Janette Oke

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Mel
Smile for the camera

Janette Oke

Post by Mel »

Has anyone on here read any of her books? I've read most of them. A couple of my favorites are 'Dana's Valley' and 'A Gown of Spanish Lace.'
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

I've read a lot of her books.
My favorites are the Seasons of the Heart series, Dana's Valley, Nana's Gift, The Red Geranium, and the Matchmakers.
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

I honestly don't think that I've read a bad Janette Oke book.

They're sweet and funny. Without overloading.. good author.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Aram Doyle wrote:I honestly don't think that I've read a bad Janette Oke book.

They're sweet and funny. Without overloading.. good author.
I agree. Her books are wonderful. She's been one of my favorites ever since I started reading Christian fiction. :D
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I've never read any Janette Oak books - funny, because my mom has a bunch of them - but I keep hearing people recommend Gown of Spanish Lace...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

"A Gown of Spanish Lace" was the first Janette Oke book I ever read, and really was my entry point into reading Christian fiction. I really love that book, but she has a lot of other good ones too, like the Love Comes Softly books, among others. They're so sweet! They're something that people can enjoy at a variety of ages. I can see how some people would see them as too sappy or whatever, but she does portray a level of reality that some authors just gloss over. People in her West work hard. Life isn't easy. Sure, she has happy endings usually, but it isn't as overly simplistic as some books seem to do, at least in my opinion.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

I used to read a lot of hers, but over the past few years, stopped... I always liked them... \:D/ Dana's Valley was the last one of hers I read and I think I cried through parts of it.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I liked the one about the skunks, and the one about the crazy ducks that got hit by cars or something!!! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I always knew you had a sweet and sensitive side. ;) I read that one soooo long ago! The skunk had a name, but I don't remember what it was. Wow. I had forgotten about those animal books!