The Children of Hurin

J.R.R. Tolkien's unfinished book!

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

The Children of Hurin

Post by Dr. Watson »

Has anyone heard of this or read it? It sounds pretty interesting. Apparently J.R.R Tolkien started writing this as more "novelized" form for part of the Silmarillion but never finished it. His son Christopher finished it, and it was just published. The artwork looks pretty cool too; done by Alan Lee.

Link Here

Fixed the link for you, it works now.- MJ

edit:Never mind- I'm trying to fix it..

edit: Got it!
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

Wow, that looks awesome. I must get it from the library. :)
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

I have heard of this, and very much want to read it.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Hopefully it's better than the Simarillian. The only good thing about that book was that it was easier to get all the references to ancient Middle Earth history in LOTR. Also the end chapter about Sauron's rise to power and the creation of the ring is moderatly interesting.
I might read this new one. I've heard some of the writing isn't very good (very awkward and archaic) but the story is OK. You'd think the people in charge of marketing could've thought of a more interesting/less boring title, though.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

The Silmarillion was an excellent book! Through and through. :noway:

The title, hmm, it is kind of bland. What would you suggest though?
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Ferder wrote: You'd think the people in charge of marketing could've thought of a more interesting/less boring title, though.
It's quite possible that was the working title when Tolkien started writing it.
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

Yeah I think I'm gonna try and grab it to read.
Scientific progress goes BOINK!
Romans 8:28 - And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Mrs. Maxwell
Not as new

Post by Mrs. Maxwell »

I'm so excited about this book! I'm asking for it for my birthday in May. I'm such a big Tolkien geek, and just the idea of a "new" book from Tolkien gets me really excited.
I'm probably...still a coward... but I wanted to something right in my life... will you forgive me?
-Richard Maxwell
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I put it on hold from my library, but since there are like five people in front of me, I don't see myself reading it until the summer. :(
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Thursday Next wrote:
Ferder wrote: You'd think the people in charge of marketing could've thought of a more interesting/less boring title, though.
Yes, but remember the publishers were the one who called the last installment of LOTR "The Return of the King". I heard that Tolkien didn't actually like the title because he thought it was a spoiler.
You've got to feel a little sorry for Tolkien's son, though. He's going to be peering over those scratchy notes of his father until the day he dies.
Mrs. Maxwell
Not as new

Post by Mrs. Maxwell »

Ferder wrote:
Thursday Next wrote:
Yes, but remember the publishers were the one who called the last installment of LOTR "The Return of the King". I heard that Tolkien didn't actually like the title because he thought it was a spoiler.
You've got to feel a little sorry for Tolkien's son, though. He's going to be peering over those scratchy notes of his father until the day he dies.
Man, I don't feel sorry for him. If that's what he likes, more power to him! And I don't think the scratchy notes would be bad to pour over, Tolkien was a genius, who knows what you might find! I know millions of Tolkien fans who would die for that chance! (Well, not die, but you know what I mean...) I do see what you mean, that interest in Tolkien's writings wont ever die, and he definitely has a full time job doing that, but if he likes it, that's great for him. And he gets to be in the movie documentaries, and probably get an invite to any nice gathering of Tolkien fans, and just feel the love. I'd love to meet him. And if he ever wants to write a book himself, I bet he can get it published pretty much instantly. I can see what you're saying, but I have a hard time really pitying him, it sounds like a fun life to me... :D
I'm probably...still a coward... but I wanted to something right in my life... will you forgive me?
-Richard Maxwell
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Ferder wrote:
Thursday Next wrote:
But that's entirely different again because the publishers told Tolkien he had to break it into three separate books when Tolkien wanted to publish one big book. The reason was that paper was scarce after the war and a book that big would be way to expensive for the average person and the book wouldn't be the success it is today. But this is different part of the story had already been published.

From Unfinished Tales: Narn I Hin Hurin (The Tale of the Childern of Hurin) I just found my copy.