Purgatory

true? not true?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.

True or Untrue?

True
4%
Untrue
96%

Total votes: 28

actinglove299
Sing in the sunshine

Purgatory

Post by actinglove299 »

How do you feel about purgatory? Is it a real place? What about the verses in I Corintians 3:11-15?
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I do not believe purgatory is a real place. There is nothing in the Bible supporting it, the verses you mentioned say that a man's work (what he has built) will be tested when Jesus comes back, but not that he will go to an alternate place for punishment...Each man is appointed to die once, and after that, face judgement--Hebrews 9:27. Doesn't say anything about punishment then judgement, then more punishment or testing...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
actinglove299
Sing in the sunshine

Post by actinglove299 »

Yes, I agree. It is a topic coming up in my Bible class and i was wondering what people thought on the topic.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I'll save the longer response but in short, I don't discount the possibility that Purgatory may exist, though I certainly can't prove the fact.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Sherlock Holmes wrote:I'll save the longer response but in short, I don't discount the possibility that Purgatory may exist, though I certainly can't prove the fact.
Yes, we may not know everything that's going to happen to us after death, but what's so suprising about that? Does God tell us everything?

I have come to accept by faith this verse for all matters like this, "God will neither abondon nor forsake you."
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Lord_Kappa wrote:
Sherlock Holmes wrote:I'll save the longer response but in short, I don't discount the possibility that Purgatory may exist, though I certainly can't prove the fact.
Yes, we may not know everything that's going to happen to us after death, but what's so suprising about that? Does God tell us everything?

I have come to accept by faith this verse for all matters like this, "God will neither abondon nor forsake you."
Apologies for my muddled response. The reason I say that I can't "prove" it is to illustrate the fact that, though I believe that there very well might be a Purgatory, don't ask me to attempt to prove it to you. ;)

Like Heaven, Hell and Judgment, Purgatory is a matter of faith - though it is one rooted in tradition, and not laid out in Scripture.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

"But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better;" (Philippians 1:23 NASB.)
A born again believer goes to be with Christ when they die. No purgatory! :D

Jeremy
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Sherlock Holmes wrote:Like Heaven, Hell and Judgment, Purgatory is a matter of faith - though it is one rooted in tradition, and not laid out in Scripture.
To throw my two cents in, that is why I can't believe it. But what Jeremy said is, and that's what I take comfort in for after death issues.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

It doesn't exist. I can say that positively. God clearly lays it out for us in the Bible. We die, then we go to heaven or hell. Purgatory is not mentioned at all in the Bible, nor is it implied.
Alisha Richardson Wolfe
Fourscore and seven

Post by Alisha Richardson Wolfe »

Arwen wrote:It doesn't exist. I can say that positively. God clearly lays it out for us in the Bible. We die, then we go to heaven or hell. Purgatory is not mentioned at all in the Bible, nor is it implied.
I totally agree.
I like Odyssey. DBD was my favorite saga and I am friends with Eric Delko and prplrane_13. Marisol Delko Caine is my sister. I like Ponybox and listen to Linkin Park and Newsboys.