Life, life

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I was on a missions trip this week at Miami, and oh my word, it was so eye-opening.

If nothing else, it really pointed me towards my spiritual condition. I remember Jordan once saying in the Messy Mondays episode "Making Time for God" that if you want to know how you are spiritually, you should take a good hard look at how you treat others based off of what you've read during your "quiet time", and that's been something I've really been taking into consideration. I had to work with kids in a VBS all this week, and that's really out of my comfort zone because while I love children, I don't love working with them, if that makes sense, so it was really difficult for me. I think God used that to point to two things--Tiger should not be working with small, strange children, and Tiger needs to put her comforts behind her and focus on what God can do through her if she allows herself to look beyond her creature comforts. ;) It was really fun to be with my friends, though--even though I did want to strangle them sometimes. :lol:

We did a water day with the kids on Thursday, but a thunderstorm was going on, and they were disappointed that they might not get to do it. So one little girl prayed that the storm would stop and they'd get to do water day, and as it turns out, the thunderstorm left the area in enough time for us to do it. It was really cool to see them react to the answered prayer. :D I thought at first that it might make them treat God like a vending machine or something, but a friend of mine thought--and I got to agreeing with her--that it would make them see just how powerful prayer can be.

We got to minister to several churches and to a homeless shelter, and there's a pretty cool story behind the latter. When my youth pastor and director got there to sort of scout out the place, they noted that they were told that we could sing whatever we wanted, but we could not speak the gospel itself due to the diversity of the people there, even though from what I understand, it's a Christian facility. Turns out that as they spoke to one of the head staff members there and explained what they were doing, they were given permission to speak whatever they wanted to.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I am unofficially done with high school FOREVER \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

MITCHnTRENT wrote:I am unofficially done with high school FOREVER \:D/
Unfair! I still have two more year. :(
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

TigerintheShadows wrote:
MITCHnTRENT wrote:I am unofficially done with high school FOREVER \:D/
Unfair! I still have two more year. :(
Skip first grade and do two years in one like me. I've had enough of doing school on Saturdays and Sundays to last me for a lifetime. And I'm not talking about homework ;)
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

SO my first summer soccer camp started today... oh, what fun! 4-6 years in the morning; then I have my 'World Cup' team of France in the afternoon... 7-9 years. Such a good day. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

T.S. (myself) wrote:
Carrie Ingalls wrote:
T.S. (myself) wrote: After working at a county park/beach this summer, I will hopefully have some good stories to tell.
Are you lifeguarding there?
Yes, I am, though in a rather loose sense. Mostly I am bored while waiting for customers. The rest of the time I am either reading, eating, or being bored watching the customers.
:shock: You get to read while on duty!? The only thing we were officially permitted to read (even if the beach was empty) was the lifegaurding manual, lifeguard management manual, or the inservice binder. If it was raining we had to find work to do around the park or we would get sent home and not get paid for the remainder of the day. Basically, if we were not on the beach we were "park workers" and should be picking up trash or cleaning the bathrooms...both of which were never ending tasks.
Also, don't take the job too casually, slow days and routine can lull you into a false sense of security. I know it can be hard to stay focused (a quaker chewy granola bar will only stave off hunger for an hour... :- ), and most of the job should be preventative but serious stuff can happen when you least expect it. Your safety is first, then ensure the safety of the patrons.

Sorry, to blather on. I lifeguarded for three summers straight at public pools/waterfronts, and people do drowned. Work hard and stick to your guns calmly and firmly even when patrons are getting in your face and challenging your authority, remember that you are acting in their best interest and in the best interest of everyone at the facility. (Also, supervisors should be there to back you up with disruptive patrons).
:soapbox:
Anna><> wrote:I'm lifeguarding too and I wish I was able to be bored while working. Unfortunately at the waterpark where I work schools come in. That means that there are like 250-300 crazy kids running all over the facility and it's pretty stressful to watch them all.
I hear ya! Crowds of kids are some of the most terrifying things to scan as a lifeguard, especially when the "chaperones" think they have free time if there are lifeguards on duty. One facility I worked at (it was a waterfront) the supervisor scheduled multiple "camp/school groups" on the same day and during the time that we were technically not on duty because we were teaching swimming lessons!! That was really stressful and then the people in charge of the different groups were getting mad at us lifeguards because they didn't feel like they were getting the experience they were expecting...and of course the supervisor responsibly just happened to be off that day...

:soapbox:
*steps down*
Hmm...maybe we should start a lifegaurding thread... :-
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

I've always wanted to be a lifeguard but its another job that my eyes have kept me from.

