All Hail Our New President!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

rickyderocher wrote:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:Okay... 50 states, 7 provinces of Canada he visited... that was HOW long ago? So what? They call Denmark a state. Oh, look, IT'S A COUNTRY TOO.
He said "57 STATES" not "50 states and 7 provinces.".
Are you a sinner? Do you make mistakes? You do realize that when candidate, politicians and such are making speeches, THEY AREN'T READING THEM USUALLY. So.. he made an honest mistake. And having more states than 50 would be awesome at one point.. hmm....
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

My goodness, no Republican can criticize Obama for a handful of verbal slipups after the linguistic skills of George W. Bush. :roll:

And... Obama isn't particularly for gay rights, didn't he and McCain basically say the same thing in the debate? Or Biden and Palin? Whoever.
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

The Top Crusader wrote:My goodness, no Republican can criticize Obama for a handful of verbal slipups after the linguistic skills of George W. Bush. :roll:

And... Obama isn't particularly for gay rights, didn't he and McCain basically say the same thing in the debate? Or Biden and Palin? Whoever.
Biden and Palin.

I want to stretch the fact that it is not up to national government state governmentr determiens gay marriage ect ect...

Obama just believes in equal rights for them all.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Like any good libertarian. :yes:
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

The Top Crusader wrote:Like any good libertarian. :yes:
Um ok.... :-s
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I've just always thought the conservatives should be pro-gay rights and the liberals would want some kind of regulation over it. That isn't the case of course. It's just always annoyed me that conservatives demand smaller government and less government intervention in our lives, yet they want to stop people from getting married.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

JED wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:My goodness, no Republican can criticize Obama for a handful of verbal slipups after the linguistic skills of George W. Bush. :roll:

Biden and Palin.

I want to stretch the fact that it is not up to national government state governmentr determiens gay marriage ect ect...

Obama just believes in equal rights for them all.
:-s Umm... Yes, it is. God set down laws in the Bible for the government He appointed to follow- thou shalt not murder was one of them. That's where we get the law of 'no murdering' in our country. Being gay was also punishable in the Bible. Understand that my definition of gay is someone who has been in a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex and has not repented of it or is actively in a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex. If God says the government should punish people for being gay, then who are we to say that it shouldn't? And if that's the case, why do we punish people for murder? And why do we punish adults for sex with minors even when it was consented? You can't just pick and choose which Biblical laws to uphold. ;)
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

lol The irony of the thing.

I harbor some respect for libertarians got a hand it to them. Atleast their policies match their actions. :yes:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Well, in the Constitution, the National Government can't really do anything abotu what the state can choose.. which actually would deal with both Abortion AND Gay marriage.. and the assistant death thing... these issues have been faught over and gone around in circles for some time now... Why do you think the National government hasn't acted on them? Because they actually can't...
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Second, as Barack Obama said in his speech last night, he's our president too and he deserves our respect.
I beg to differ! He is only elected. He does not take the office until January.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

KODY 105 wrote:
King Butter Turtle wrote:Second, as Barack Obama said in his speech last night, he's our president too and he deserves our respect.
He said that still. No matter what you think or want, Obama will enter office in January, AND THEN HE WILL BE YOUR PRESIDENT. Were you not taught to respect your elders, let alone government, higher powers, no matter how much you disagreed with them?
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

KODY 105 wrote:
(I think I just said this :-k) He is still our president. he might not have the power to do anything until January but he is still our president.
and I agree with KBT. He does deserve our respect. I will respect him but that does not mean I will agree with his beliefs.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

KODY 105 wrote:
Fine *sigh*

As Barack Obama said in his speech last night, he will be our president too and he deserves our respect.

