Thr3e

the book...and the movie

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Applesauce wrote:If I can say something without trying to spoil anything: you're not going to get as much out of Saint unless you first read Showdown. Also, You're not going to get as much out of Showdown unless you first read the Circle Trilogy. So, I would suggest reading those books in order. :D
You know, when they first started making references to Showdown, I was tempted to put off reading Saint until I'd read Showdown. But I didn't ](*,) (hey, I think that's the first time I've used that smilie!)

...and now, Showdown is sitting on my shelf, anxiously waiting for the weekend when I can read it! :D
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I didn't realize that Showdown should be read before Saint - thanks, Applesauce! \:D/ I haven't read either yet (though I have read the Circle trilogy), though I plan to sometime.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

My friend finished Thr3e, and then we spent about half an hour talking about it. Now my roommate's hooked on it \:D/

I'm reading Showdown now, and I'm not sure what I think of it. It's definitely not my favorite Dekker book, but...yeah :-k
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I know this discussion probably belongs in the Ted Dekker thread, but...

Showdown was a big disappointment. :anxious:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Yeah, I know I'm in the minority when saying that I enjoyed Showdown. In all honesty, I didn't like it at all until about halfway through. But I guess you could say that I get excited easily when there are plot twists such as the ones in Showdown. I loved the connection, and so that was part of what helped me enjoy the second half of the book. And (without giving anything away), I also liked the angle that was put on the climax of the book, even though it wasn't entirely original.

But yeah, like I said, I'm usually in the minority on that one... :anxious:
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Applesauce wrote:Yeah, I know I'm in the minority when saying that I enjoyed Showdown. In all honesty, I didn't like it at all until about halfway through. But I guess you could say that I get excited easily when there are plot twists such as the ones in Showdown. I loved the connection, and so that was part of what helped me enjoy the second half of the book. And (without giving anything away), I also liked the angle that was put on the climax of the book, even though it wasn't entirely original.

But yeah, like I said, I'm usually in the minority on that one... :anxious:
I loved the connection too, which helped me like the book more...but it was hard not to compare it to Thr3e, which I love, and which my friends were reading at the same time.

Speaking of, I've now "converted" my roommate and another friend to Ted Dekker, and we're all eagerly anticipating the movie's release \:D/
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

I have a list of the Ted Dekker books I want to get for Christmas... :anxious:

Thr3e is so cool. I read it a little after my dad did adn I enjoyed every minute of it. I read it too fast though and finished it in one day. :(

Then a week or two ago I told my sister that she should read it so we could to to the threater together and see it. She's reading it right now. She fell in love with it. And now she does nothing but sit in her room and do 'school'. She hides the book behind her adv. biology. :-$

The really cool thing about Ted Dekker is that my mother and he grew up together. \:D/

Lucy
don't forget the rain.
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Lucy wrote: The really cool thing about Ted Dekker is that my mother and he grew up together. \:D/
Wait, back up! What?! :-s
Your mom knew Ted Dekker? :-s
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Bobbie
Gold Member

Post by Bobbie »

I am getting it from the Library and I can't wait! I have read like all his other books... :-)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Lucy wrote:The really cool thing about Ted Dekker is that my mother and he grew up together. \:D/

Lucy
I was going to respond and say I finished it in one day too, but...

She KNEW Ted Dekker???
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

How cool! That must have been interesting! Weren't his parents missionaries somewhere in South America or something when he was younger? :-k
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Ahem... Ok, so yeah, I'll back up.

Ted Dekker grew up in Papua New Guinea (His parents were missionaries in Irian Jaya and he and his sibling went to boarding school where my mom's parents were missionaries). My mother also grew up there. They went to the same school all through highschool. My mom hung out with his older brother sister, so it's only obvious that they new each other. She talks about that family sometimes, which is how I found out about his books. \:D/

Like I said, it's pretty cool. ;)

Lucy
don't forget the rain.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, that's so cool! Thanks for sharing the story with us, Lucy! I know that I've read some of that (minus the stuff about your mom, obviously ;)) somewhere, but I couldn't remember the details.