Who Do You Really Care About?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Who Do You Really Care About?

Post by Movieman »

I ask myself this question a lot, and sadly a lot of times I have to respond 'myself'. On the surface it's easy to act like you're selfless. But what does your motive look like? What are your ACTUAL thoughts? Why do you do those "acts of kindness" or "selfless" deeds?

Is it so you will feel good?

Is it so you will look good?

Is it so God will love you?

Those are all very stupid reasons for doing things. If the first one, then you are a lover of pleasure.

2 Tim 3:1-5
"1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be LOVERS OF THEIR OWN SELVES, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, LOVERS OF PLEASURES MORE THAN LOVERS OF GOD;

5 HAVING A FORM OF GODLINESS BUT DENYING THE POWER THEREOF: from such turn away."

If you do good so that you can look good, remember the hypocrite who prayed in the temple out loud and on the corners of the streets so that all could hear.

What if someone talked to you just so that they could look good? Such insincerity is to be despised, even as it dwells in our own hearts toward others and towards God. Gal 1:10 says that if we are seeking to please men rather than God we cannot be His bondservants.

If you, though you would not admit it aloud, somehow feel that you have to act like a good Christian to receive love from God, I want you to know that you are not alone. I struggled with that a lot in the recent past and it is so freeing when you just let God love you without putting a load of unnecessary standards on yourself.

Eph2:1-8
"1And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

4But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

7That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God"

If it wasn't by our works that we got saved in the first place, it's definitely not gonna be our works that keep us saved.

Rom 8:1-2
"1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."

Actually, just read Rom 8...it's sooo good.

Our motive for good deeds should be the worship of God. A missionary supporter talked with at lunch today said something that I don't want to forget. He basically said that when we are close to God's heart we understand that His heart is to make His name known among the nations.

Be pure in your motives. Be pure in your worship.

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com