Foxe's Book of Martyrs

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Arla
Popsicle kid

Foxe's Book of Martyrs

Post by Arla »

After the Telemachus episodes I really wanted to read Foxe's Book of Martyrs. I couldn't find the original book in my library, but I did find a updated version of the original called The New Foxe's Book of Martyrs. I found the book very moving and thought provoking. Has anyone else read the book?
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

How ironic. :doubt: My Dad's reading it and wants the rest of our family to follow suit.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

I've read it and found it quite interesting. It really puts things in perspective and makes you greatful for living in this time and not back then. On a side note, my pastor actually has a vintage 19th Century copy of Foxe's Book of Martyrs and it's in pretty good condition.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I almost did, but a lot of the stories in that book are also in the Jesus Freaks books put out by DCTalk and Voice of the Martyrs. THey took the stories, plus modern day ones and translated htem all into modern english. It's pretty awesome.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

JesusFreak777 wrote:I almost did, but a lot of the stories in that book are also in the Jesus Freaks books put out by DCTalk and Voice of the Martyrs. THey took the stories, plus modern day ones and translated htem all into modern english. It's pretty awesome.
Yeah thats why i chose to read those instead. They are really good!! Some of the stories made me want to cry though...