The Decline of Adventures in Odyssey

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Gaius wrote:
Steve wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
Steve wrote:Umm... yeah. I had figured out all of the GRC by episode 6.
Wait, you knew beforehand that Jason would return with an Italian accent?
Well, as soon as I clicked the spoilers and figured out that Jason would be back (though I didn't read that he was the Stilleto), yes, I figured that he was the Stilleto.
There's a difference in knowing he's coming back and pinning it on the Stiletto then actually guessing he would come back and be the Stiletto ;)
And that's all slightly different than figuring out that Mr. Grote was assembling a team of financial terrorists to destroy America, and was working with Jason as the Stiletto, and that Dr. Trask was printing the money, and would sneak it out using train cars whose numbers were in the backpack. If you figured that out by Part 6, then I would be very impressed indeed.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:
Gaius wrote:
Steve wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
Well, as soon as I clicked the spoilers and figured out that Jason would be back (though I didn't read that he was the Stilleto), yes, I figured that he was the Stilleto.
There's a difference in knowing he's coming back and pinning it on the Stiletto then actually guessing he would come back and be the Stiletto ;)
And that's all slightly different than figuring out that Mr. Grote was assembling a team of financial terrorists to destroy America, and was working with Jason as the Stiletto, and that Dr. Trask was printing the money, and would sneak it out using train cars whose numbers were in the backpack. If you figured that out by Part 6, then I would be very impressed indeed.
He must be smarter than Eugene :o
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Gaius wrote:
Leonard Meltsner wrote:
Gaius wrote:
Steve wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
Well, mayber part 7. \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Steve wrote:
Gaius wrote:
Leonard Meltsner wrote:
Gaius wrote:
Steve wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
He must be as smart as Rodney :(

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Gaius wrote:
Steve wrote:
Gaius wrote:
Leonard Meltsner wrote:
Gaius wrote:
Steve wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
He must be as smart as Rodney :(
Or Marvin :(
Steve

Post by Steve »

Actually more like Jay.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Knight Fisher wrote:
AIO Psyche wrote:
And I swear, if I ever got the chance, I would sock Emily in the mouth.

I know that's harsh to say, but I would rather listen to fingernails on a chalk board than take her whiney, snotty, rude voice. She is so unbelievably annoying, I can't even believe that she got the job.

And the worst part? It's the writers fault. They created the character, they dictate what she says and does. And I can't stand her.
No don't sock her. Turn her into Juvenile detention. Last time I checked Blackmail is a crime. Hi there I'm the stuck up annoying self complimenting.... No I wont go on. And the whole Wooten, Penny thing. What happened to date a Christian. Last time I checked cults didn't count. And don't say she was just mislead. She completely believed it. And the only way to Heaven is Christ.
ARRGH I want to SCREAM! It has been explained in album 54 that Penny IS a Christian. She Prays with Connie, and reads the bible, and applies it to everyday life. (Especially in "Childish Things") And Emily is a great character! in my opinion she needed a lot of work in album 51. Album 52 some, album 53 a little and I liked her A LOT In the episode she was in in 54.
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

ARRGH I want to SCREAM! It has been explained in album 54 that Penny IS a Christian.
The critics aren't talking about album 54, they're talking about album 53, when she was introduced.

---

I've already talked about the Wooton/Penny relationship here, and I don't see any point in just rephrasing what I said the first time.
The May 2011 version of Bob wrote:I know the "checking to see if Penny is a Christian" thing is a major sticking point for some, but I got the impression that it happened off-screen... either Connie told him at some point, or he heard it from Penny herself in all the time they spent together.

Now, as it turns out, her brand of "Christianity" is definitely..."unconventional", to say the least. Still, I was under the impression that he believed in good faith that she was a solid Christian.
With that done, I would say that she was misled, since, by definition, being misled is when someone tells someone else something that is false and they believe it.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

With something as big as how far Wooton would have wanted to go, he would have asked way earlier on, just like he did with Victoria before they began hanging out, but here with Penny he didn't do anything. That's what I think got some people.

