Les Miserables

....the book

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Les Miserables

Post by Carolita »

Has anyone out there read it? Any thoughts? Now, don't like spoil the plot for me, but I would like to know what other people thought of it.

I just started reading it last week and am at the point where Jean Valjean comes into the story.

...and I finally learned how to pronounce the title of the book! \:D/ (thanks to Jared and Google :- )
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

Yeah, I got about halfway and stalled... I liked it though, I need to finish it. I won't spoil anything for you. :D
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I haven't read the book since I was 6, but I still remember the words to most of the songs from the musical!

"Lovely ladies, smell them in the air..."

"Valjean, at last, we meet each other plain. Monsieour, Le Mayor, you'll wear a different chai-ain."

"At the end of the day you're another day older..."

"Red, the color of their blood..."

Ah, yes. Good show. I don't remember much about the Revolution-related plot, only the interpersonal plots. Although that's how I've always been...
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I haven't read the book, but I got to go to a Broadway performance of it 7 years ago. It was pretty fun. Certainly not on a level with Gilbert and Sullivan, but pretty good.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I haven't read the book, though I have heard FOTF's RT version, which I enjoyed. Are you reading an unabridged copy, Carolita? Because I had a friend who read it in French and said that it was really, really long and had lots of long passages about armies and other random stuff that most people would be rather bored by, so I've kind of never wanted to read the entire thing. :anxious: But if it's really good, I should sometime!
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Didn't it take like 15 years for the author to write it?

I never read it, but I have seen at least 2 movie versions.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I read the unabridged version (yes I consider myself a brave soul for doing that) I have to say I liked it. I also have the entire symphonic soundtrack for the musical and a DVD with the concert at the Royal Albert Concert Hall.
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I read Les Miserables about 3 years ago. It was good. Very long...But good. It's one of my favorite books, in fact.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

I have read the unnabridged version, the longest book I've completed so far. It was very very good. I enjoyed it imensly and I think I'm going to read it again soon. (I miss it)

Catspaw, the French and the English versions are the same as long as the version you get is unnabridged, and yes, there are long passages about armies and stuff. An entire chapter is dedicated to the Battle of Waterloo (Because two minor characters met there) and other passages to things political. It's a book that covers a broad spectrum of readers.

The musical for this book is really good in my opinion. I love to listen to it, and reading the book builds greatly on the emotion of the songs, when you know more about the characters singing you connect on a whole new level.

I could talk about this book all day long!
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Lord_Kappa wrote:
Catspaw, the French and the English versions are the same as long as the version you get is unnabridged, and yes, there are long passages about armies and stuff. An entire chapter is dedicated to the Battle of Waterloo (Because two minor characters met there) and other passages to things political. It's a book that covers a broad spectrum of readers.
Thanks! I wasn't totally sure if the two versions would be the same, though I thought that they might be. I still don't know if I want to tackle the unabridged version, but I've read so many positive comments on this thread that I feel like I should!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I haven't read it, but my English teacher recommended it when we were reading Crime and Punishment. At the very least, I want to hear the FOTF radio theatre version.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm somewhat familiar with the musical (and we did some stuff from it in high school choir) but I'm not overtly familiar with the book! \:D/
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Catspaw wrote:I haven't read the book, though I have heard FOTF's RT version, which I enjoyed. Are you reading an unabridged copy, Carolita? Because I had a friend who read it in French and said that it was really, really long and had lots of long passages about armies and other random stuff that most people would be rather bored by, so I've kind of never wanted to read the entire thing. :anxious: But if it's really good, I should sometime!
Nope, it's abridged. This one, as a matter of fact: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 0662&itm=1

Thanks for y'all's replies. I'm looking forward to getting further in it...it sounds good...but long. ;)
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I started to read it, but I got bored. However, I don't read many classics, so I'm not a good judge.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Arwen wrote:I started to read it, but I got bored. However, I don't read many classics, so I'm not a good judge.
Les Miserable is one of the more tedious classics to read even I had difficulties staying with it and about half my book collection are classics.