Classical Music Composers

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

Somewhat on point, this Washington Post feature is fascinating. The article is written by Gene Weingarten, a humorist / essayist who excels in understated, commentary-style humor. He's best known for having been the guy to hire Dave Barry, but the two are quite different: Barry mocks (and does a reasonably good job at it, incidentally), whereas Weingarten sets up amusing cultural experiments and reports. In this case, Weingarten talked the internationally acclaimed violinist Joshua Bell into a street performance to see how many people would stop to listen, and perhaps contribute a few dollars, to a man who can demand $100 for the cheap seats.

More directly on point, though of very little significance, I am dreadfully unfamiliar with classical music. I like it, but don't listen that often or recognize many of even the more prominent works. Lately, I've been taking advantage of the free version of Napster to listen to classical music while I read in the evening. This is far from ideal for music appreciation, but it's something, I suppose.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I've never particularly appreciated Rachmaninoff's works. I don't dislike them, but would never have identified them as favorites, either. Sherlock Holmes's post provided the impetus for me to challenge these notions, and last night, I had the unique experience of reading Josef Joffe's Überpower: The Imperial Temptation of America while listening to Rachmaninoff's Sonata No. 2 and Concerto No. 3 as performed by Vladimir Horowitz. The pieces were significantly better than I expected; perhaps I should follow this thread closely for future listening ideas.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I read most of the article, and it was really interesting! It makes me wonder if I would have just walked by too, especially since I utterly lack musical talent. I know whem I like something, but not necessarily if it's really good. Thanks for posting the link, Jared! \:D/
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Joseph Schumpeter wrote:....last night, I had the unique experience of reading Josef Joffe's Überpower: The Imperial Temptation of America while listening to Rachmaninoff's Sonata No. 2 and Concerto No. 3 as performed by Vladimir Horowitz. The pieces were significantly better than I expected; perhaps I should follow this thread closely for future listening ideas.
Well, at the very least, you appear to have successfully matched that particular classical selection with the tone of the reading (Rachmaninoff's music is nothing if not dramatic). One must acknowledge the little successes; this, I presume, is no excuse.

On a side note, allow me to also take the time to shamelessly plug Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor which, of the parts that are actually attributed to Mozart, is considered one of his greatest works. The Wikipedia article is not to be confused with the popular film Amadeus, wherein, if I recall correctly, Antonio Salieri is credited as co-writing the Requiem symphony whilst Mozart was on his deathbead having allegedly been poisoned by Salieri himself. Needless to say, that particular theory is one born out of significant theatrical liberty and not any sort of factual underpinnings.
dancer5678
Gold Member

Post by dancer5678 »

My favorites are Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, and Bach. I still love them all.
dodobirdeee
Gold Member

Post by dodobirdeee »

I play the piano, and so I'm constantly playing classical music. I think I like Fredrich Chopin and Claude Debussy the best.
birdeee
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I listen to classical music when I do my homework so I listen to it a lot during the school year, because my friend told me it's supposed to make you smarter.
I also wake up to classical music (on my brother's annoying violin) every morning...
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

How did I miss Jared's post when it was originally written!? I read that whole Washington Post Joshua Bell article in print, savoring every last detail. I never made it to that site, though, so I'm happy that I could enjoy the short classical clip more than two years later.
Follower of Christ
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Follower of Christ »

I enjoy listening to and playing Bach's and Beethoven music. Classical music is very soothing.
Jesus is ready for anyone who is ready for him.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Ah, I remember that article! Though I have never had the privilege to hear Joshua Bell in person, I have heard a few excellent performances in the New York Subway system including an excellent flautist, several violinists and some exceptionally unique break dancing. And, given the fact that the subways are so loud, I'd be hesitant to say that most of the people who stopped did so because they didn't recognize Bell's violin playing ... most probably couldn't hear!

As for the topic at hand, if anyone here has never heard Rachmaninov's Moment Musicaux N.4 you should remedy that immediately by visiting this link. ;)