Steve

Post by Steve »

Gaius wrote:With something as big as how far Wooton would have wanted to go, he would have asked way earlier on, just like he did with Victoria before they began hanging out, but here with Penny he didn't do anything. That's what I think got some people.
Yeah, it seemed like Wooton was going against his own principles. Of course people change. Maybe it doesn't matter anymore, since Paul McCusker isn't technically a Christian?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

What's all this about Paul McCusker? I've heard bits and pieces of different things.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Steve wrote:
Gaius wrote:With something as big as how far Wooton would have wanted to go, he would have asked way earlier on, just like he did with Victoria before they began hanging out, but here with Penny he didn't do anything. That's what I think got some people.
Yeah, it seemed like Wooton was going against his own principles. Of course people change. Maybe it doesn't matter anymore, since Paul McCusker isn't technically a Christian?
Maybe that's an unfair statement to make, unless you recently have become God or he has granted you the ability to know who is truly saved without ever even meeting the person in question?

Rebekah, whatever you have heard is probably connected to this thread (click here). I continue to strongly state that none of us have the ability, authority, or need to judge somebody else's status as a Christian. If somebody commits a dreadful crime in God's name, or somebody's life clearly bears none of the fruit that the Bible talks about, then we may question the depth of that person's belief, but it is still not our place to play God and make solid claims regarding the salvation of others. I could say, "That person who just shoved an elderly person to the ground is not behaving in a godly manner," but I cannot, beyond a shadow of a doubt, say, "That person who just shoved an elderly person to the ground does not know God, will never know God, and is definitely doomed to spend eternity in heck."

The above is a general statement regarding my opinion about judging others, but that example very clearly does not apply to this situation. Paul McCusker saying that he is a Catholic is not the same as him saying that he doesn't believe in God or the Bible or the biblical values that AIO is based on. It does not mean that he is not a Christian, in the sense of being unsaved and apart from God. For us to say such things is outrageous and unfounded. The ToO is a place to talk about Adventures in Odyssey. It is not a place to claim that because you don't like an episode or an album or even a general direction, it must be the result of one writer who says he is Catholic.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Catspaw wrote:
Steve wrote:
Maybe that's an unfair statement to make, unless you recently have become God or he has granted you the ability to know who is truly saved without ever even meeting the person in question?

Rebekah, whatever you have heard is probably connected to this thread (click here). I continue to strongly state that none of us have the ability, authority, or need to judge somebody else's status as a Christian. If somebody commits a dreadful crime in God's name, or somebody's life clearly bears none of the fruit that the Bible talks about, then we may question the depth of that person's belief, but it is still not our place to play God and make solid claims regarding the salvation of others. I could say, "That person who just shoved an elderly person to the ground is not behaving in a godly manner," but I cannot, beyond a shadow of a doubt, say, "That person who just shoved an elderly person to the ground does not know God, will never know God, and is definitely doomed to spend eternity in heck."

The above is a general statement regarding my opinion about judging others, but that example very clearly does not apply to this situation. Paul McCusker saying that he is a Catholic is not the same as him saying that he doesn't believe in God or the Bible or the biblical values that AIO is based on. It does not mean that he is not a Christian, in the sense of being unsaved and apart from God. For us to say such things is outrageous and unfounded. The ToO is a place to talk about Adventures in Odyssey. It is not a place to claim that because you don't like an episode or an album or even a general direction, it must be the result of one writer who says he is Catholic.
Thanks you Catspaw, that's what I was going to say, only probably not as eloquently.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
Steve wrote:

Thanks you Catspaw, that's what I was going to say, only probably not as eloquently.
I agree, just because someone's Catholic doesn't mean they don't have to be Christians ;)

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I agree, just because someone's [Your denomination here.] doesn't mean they don't have to be Christians. ;)
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Okay, thanks for clearing that up Catspaw. And I totally agree guys, I know several Catholics who are saved, and I'm sure there are many more, ust because you're of a certain religion does not mean that you cannot be saved by the blood of Christ.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Steve wrote:And she's supposed to be this like wonderful, brilliant detective when she notices these little 'minute' details that are really quite obvious and anyone who knows anything about deduction could figure them out.
There are probably two terms to use to describe Emily.

