book the 13th - The End

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

book the 13th - The End

Post by jollyholiday »

Our family is anxiously awaiting the release of Book the 13th of A Series of Unfortunate Events, The End, releasing this October on Friday the 13th.

Any other SoUE fans on the board? It certainly is a dark series, but clever as well.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

A VERY clever series. So morbid too, I love it. \:D/ ... I wonder if there's something wrong with me. :-k
I put the book on hold at my library, I hope that I get it right when it comes out, I can't wait!

What do you think happens in The End?
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

And don't forget before The End comes The Beatrice Letters. Hopefully it won't give away too many of the secrets until The End.
The giant ? mark in the Grimm Grotto better be explained....
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

I think the Beaudelaire children will continue to have to make difficult decisions about who to align themselves with. I love how Daniel Handler has created this situation in which the children start from a very idealistic black and white right and wrong perspective and have gradually discovered that there are no perfect people. People they perceive are good do bad things and people they perceive as bad do good things. The big question for me is whether the children and their parents were really on the good side to begin with...
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Daniel Handler? Who's that?
I think I should go re-read the books, I am foggy on a lot of the details.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Lord_Kappa wrote:Daniel Handler? Who's that?
I think I should go re-read the books, I am foggy on a lot of the details.
I suspect that's Lemony Snicket's real name.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Daniel Handler is the actual name of the author of A Series of Unfortunate Events.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Where did you find this information jollyholiday? Thanks for letting me know that, I never knew what his name really was.

jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Lord_Kappa wrote:Where did you find this information jollyholiday? Thanks for letting me know that, I never knew what his name really was.
I'm not sure where I first heard it, but I've heard/read it many places.

If you want to hear an interview with him, just go to iTunes and do a search on Daniel Handler. There are a couple of podcast interviews with him on there that you can download for free. Both of them include discussions about his work on A Series of Unfortunate Events and some discussion about the adult fiction that he has written as well.

I wouldn't recommend any of his adult fiction to anyone here, it is definitley not kid or young person friendly stuff.

-jolly
Last edited by jollyholiday on Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Yeah I noticed that from the Wikipedia article. (I love Wikipedia! :inlove:)
It's sad that his other books are so terrible too, :sniff: he has such skills as an author.
I am a stickler for British authorship, so we'll just keep the fact that he's American on the down low. :-$

jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Do any of you also listen to the SoUE audio books narrated by Tim Curry? They all have songs (kind of a theme song) per book that are done by a music group called, The Gothic Archives. They are releasing a disc with all of the songs on October 10th.

The link is here:

http://lemonysnicket.com/VileVideos/gothicarchies.cfm

Additionally...Tim Curry does the audio for books 1,2 and 6-13. Daniel Handler does the audio for books 3,4 and 5 because Tim Curry wasn't available. If you are a fan of audio books at all, these (especially the Tim Curry book) are very very good.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I should read all these books sometime - I've heard good things, but never gotten around to reading any of them. :( And anything with Tim Curry sounds good! \:D/ *loves her StoryKeepers movies, with Tim Curry as everybody's favourite character, Nero!* \:D/
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Ooh! When do the Beatrice Letters come out? I love the series. I love how the pieces are starting to fit, and I can ALMOST figure it all out...but not quite.

As soon as I'd found out that the last book was coming out in October, I went to the calendar to see if the 13th was a Friday. As soon as I saw that, I was like: "Yep, that's when the book's coming out." I can't believe that was almost a year ago. Only a little more than a month left!

I was amazed at the last book (the only book in the series I own: I couldn't wait for the library to get it), and how much of a Christian theme could have been put in there. It was almost...deep. I think maybe during this next month I'll reread all of the books again (maybe I'll even take notes and make predictions).

*Is getting very excited*
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

I love aSoUE! I can't wait for the last one! I'm so confused...I don't figure things out well. :(
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Yeah, I tried taking notes, and my brother said I'm crazy. Let's just overlook the fact that he obsessed over Lord of the Rings for FOUR YEARS before he was allowed to see it.
Has anybody read Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography? It's got some random clues about the series.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

I'm still trying to decide whether I should read Beatrice Letters. I'm worried that it will contain spoilers for book the 13th. I know The Unauthorized Autobiography pretened that it was going to contain tons of spoilers but ended up not (it just had some obscure clues instead), so I'm wondering if this is a similar deal.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

I haven't been able to find the Beatrice Letters yet... :( I guess I'll just read it after the 13th book.
I haven't read the Unnoficial Biography yet either, I want to badly.

Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Lord_Kappa wrote: I haven't read the Unnoficial Biography yet either, I want to badly.
:shock: You've really got to. Besides the fact that it contains the first mentions of important stuff like the Sugar Bowl, it's a very funny read. Just to warn you though, it's not directly about the Baudelairs, but instead about the crazy mystery-filled world that they and Lemony Snicket are in. Also, nothing is very clear most a mix of obscure clues and (assumingly) meaningless ridiculousness.
Don't you have a library where you live? (even if it doesn't have the book, you could order from another library if your library has a inter-library-loan program)
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Yes I have a library, that's where I've gotten all the Unfortunate books. They don't have the Beatrice letters, :( and I just haven't had time to get the autobiography.
I'll put it on my list of books to read, which is longer than anything.

sweet pea
Tallying up

Post by sweet pea »

Golly Gee Whilikers!!! i love these books my friend got me hooked .
im on the 11th right noe Grimm Grotto im about to start it .
cant wait for letters to beatrice. i like to read the beginings .
to beatrice !

im wondering who he'll end the series, he has to break his rule about no happy endings .. or he could leave us hanging ... hmm :-s
*dont worry about the world ending today.. its already tommarrow in australia.*