Harry Potter

Since we've only mentioned it about twenty million times...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Caswin wrote:
Trixie Belden wrote:No, it was not. My mother knows all about Snopes and would certainly not use a source like that without checking first.
Ah. My mistake -- the Onion article is the only reference to Rowling actually mentioning the occult with more than a passing "no, my books aren't like that" that I had ever heard of. Given that, do you remember where the interview did come from?
I will have to ask my mother, but I will be sure to check and make sure.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Trixie Beldon wrote:It's teaching kids that just because Harry uses witchery and spells that are REAL that it's okay for them to do it to.
That's why it takes a certain level of maturity to read these books. J.K. Rowling has labeled them as "children's books," but the definition of "children" has become quite loose these days. One should only, in my opinion, read the books if one understands that any kind of magic, be it used for good or bad, is still evil and against God's ways.

And one thing I don't think we're making clear--kids aren't stupid! I don't mean to bash an argument by ANY MEANS at all, but you have to admit, a lot of just the generic argument against Harry Potter--not just at this forum--is assuming that kids are stupid enough to believe that because a book character does it, it is real and okay to do. Granted, this occurs from things such as Disney Channel (I have to say that I'm guilty!), but it's not likely to occur from reading Harry Potter. This whole series has been identified as a fantasy--the magic used is not real. Rowling makes it clear through interviews and through her writing that none of the elements are real. The books make all the magic so out-of-this-world and zany that it's impossible for it to be real--and kids understand that.

At any rate, a lot of kids are aware of the advanced vocabulary used in the books, and this is a turn-off for them because they don't want to have to bring a dictionary along with them as they read--true story.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Just to mention.....I found the plot line well done. It was fascinating. Very fascinating. And the language was few, something that's pretty rare in movies.
And to please those of you who always protest when someone says they dislike Harry Potter for the magic in it, there were several other reasons I disliked it. Not just because of the magic ;)
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

andy0923 wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Can we have a topic about Harry Potter without some sort of debate or Bible verse thrown out, please? This happens every time.... It's a book, it's not going to kill you, grow up.
Sorry that you may be offended at my reply, but I see no reason to refrain from scripture here.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things
The Harry Potter stories are all of those things and than some. That verse actually supports the reading of the Potter stories.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Might I ask how it supports it? Yes, it's good vs. evil, but it also goes against what the Bible says explicitly about witchcraft. You can have good vs. evil in the form of Dr. Blackgaard or Cruella DeVille without the subject of witchcraft coming up, which I think is a much better choice.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Wonderful! I agree....I hate witchcraft.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Trixie Belden wrote:Might I ask how it supports it? Yes, it's good vs. evil, but it also goes against what the Bible says explicitly about witchcraft. You can have good vs. evil in the form of Dr. Blackgaard or Cruella DeVille without the subject of witchcraft coming up, which I think is a much better choice.
Well, if you actually read the books or even watch the movies, witchcraft is just a gimmick to attract readers. It has almost nothing to do with real witchcraft.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

So I see the Salem witchcraft era is alive and well... :shock:

Do not forget here the difference in language between British and American English. You guys are interpreting "witchcraft" as something with ties to paganism and the devil, and as totally anti-Christian. The writer, on the other hand, is British and sees the term as referring to someone who can do magic. There is nothing demonic about it.

A funny thing between English on our two continents is that they often talk about having "pudding" at the end of the feats. It is the name of the dessert course, not just the stuff that Bill Cosby used to promote. :D
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Trixie Belden wrote:Might I ask how it supports it? Yes, it's good vs. evil, but it also goes against what the Bible says explicitly about witchcraft. You can have good vs. evil in the form of Dr. Blackgaard or Cruella DeVille without the subject of witchcraft coming up, which I think is a much better choice.
I wasn't allowed to watch 101 Dalmations cause Cruella DeVille was in it. So I guess if you're comparing Harry Potter as a good vs. evil thing too I shouldn't see that if I'm not allowed to see 101 Dalmations because you think that HP is worse the 101D.
Last edited by Anna><> on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Okay, true. I never watched 101 Dalmations either, I was just trying to think of recognizable good vs. evil situations. Okay, let's substitute that for Novacom, then! \:D/
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

darcie wrote:Do not forget here the difference in language between British and American English. You guys are interpreting "witchcraft" as something with ties to paganism and the devil, and as totally anti-Christian. The writer, on the other hand, is British and sees the term as referring to someone who can do magic. There is nothing demonic about it.
That's what I've been saying, more or less. (I wasn't aware that it was a part of British dialect.) The only thing I've heard that points toward Harry Potter being a special case at all is how Rowling supposedly researched Wicca while she was at it, but this is also the first I've heard of such a thing.

The content of the books themselves has about as much overlap as you'd expect from a lengthy series of books featuring magic -- the spells involved (Riddikulus, et cetera) are as fictional as any other. (I've heard one reviewer on Amazon note that they learned a lot more about witchcraft and paganism from one chapter of a book seeking it out in Harry Potter than they did from the entire series.)
Last edited by Caswin on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Elrohir wrote:Well, if you actually read the books or even watch the movies, witchcraft is just a gimmick to attract readers.
And that is acceptable, why? Witchcraft is openly condemned in the Bible, so why should we fill our minds with something that uses witchcraft to promote itself?

Anna><> wrote:
I wasn't allowed to watch 101 Dalmations cause Cruella DeVille was in it. So I guess if you're comparing Harry Potter as a good vs. evil thing too I shouldn't see that if I'm not allowed to see 101 Dalmations because you think that HP is worse the 101D.
Uhh... it is. :anxious: Cruella DeVille is just a mean lady who kidnaps the puppies because she likes spots. She is not demonic, spiritual or even ruthless, she's just mean and obsessed with black and white. That's nothing compared to sorcery and witchcraft.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Cruella DeVille who lives in Hells Hall... :-

Haha, just kidding... But yeah, comparing stuff like Harry Potter to Disney just doesn't really work... :anxious:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Okay, I was just trying to say that you can have any form of conflict that's still exciting and fun to read about without going against God's laws. And in Harry Potter, it's the main character that's going against God's laws! If that's not sinning, then I don't know what is.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Trixie Belden wrote: Okay, I was just trying to say that you can have any form of conflict that's still exciting and fun to read about without going against God's laws. And in Harry Potter, it's the main character that's going against God's laws! If that's not sinning, then I don't know what is.
That depends. I just want to make sure: Are we holding Gandalf, Glinda ("Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?") and Merlin to the same standard?
Last edited by Caswin on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Yes, we are. I'm not a big fan of any of those, either, especially not the Wizard of Oz. Witchery is still witchery, no matter what name you give it, the concept is the same!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Then Aslan's magic is also witchery?
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I wouldn't say that, simply because it's not given that name, he doesn't use examples from true "religious" cults, and there is a definite difference between fantasy and witchcraft. The White Witch, I would say, is using true witchcraft, which is one reason that I'm a little leery of the Narnia books in general. I have read them, and the Witch was a bit uncomfortable reading them, and why my mom was hesitant to let me read them.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

but the White Witch's witchcraft is clearly portrayed as evil. So therefore you can't say that the Narnia books condone using real witchcraft, because the evil character uses it, making it clear that witchcraft is bad.

Till the end of the line.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

That's true. In Harry Potter, the main characters use witchcraft, which is pretty much saying that it isn't a sin.