Books that make you cry

to go along with the movies topic

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
actinglove299
Sing in the sunshine

Books that make you cry

Post by actinglove299 »

What books are tear-jerkers?
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

The end of The Westing Game (I couldn't get through that without a few tears the first few times I read it).

Close to the end of The End (ASUE). I always cry when Kit dies, and when the realization of who Beatrice is (if you'd already read the Beatrice Letters) hits. It made me cry.

My dad actually cried when he read us the part where Theoden dies in the Return of the King for the first time. It was weird, since he pretty much never cries. I cried later when Frodo left for the Undying Lands.

When I was younger and read the Left Behind kids books, I pretty much cried myself to sleep (I was reading in bed) when Ryan died.

Oh yeah, I cried when Rachelle died in the Circle Trilogy. It was kind of special, not just sad, and I'd forgotten and so I cried during the second time reading it.

I can't think of the others, but I'm sure I'll there have been others.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Most recently, The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan. There are people who are taking woman and controlling them through pain in these collar things. When they took one and killed her guard I cried. (She was screaming for her friend to help her but her friend was already taken.)

Also, the first of the seven sleepers book. When Josh
figures out that Curusoe is his dad, but then it's almost to late because his dad dies from his wounds.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

The very first time I ever read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe I bawled my eyes out when Aslan died. I also cried at the end of Awake and Dreaming.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

I also did cry when I first read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
also when I read Left Behind - The Kids.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Jonnyboy12
Tallying up

Post by Jonnyboy12 »

when i was little "the Flames Across the Susquehanna" always made me cry, that was a SAD book!!!
FrayedAroundTheEdges
i hold the hand that holds the world

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

Golly Gee Whilikers! everyone who wants to cry for something good you should read Avalon High!

RIGHT NOW!!!
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've cried over some rather random stuff. Didn't cry when Aslan died. Didn't cry when Ryan died (I could totally see it coming with the hints they kept dropping). But I cried when Charlie died in "Rose in Bloom." :anxious:
FrayedAroundTheEdges

Birdie Edwards wrote:I've cried over some rather random stuff. Didn't cry when Aslan died. Didn't cry when Ryan died (I could totally see it coming with the hints they kept dropping). But I cried when Charlie died in "Rose in Bloom." :anxious:
I bawled m eyes out when Aslan died (the movie too :p
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Tamika W wrote:
Birdie Edwards wrote:I've cried over some rather random stuff. Didn't cry when Aslan died. Didn't cry when Ryan died (I could totally see it coming with the hints they kept dropping). But I cried when Charlie died in "Rose in Bloom." :anxious:
Yes, my eyes welled up when I was watching the movie because it was actually being pictured in front of me... but this topic is about books. :p
FrayedAroundTheEdges

Birdie Edwards wrote:
Tamika W wrote:
Yes, my eyes welled up when I was watching the movie because it was actually being pictured in front of me... but this topic is about books. :p
I cried while i listened to Focus On the Family's version too *tear*tear*
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Tamika W wrote:
Birdie Edwards wrote:
Tamika W wrote:
I cried while i listened to Focus On the Family's version too *tear*tear*
I own it but sadly, I've never actually listened to it. :-$
FrayedAroundTheEdges

U HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

The book that really made me cry was Inkspell by Cornielia Funke.
*returns*
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't think that I cried when I read "Rose in Bloom," but it was so long ago that I don't remember. :( It was really sad, though. I always liked "Eight Cousins" better.

Some of L.M.Montgomery's "Anne of Green Gables" books make me cry. They didn't used to, but last summer I read through all eight of them, and all the Walter foreshadowing had me at least tearing up...and when Joy dies...and some "Rilla of Ingleside" stuff. I used to say that was one of my favourites, but last summer all the WWI stuff hit me harder than it did when I was younger, and it was so incredibly sad, way more than I had remembered. It's still good, but sad.
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

Arwen wrote:When I was younger and read the Left Behind kids books, I pretty much cried myself to sleep (I was reading in bed) when Ryan died.
Thats exactly what I did too! :anxious:
THat is like the only time I ever cried though, I think. :boohoo:
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Catspaw wrote:Some of L.M.Montgomery's "Anne of Green Gables" books make me cry. They didn't used to, but last summer I read through all eight of them, and all the Walter foreshadowing had me at least tearing up...and when Joy dies...and some "Rilla of Ingleside" stuff. I used to say that was one of my favourites, but last summer all the WWI stuff hit me harder than it did when I was younger, and it was so incredibly sad, way more than I had remembered. It's still good, but sad.
I never got as far... but Matthew dying makes me cry. I hate that part! (Although I remember it more from the movie :anxious: )
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Darcie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Some of L.M.Montgomery's "Anne of Green Gables" books make me cry. They didn't used to, but last summer I read through all eight of them, and all the Walter foreshadowing had me at least tearing up...and when Joy dies...and some "Rilla of Ingleside" stuff. I used to say that was one of my favourites, but last summer all the WWI stuff hit me harder than it did when I was younger, and it was so incredibly sad, way more than I had remembered. It's still good, but sad.
I never got as far... but Matthew dying makes me cry. I hate that part! (Although I remember it more from the movie :anxious: )
Yeah, that's really sad too. :( I don't think that it ever made me cry, though. If you somehow have some free time open up, you should read more! \:D/ You can even read them online, if you like staring at a screen for hours, which you seem to. \:D/
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Gee thanks. ;) No, I brought them all back home from my parents on my last visit. :D
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I meant that you spend lots of time on the ToO...it wasn't an insult. Probably. :-

;) I prefer reading books on paper instead of online, so I'm glad that you have them! In a few years you can even read some of them to your daughter! \:D/