Best newpaper comic strip?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
jim
Processing

Best newpaper comic strip?

Post by jim »

What was your favorite comic strip that is no longer published and what is your current favorite comic strip.

My past favorites would Calvin & Hobbs, (old favorite before I was born is Pogo).

Current favorite is Zits.

••••••••••••••••••••••
Receive a webcomic by email! Also specials on characters products from the comic!
http://www.gumballgang.com
Free Comic emailed weekly!
Live DrawingCam! http://www.kidstimestudio.com/drawingcam
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love Calvin and Hobbes! \:D/ It's just too funny sometimes! Peanuts is also a really good "past" comic strip.

A current favourite...hmm, I'm terrible at choosing just one. :anxious: I like Foxtrot and Dilbert and Baby Blues and a newer favourite for me is Pearls Before Swine, which at first looked totally stupid but turned out to be really funny! \:D/
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Garfield and Dilbert.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I have to agree with Catspaw: Calvin and Hobbes for past and Foxtrot, Dilbert, and Baby Blues for current. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

We don't get the paper....my grandma brings us hers sometimes but I can't remember which ones I like... :-s

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Foxtrot is my favorite but I also like Zits and Spiderman!
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

I like Calvin and Hobbes, and Pickles. Funny stuff. :)

Sarah
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Fox Trot and Baby Blues! \:D/
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

My past favorite is Calvin and Hobbes hands down.

Current favorite is... hmmm... probably Mallard Fillmore.

I like Foxtrot too, but our paper decided to stop carrying it. :(
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Oh yeah and I forgot Mallard Filmore even though I don't read it regularly...
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Now that I'm at college, I only keep track (via the web) of my two favorite comic strips, Luann and For Better or for Worse. I like those mostly because they're more like a continuing story than any of the others in my newspaper...even though they can be soap operaish at times.

My dad's favorite is Dilbert, and try as I might I rarely find it funny. I guess it comes from my never having worked an office job...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I have to agree with Catspaw: Calvin and Hobbes for past and Foxtrot, Dilbert, and Baby Blues for current. \:D/
Yes! Become the latest ToO twin today, Laura! Darcie and LizzieG and I can help you find a nice Harrison Ford avatar! O:)

LizzieG, I've never worked at an office, but I still enjoy Dilbert. I guess it just depends on what you find funny.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Catspaw wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:I have to agree with Catspaw: Calvin and Hobbes for past and Foxtrot, Dilbert, and Baby Blues for current. \:D/
Yes! Become the latest ToO twin today, Laura! Darcie and LizzieG and I can help you find a nice Harrison Ford avatar! O:)

LizzieG, I've never worked at an office, but I still enjoy Dilbert. I guess it just depends on what you find funny.
My dad has books of dilbert comic strips lying around...some are funny, but you're right, what's funny depends on the person. I laugh at many comic strips, but my favorites are ones where there's a story attached instead of random humor.

Usually. Sometimes.

I've heard a few stories of Calvin and Hobbes from my roommate and others hear, and it makes me wish I'd read the strip while it was still going...alas, I never did #-o
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Foxtrot hands down.

Bill Amend has an uncanny nack for understanding EVERYTHING that goes on in a family home.

Calvin and Hobbes was wonderful, but limited. Calvin was only 6 years old and a single child. As Bill Cosby once said, "I don't really call them a parent because with only one child there are too many things left out." FoxTrot took the brilliance of Calvin and Hobbes and expanded it.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
jim
Processing

Post by jim »

LizzieG wrote:My dad's favorite is Dilbert, and try as I might I rarely find it funny. I guess it comes from my never having worked an office job...
I rarely find it funny as well.
STRYPER wrote:Foxtrot hands down.

snipped

FoxTrot took the brilliance of Calvin and Hobbes and expanded it.

You really think so?

Foxtrot might make me crack a smile once in awhile and that is rare. Calvin and Hobbs was simply funny as well as very creative. There was a line between reality and fantasy that was never explained.

also, Calvin's artwork evolved into works of actual art that is unequaled in comics today.

I think Calvin reached the heights seen only by Pogo and Peanuts.

EDIT: When responding to more than one person, you can include it all in a single post :) ~ STRYPER
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Older is Calvin and Hobbes. Newer is...I dunno. Don't really pay attention anymore! Zits comes to mind though.
jim
Processing

Post by jim »

Zits is well written and ver well drawn. He is certainly influenced by Calvin & Hobbs and Eisner's spirit.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

I also like Ryhmes with Orange! They're one panel and hilarious!
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Yeah, one panal comic strips have never been the same since Far Side.

Rhymes with Orange is pretty good but I'd sure like to see a one panal go far above the rest like Gary Larson did...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

No matter what else is out there, I'll always be partial to Peanuts. That's been my favorite since I was nine. \:D/

I've never been able to get my hands on a Calvin & Hobbes book...which is sad because everyone says it's so great. I'll have to try harder, I guess. :-

My current favorites are....uh...Garfield and Dilbert are up there, as is Fox Trot. I used to like Get Fuzzy, but after a while that one really gets redundant. Hmmm....I don't know. My newspaper is in dire need of some better comic strips. :pray:
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...