Normal day with sad work hours. I mean 5.5 hours is nice but after getting 8.5 it feels small.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I got a letter from the college program I wanted to get into saying that I was accepted!! :D I almost cried when I read the word, 'Congratulations!' My mom cried and my dad was extremely happy but not jumping off the walls. ;) I am so thankful to God for this! =]
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Aftershocker wrote:I got a letter from the college program I wanted to get into saying that I was accepted!! :D I almost cried when I read the word, 'Congratulations!' My mom cried and my dad was extremely happy but not jumping off the walls. ;) I am so thankful to God for this! =]
Wahoo!! \:D/ :D \:D/ Congratulations Aftershocker!! Good news like that is always wonderful especially when you get to share it with those who love you (the looks on their faces are sometimes the best part)! :D Praise God for his blessings!

~~~~~~~~~~
I've spent a good bit of the day over in the Memory Garden...and the rain outside my window seemed appropriate. God is faithful and SNC is still blessing people and still pointing others to Christ.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:New haircut today \:D/ I had the stylist cut off about eight inches. So now I have side bangs, loooooots of layers ( :inlove: ), and a length that falls just above my shoulders. Definitely a new look for me :p
I must have a picture. I must.
Angel wrote:Since the last time I posted here:
I got a boyfriend, and he is incredible! \:D/
I got a car, thanks to my parents. It is a Toyota Carolla, very dependable. Happiness!
I got a job. I am now a Starbucks clerk at Safeway. Fun times! (still in training, but getting the hang of things)

That's what's up. *smiles* Oh! And since I drive quite a bit, I have pretty much all the AIO CDs I own in my car, and I listen to them all the time! Huzzah! \:D/
:hello: Hi Angel. boyfriend? *shady eyes* What's he like? Toyota Corolla? lol. Job is a job is a job. But Starbucks? WHY? I approve of the AIO CDs! But in a Corolla? Seriously?
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I'm surprised I missed it before... it's Corolla, not Carolla.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Aftershocker wrote:I got a letter from the college program I wanted to get into saying that I was accepted!! :D I almost cried when I read the word, 'Congratulations!' My mom cried and my dad was extremely happy but not jumping off the walls. ;) I am so thankful to God for this! =]
Congrats! College is amazing when done in God's will. Though I will admit that it won't be easy. If it was easy you didn't learn enough. :p

Normal day. I plan on making rice and salmon for dinner after church.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I just had an interview today. It went really well, I felt I was relaxed and comfortable throughout. It's with a local supermarket by my house. I'm hoping to get the job since I have been looking for several weeks now. :pray:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Everybody's going to college and finding jobs and getting boyfriends. I like this era. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I may be in college, but I don't have a job or a boyfriend. :(
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

DanP740 wrote:I may be in college, but I don't have a job or a boyfriend. :(
me either :(

don't worry, Dan. the right man is out there ;)

Till the end of the line.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Well, I am technically done with high school (whaaat. O_o) but I still have to complete my correspondence Spanish course so that I can, you know, actually get into university for the fall. :anxious: Still, it's a relief to be through my final exams.

In other news, it seems that Facebook has grown dead silent in my absence from it. :( While I was busy studying for final exams, I guess everyone else found new, real-worldly things to do. I suppose I too shall have to find a productive way to occupy my time. Ugh.
Last edited by Amethystic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Dr. Watson and I are watching the extremely exciting game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals tonight! \:D/ I'm cheering for Chicago, and he's cheering for Boston. Bwahaha, my team is winning so far! :dance:
We set up our little bunny ear TV in the kitchen so I could do something productive and roll out pie crusts and cut marshmallows while we watch. :D

Edit:
NOOOOOOOO, Boston just tied it!!!! :x
Last edited by Laura Ingalls on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Dr. Watson and I are watching the extremely exciting game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals tonight! \:D/ I'm cheering for Chicago, and he's cheering for Boston. Bwahaha, my team is winning so far! :dance:
We set up our little bunny ear TV in the kitchen so I could do something productive and roll out pie crusts and cut marshmallows while we watch. :D

Edit:
NOOOOOOOO, Boston just tied it!!!! :x
Sorry Laura, I'm with Dr. Watson on this one. Go Bruins!! :x \:D/

I ran some errands when I got out of "work" (I pay to be there) today.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

My life has been school, work, YouTube/movies lol. I sleep in from staying up late watching YouTube or a movie. Then I do schoolwork, then get ready for work. I go to work come home and eat supper. Occasionally after supper I do schoolwork but then I end the night watching a movie or YouTube.

Tomorrow I do get a change of pace as I am going on a college visit to Purdue University.