What did you LEARN today?

post a random fact you learned...

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

That it takes one teenaged girl, (me) holding on to the hands of a small kindergarten aged child jumping on a balloon to pop it. With my foot on it as well. ^_^
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I learned that our pastors are always doing something different. O:)
...I hate marquees.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Unholy Trinity wrote:
Tinuviel wrote:
Rats can't throw-up.
On that note, Take a pie pan, fill it with coke & leave it on the floor. If a mouse or rat drinks it, they will eventually explode because they cannot burp.

That is just mean...... :-s
But funny, in a twisted kind of way.

-Jonathan
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I learned that I have the most boring job on the face of the Earth

But I get paid $9/ hr to be bored all day, so it's all good.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

First, I assume you're not babysitting those two kids anymore. Second, what is that job you have now that's boring?

-Jonathan
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

First: I am not babysitting those two kids anymore (and very glad in recent developments with getting my final pay outta the parents........but that's a long story and I'm getting ready for work right now)

Second: I got an in-home health care job where a company sends me to elderly people's houses to assist them..........though 90% of the time all the people a person is assigned to wants is someone to sit there and talk with them, maybe make the bed and fix meals.

Currently: I have once client Monday to Sunday (I worked yesterday cuz it's the other lady's birthday.....so 8 days instead of 7) from 9 AM to 7:30 PM. In that time, I get the client out of bed and dressed. Walk with him to the kitchen table (he walks VERY slow). After breakfast (which his wife makes), I walk him to the bathroom, morning hygiene, etc and back to his chair. Then I sit down...........I walk with him to the table for lunch and supper and as needed to the bathroom..........on occasion (when needed) I dust or vacume the house.
^That job is one week on ; one week off^

In my "off" weeks I have another client (same company) who I go to Moneay to Thursday from 11:30 AM to 3:30 PM.........I put his shoes and socks on as he is dressed by the time I arrive, make lunch and other than that sit down and watch TV until 3:30. If it's needed, I do some light housework. On rare occasion he wants to go out someplace.

I also care for the mother of one of the pastors at the FWB Church I go to. (that's not company.....this is a private arrangement). Now she is a bit more work than the people I help with in my company, but still not hard work..........getting her up for meals, and taking her back to her room (she specifically tells you when she's ready to go back to her room). She is deaf and doesn't know sign language, so communication gets hard at times.

And finally I have been hired as a babysitter at the FWB Church (evidently they do pay the babysitters when it's not a church service). I do that as needed provided I'm not at my other job at the time they need a babysiitter. That's fund. the kids are all cute.

All in all.........keeping my work schedule straight in my head is more interesting than the work itself, but as I said, I get paid $9 / hr (with the company) to be bored out of my mind..........so it's all good. I get room & board from the pastor for helping with his mom.........we haven't yet discuseed payment, though I'm not pushing for payment, room & board is plenty as far as I'm concerned since I do work another job where I make plenty of money.....when I'm "home", it's not going to kill me to help out with his mom or do some housework. I also don't know for sure how much I'll end up getting paid for babysitting..........I'm still a bit uncomfortable with the entire arrangement of being paid for it......but if that's how they do things.......I don't want to offend them by protesting the way they do things in the church either.

Peace Out

-Gimp

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Tinuviel wrote:Ok, let's see here...

Fleas are essential to the health of armadillos and hedgehogs; they provide necessary stimulation of the skin. Deloused armadillos and hedgehogs will die.

The world's termites outweigh the world's humans 10 to 1.

When the Black Death swept across England one theory was that cats caused the plague. Thousands were slaughtered. Ironically, those that kept their cats were less affected, because they kept their houses clear of the real culprits, rats.

Iraqi terrorist, Khay Rahnajet, didn't pay enough postage on a letter bomb. It came back with "return to sender" stamped on it. Forgetting it was the bomb, he opened it and was- well, you get the picture!

Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

10 percent of the Russian government's income comes from the sale of vodka.

The chances of your dying on the trip to buy your lottery ticket is greater than your chance of winning.

Rats can't throw-up.
On that note, Take a pie pan, fill it with coke & leave it on the floor. If a mouse or rat drinks it, they will eventually explode because they cannot burp.

