God and the Bible as reference points in determining how one should live one’s life. However, I know of no other definition of love in this world in any book whatsoever that gives a more accurate definition than what is in 1 Corinthians 13. (as reference, here’s the link of the NIV version of the Bible from the Bible Gateway site at http://www.biblegateway.com Just type in 1 Corinthians 13 and you'll see the passage.)When we begin to realize what love truly is, I believe that revelation will give you a better understanding of what dating and relationships should be between men and women. Therefore, I implore you to keep an open mind about this as you continue to read this book."

http://www.epinions.com/content_39154519684

A short excerpt from a lengthy and glowing review.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I have his three books "I Kissed Dating Goodbye", "Boy Meets Girl", and "Not Even a Hint". I think they are all very excellent books. I've read the first two about 3 times each, and the last one once. I can only reccomend them!
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

There are also Bible study books that Josh and his wife wrote that go along with all three books. They have discussion questions and things and make reading the books even better

I had the most infuriating time in my sociology class today! We watched a movie about courting. They seemed to pick the most extreme version of courting ever for the movie. The young couple couldn't touch in any way or be alone. They would only see each other on the weekend and had one phone call during the week.

THe kids in my class were totally making fun of it, saying all this total BUNK about if you don't date you can't know about real people and how men are supposed to be, etc. It made me angry and I couldn't say enough to convince people...I was like the only person who was for courting. ARGH.

Edit - please try to avoid double posts in the future. Thanks!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

My sister has read most of his books, and I have heard his Dad speak at a Homechool Convention.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

His dad handed out the diplomas at my homeschool graduation! :D

My dad has read his first book, not really his second. Some things are good, others we don't fully agree with. (I haven't read them myself though, so I can't give specifics.)

Our family is for courtship, but there are a lot of different definitions of that word. If you're curious about our view, you can read my brother's post on the TH dating thread. :D
Nick Riley
insert dash here

Post by Nick Riley »

don't date yet
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Nick wrote:don't date yet
Do you mean that you don't care because you aren't dating yet? It's important to develop healthy attitudes, opinions and guidelines before you start dating (or whatever system you use), because it's going to be easier before you're emotionally involved. So this thread could still apply to you! :D
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Laura Ingalls wrote:If you're curious about our view, you can read my brother's post on the TH dating thread. :D
Which of course, you can read here.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Regardless of your views on dating, "Not even a hint" his latest book about sexual purity and fighting lust, is awesome! Lust is something I have a great deal of trouble with and the points he's made have really changed my thinking about lust and put me more on the offensive against it instead of always trying to defend my thought life after consuming certain things that harm me.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

LovedbyGod wrote:Regardless of your views on dating, "Not even a hint" his latest book about sexual purity and fighting lust, is awesome! Lust is something I have a great deal of trouble with and the points he's made have really changed my thinking about lust and put me more on the offensive against it instead of always trying to defend my thought life after consuming certain things that harm me.
That sounds good. :) People can be tempted to rationalize their behaviour because they've never actually done anything physically. God doesn't draw the line there. :anxious:
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Chandler wrote: People can be tempted to rationalize their behaviour because they've never actually done anything physically. God doesn't draw the line there. :anxious:
Very very true. Much of what I used to do actually. It's a dangerous mindset and one Satan LOVES us to have.
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

I very much respect him! I really appreciated his book I Kissed Dating Goodbye.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well, you must not like him too much, if it took you over a year to reply to the thread... :noway:
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

:anxious: Well I was looking for a diff thread in the ancient scolls of days past, and I just saw that one, among others which I brought back.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!