So, what coverage did you guys watch. (I know none of us can stand another political thread, so it fits here) I watched ABC. My favorite part was when Charlie Gibson said, "(the fat lady) is warming up." :hilarious:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Iron and Light wrote: :-s Umm... Yes, it is. God set down laws in the Bible for the government He appointed to follow- thou shalt not murder was one of them. That's where we get the law of 'no murdering' in our country. Being gay was also punishable in the Bible. Understand that my definition of gay is someone who has been in a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex and has not repented of it or is actively in a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex. If God says the government should punish people for being gay, then who are we to say that it shouldn't? And if that's the case, why do we punish people for murder? And why do we punish adults for sex with minors even when it was consented? You can't just pick and choose which Biblical laws to uphold. ;)
Umm... No, it's not. Yes, God laid down guiding principles in the Bible, but we no longer live in a theocracy. This is a secular government which says that we should not murder because it's against accepted moral standards common to most religions. Most religions probably don't care about gay marriage.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

King Butter Turtle wrote:
KODY 105 wrote:
Fine *sigh*

As Barack Obama said in his speech last night, he will be our president too and he deserves our respect.

So, what coverage did you guys watch. (I know none of us can stand another political thread, so it fits here) I watched ABC. My favorite part was when Charlie Gibson said, "(the fat lady) is warming up." :hilarious:
I sat here on my computer watching CNN count up, was talking with my boyfriend and my sister when my sister told me Obama won. Then I looked at CNN, and she was correct.
Then I watched OPB when Obama made his speech. That was about it... I didn't care for the rest of the stuff except Smith and Merkley Senators fighting it out in Oregon... still not idea who won. It was a complete full out battle.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

SivartM wrote:
Iron and Light wrote: :-s Umm... Yes, it is. God set down laws in the Bible for the government He appointed to follow- thou shalt not murder was one of them. That's where we get the law of 'no murdering' in our country. Being gay was also punishable in the Bible. Understand that my definition of gay is someone who has been in a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex and has not repented of it or is actively in a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex. If God says the government should punish people for being gay, then who are we to say that it shouldn't? And if that's the case, why do we punish people for murder? And why do we punish adults for sex with minors even when it was consented? You can't just pick and choose which Biblical laws to uphold. ;)
Umm... No, it's not. Yes, God laid down guiding principles in the Bible, but we no longer live in a theocracy. This is a secular government which says that we should not murder because it's against accepted moral standards common to most religions. Most religions probably don't care about gay marriage.
Most religions kill homosexuals just for being gay, let alone for marrying their homosexual partners ;).
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:
KODY 105 wrote:
He said that still. No matter what you think or want, Obama will enter office in January, AND THEN HE WILL BE YOUR PRESIDENT. Were you not taught to respect your elders, let alone government, higher powers, no matter how much you disagreed with them?
Obama is not the president yet. George W. Bush is still the president of the United States. He will be the president until January 11th (I think...).
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Or January 20th.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:Were you not taught to respect your elders, let alone government, higher powers, no matter how much you disagreed with them?
Aren't you the one who was asking about impeachments the day after CIA won?

Also, Prop 8 passed.

And lastly, I want to comment on the whole 57 state thing.

I've seen the video, the man was tired. He had just said he wouldn't be visiting three states, than said that 57. I'm positive he intended to say 47, he just slipped up--partly from being tired, partly from being in the high-stress situation he was in.

In my humble opinion, not a big deal.
Tehswift
Pilgrim

Post by Tehswift »

I'm just going to make my statement for what the 1st post in the topic was. It has really been annoying as to how a lot of Christians are reacting to Barrak being elected. Bible has a guide line for how people are to respond to their leaders. Yes I know the Bible goes against what a lot of Obama will do but that is no excuse not to follow what Romans 13:1-7 has to say
1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you.
4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.
5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.
6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing.
7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
God appointed our new leader, if you have a problem with that, go to God about it.

Also, if this was mentioned before, I'm sorry for being redundant. I am tired and I need to go up to bed. I just wanted to have this said before I forget.

Edit - please quote large sections of text that are copied from another source. - Catspaw