The poison-arrow frog has enough poison to kill about 2,200 people

If Brooklyn, New York became independent of New York City, it would be the third largest city in the United States, after the remainder of New York and Los Angeles.

Cool, huh?
=D> =P~ \:D/ :D more :pray: pleeeeaaaase?? :anxious:
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Preachers cry, too, when they don't do well on exams. ;)

(At least, I learned that yesterday.)
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

you should apologize when you tell someone something you shouldn't have.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

THat
it's incredibly easy to apply for Liberty University

Virginia is sounding really good

Liberty U gives some SERIOUS scholarships and aid even though it was already relatively cheap o begin with.

I really realyl need to ask David O more about the school and stuff cause I might be atending there in January \:D/

I need serious prayer for said descisions, that I will know if it's God's plan for me or not etc
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

.1 divided by 7 takes a really long time to do...try it. (on paper!)
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

A few minutes ago I learned that the toaster works best when....*looks around suspicously*.......when it's plugged in

Peace Out

-Gimp

Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

gimp80995 wrote:A few minutes ago I learned that the toaster works best when....*looks around suspicously*.......when it's plugged in

Peace Out

-Gimp
I always hate re-learning that one. :anxious:

Today I learned (the embarrassing way...of course) that Theodora is actually a guy's name, too. :oops: :anxious:
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

that dry ice is made up of carbon dioxide
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

MsMaxwell wrote:
gimp80995 wrote:A few minutes ago I learned that the toaster works best when....*looks around suspicously*.......when it's plugged in

Peace Out

-Gimp
I always hate re-learning that one. :anxious:

Today I learned (the embarrassing way...of course) that Theodora is actually a guy's name, too. :oops: :anxious:
I do that alot too! Why can't I just learn to plug something in???
Me
An original

Post by Me »

LOTR techno remixes really tend to get stuck in the head.... :anxious:
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

That giving total control to God over a situation is insanely hard but so worthwhile.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

That in about a half hour I need to get of the computer. :sick:
HARLOW DOYLE, PRIVATE EYE
Gold Member

Post by HARLOW DOYLE, PRIVATE EYE »

Bamboo can grow three feet in twenty-four hours.

20 newborn opossums can fit into a tablespoon.

Belief in the existence of vacuums used to be punishable by death under church law.

A jellyfish is 95% water.

More money is printed daily for the Monopoly game than by the U.S. Treasury.

Shirley Temple always had 56 curls in her hair.

William Shakespeare's father's first name was John.

The Milky Way galaxy contains 5 billion stars larger than our sun.

The male scorpion fly gets other males to bring him food by imitating a female fly.

Toki doki kuruma de kayotte imasu means Sometimes I commute by car. in Japanese.

A pound of termites has more nutrients than a pound of beef or pork

Research indicates that mosquitoes are attracted to people who have recently eaten bananas.

Shakespeare spelled his own name several different ways.

The quartz crystal in your wristwatch vibrates 32768 times a second.

Carnivorous animals will not eat another animal that has been hit by a lightning strike

Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, never phoned his wife or his mother, they were both deaf.

St. Stephen is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

The aquatic animal, the Red Sponge, can be broken into a thousand pieces and still reconstitute itself.

Murphy's Oil Soap is the chemical most commonly used to clean elephants.

Crocodiles swallow stones to help them dive deeper.

Brazil got it's name from the nut, not the other way around.

All porcupines float in water.

Elephants are the only animal that can't jump.

Kermit the Frog is left handed.

It takes about 142.18 licks to reach the center of a tootsie pop.

The Sanskrit word for war translates as 'wanting more cows' because people would fight over cows.

Giraffes are unable to cough.

Armadillos are the only animal besides humans that can get leprosy.

If you started counting, and said one number every second, it would take you 33 years to get to 1 billion. (try it ;))

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

Goodyear rubber company researched and concluded that shoes wear out faster on the right foot than the left.

Mickey Mouse was banned in Romania in 1935 because it was felt that he was too scary for children.

The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds, that makes the catfish rank #1 for animal having the most taste buds.

Turkey's often look up at the sky during a rainstorm. Unfortunately some have been known to drown as a result.

ok, i didnt learn all of those today, but i have accumulated quite the random fact library in my years...

~~Harlow Doyle~~
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Wow! :-k Do you have any more?