Mary-Sue, because she's made out to be this amazingly wonderful, great role model of a character who often behaves poorly and rarely, if ever, gets called on it.

The Wesley, because the majority of us here cannot stand her and the writers really seem to be madly in love with her.
Rebekah wrote:ust because you're of a certain religion does not mean that you cannot be saved by the blood of Christ.
Well, actually it's not a "religion," it's a denomination. (This drives me crazy with my teachers, too; I think I remember my history teacher referring to either Protestantism or Lutheranism as a different religion. You would think a Pre-IB History teacher would know the difference between religion and denomination.)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

"Exactly.

And honestly, the recent episodes aren't too far from the Barney maturity level." - never have i seen such blind politicking of ones point which is abjectly false then saying the holocaust isnt real. frankly that statement is why i stopped frequenting this site. to see the masses of anti-new era v. new era fans throw such rhetoric around. i feel like im watching congress debating who is wrong and right.

does the new era of aio lack. yes. but go back and listen to the first aio's THEY SUCK HORRIBLY.

yet all i hear about is depth character development, this is like the occupy aio movement, news flash you cant just dump new characters out there then expect it to be like the old era. you people refuse to allow change, i read how you dont like the lessons how you want character growth. there has only been four albums how fast do you want them to grow? how fast did jimmy barclay grow? over how many albums.

i read the anti-new era as these people that (maybe i am, wrong here) want what was. guess what, what was is gone it wont return its over done.

i also read from a user that they wish they wouldnt make new odyssey's, wow really? you all the sudden dislike it.. im going to go on a limb and say you are close minded about a lot of change, frankly reading all these superlatives and rhetoric makes me wonder if you guys even care about the kids behind you discovering their version of odyssey.

i in fact grew up on them and kept a open mind when the re-lunch happened, maybe i as a adult who went through major issues and had my share of ungodly years see's the viod these can fill in people other then myself. so thats why i can see the flaws but dont think they are these major end it now things.

i know what business is, i lived it. i own my own now. so i know things cant stay the same they had to change and they did. i just think all of this rah rah we hate emily we hate what they did to the show i love.. boo hoo. change happens, what was never will be.

frankly maybe i am the one guy that wont care if in another 20 years they do another re-launch and change what is was.

but times change things change, a lot of what i hear here, hasnt and may never change because you are holding to tightly what you want, why does your preference have to be so important.

im not saying i care enough to ever check this thread again. i may never sign back in until i have a slow day at work in six months. what i am saying step back from your small world. and look at the bigger picture.

look what odyssey did for us. now turn around and let odyssey give a new era to a new generation, let them have their own jimmy barclay sam jonhson rodney rathbone as the youngest in my family i hated that i had to have what my brothers had.

i frankly believe it new era can cause the change fotf wants. but its hard when a group of people are so against what they are trying to do that they believe God is taking the show. now maybe you all know more about Gods will for the show then them but i side with fotf until i believe other wise. my opinion nothing more nothing less.

this was long and boring maybe made no sense but i hope maybe thr prism of your mind caught a little.
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I get that. I honestly get everything you're saying, Cbriggs.

I'm not "anti-new-AIO" at all. Some of them are really, really good, even though I prefer the older ones out of pure nostalgia. I loved The Green Ring Conspiracy. I loved eps like "The Amazing Loser" and "Target Of The Week".

However, there are some criticisms to make. Namely, against Emily. Personally, I do not care for her simply because the way she is hyped does not match up to her actual personality (and her voice really grates on my nerves; though people also felt this way about a favorite of mine, at least the actor was the appropriate age for the character). She is promoted as a great role model character...and a lot of times, she's not. She's not someone like Mandy, Lucy, Robyn, or Priscilla. She's often making mistakes that she never gets called on. And that bothers me, and I'm not the only one.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

TigerintheShadows wrote:She's often making mistakes that she never gets called on. And that bothers me, and I'm not the only one.
That's my biggest problem with her. They never flat out say to her that was wrong.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.