Macs or Windows

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

What are better?

Beautiful, Wonderful Macs!
30%
Windows.
58%
Something else
13%

Total votes: 64

STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

My first computer was a Mac, but I use PC's :-s
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

As Me said, there are many determining factors, but I would pick a PC over a Mac anyday. On a massive computer forum with lots of experts... (well over 2 million posts), they laugh at Macs... :-

My reason for using a PC is not because I've always used, or someone else has, that's a silly reason.

Macs are not all that much safer than PC's. (Assuming it's Mac + OSX versus Windows + Intel or AMD)

There are many reasons why not to use a Mac, and why a PC would be better.
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I grew up with desktop PCs and my pastor convinced me to get a MacBook instead of an HP Notebook. I still don't have a preference. I think for the rest of my life I may buy Mac laptops and PC desktops. Macs are a lot simpler to figure out and understand... but I love the compatability of PCs... most of the software I use had to stay on my PC because the Mac won't support it. I love my Mac, but I'm not converted.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Lots of people say that PCs have a "monopoly" but that's not totally true... In the '80's there was lots of different types of computers on the market: Apple IIe, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, Apple IIGS, etc along with PCs and Macintosh. There was lots of competion but PC won out because people started buying more and more PC's... if people didn't want PC they could have bought something else.

PS
Last I read, Mac only has about 6% of the US market...
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

WINDSHEAR wrote:As Me said, there are many determining factors, but I would pick a PC over a Mac anyday.

Yes, and there are many reasons I would take Mac over PC anyday! So what's your point?
WINDSHEAR wrote:On a massive computer forum with lots of experts... (well over 2 million posts), they laugh at Macs... :-
Yeah, well that's why I love them so much! (if that's true...which I kinda doubt but anywho...)

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
rickyderocher

Post by rickyderocher »

Can a mac fan out there please list at LEAST ten clear reasons why they would pick a MAC over a PC, instead of just saying "HEY! Mac is better than PC!"
Me
An original

Post by Me »

There is only one real reason.

"You prefer the way it works"

Other than that, they're so equal in performance and capabilities (for the most part), that it's not much of a debate any more.
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

Me wrote:There is only one real reason.

"You prefer the way it works"

Other than that, they're so equal in performance and capabilities (for the most part), that it's not much of a debate any more.
Pretty much. I think I'd say that "I enjoy THAT is works..."

But I'm sure if you put some money into a PC you'd have something that's comparable to an Apple...It's just that the PCs I've used have all been pretty basic computers so I guess it just seems like most of my PC using friends aren't able to do what I can do on my little iBook. But like I said if you were to put some money into a PC you'd probably have something that compares to a Mac.
rickyderocher wrote:Can a mac fan out there please list at LEAST ten clear reasons why they would pick a MAC over a PC, instead of just saying "HEY! Mac is better than PC!"
First, I'd like to say that don't think I've ever said, "HEY! Mac is better than PC!" and that's it...

Now, I'm no expert but here are some of the reasons that I like my Mac. I'm not saying PCs can't do this stuff...they're just my reasons. So please do come back with some response like, "Well, my PC can do that too!". But here are some of the things that I can think of of the top of my head, they're not gonna be profound but they're still the reasons I love my Mac:

1. Installing System software is easy
2. Never have to deal with possible viruses
3. Mac computers provide true plug-and-play capability
4. All Macs come with iLife...which is very useful
5. It is easy to understand
6. I like the way it is laid out over the Windows layout, just more simplistic
7. Mac is reliable
8. Macs have great graphics
9. Networking Macs is easy, just plug in and turn on sharing
10. I've never had anything go wrong with my Mac
11. Updates are free, quick and easy
12. Ease of computer maintenance
13. I know very little about how computers work yet I can add my own RAM
14. It's fast
15. Macs usually require fewer steps to perform tasks
16. Mac programs are relatively consistent regarding their 'rules' of operation
17. Macs can bootup off any external storage device
18. It doesn't take long for Mac to indroduce new things
19. I love the new magnetic power cord
20. Works right out of the box
21. Never crashes

Um, I guess that's enough for now. If you need more reasons Rickyderocher let me know...hope that helps.

Peace out.

~ Mac

rickyderocher

Post by rickyderocher »

Ok, those are some good reasons, I guess... (I'm not so sure about number 8... Don't PC's pretty much have the same graphics? :-s Unless your talking about 3D stuff? (in which case good graphics cards can be bought for a PC for quite cheap to boost 3D rendering, etc...)

If you like MAC that's ok... but lots of us like PC's and that's ok too...
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

rickyderocher wrote:Ok, those are some good reasons, I guess... (I'm not so sure about number 8... Don't PC's pretty much have the same graphics? :-s Unless your talking about 3D stuff? (in which case good graphics cards can be bought for a PC for quite cheap to boost 3D rendering, etc...)
I'm not saying PC doesn't have good graphics. I'm just saying that Mac does!

rickyderocher wrote:If you like MAC that's ok... but lots of us like PC's and that's ok too...
Um, yeah. I never thought it wasn't okay for me to like Mac but, uh, thanks! I've pretty much said from the beginning that I like Mac cause it works for me. Others use PCs cause that's what works for them. And that's fine. But you asked for reasons, that's the only reason I listed them and like I said, I hope my list helps shed some light on why I like Macs.

Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

macnut24 wrote:1. Installing System software is easy
7. Mac is reliable
14. It's fast
21. Never crashes
~ Mac
Might I add....

22. Just looks cooler!

edit: fixed your quote so mac said the quote rather than Me! Don't think he wants the quote attributed to him. -Darcie
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

Darth Birdie wrote:22. Just looks cooler!
I was gonna put that but then I forgot...thanks for adding.

Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

How could you forget! :shame:

;)
jim
Processing

Post by jim »

rickyderocher wrote:Can a mac fan out there please list at LEAST ten clear reasons why they would pick a MAC over a PC, instead of just saying "HEY! Mac is better than PC!"
Sure -

1.Integrated, out of the box solution. Pull it out, plug it in, and your 95% of the way there.

2. One company writes the OS and creates the hardware. An integrated experience where you know it will owrk and not have to worry about your sound card, graphics card, etc.

3. Consistent and regular OS updates. 5 major updates in 5 and a half years, dozens of minor upgrades.

4. Backward compatbility. The last major upgrade to the Mac OS was 10.4, I have it running on 8 year old computers and the onlt thing I had to change was adding ram. Apple makes their software backwards compatable for a lengthly time. Microsoft (windows) does not.

5. No viruses, no malware and spyware. The last MAC OS virus was in OS 7, 10 years ago. even then there were viruses in the single digits. Compare this to the tens of thousands windows viruses. PC users can whine that it is not true but i can respond that on all my macs at home and work I do not have to run symantic or any other anti-virus software because there is no known virus for the mac.

6. More intuitive layout and dsign. Though Windows XP was a huge improvement over earlier versions, the Mac is simply layed out in a more user friendly design where I can think of what I want to do and not think of how to do it.

7. It is the standard in the publishing, graphics and printing industries. 90% of all graphic art files come from the mac.

8. iLife.

9. Plug and lay is reality not a theory.

10. Windows XP 2006 - MAC OS 8 1995
Free Comic emailed weekly!
http://www.gumballgang.com
Live DrawingCam! http://www.kidstimestudio.com/drawingcam
Me
An original

Post by Me »

macnut24 wrote: Pretty much. I think I'd say that "I enjoy THAT is works..."
Ouch... that's a pretty low blow... PC's certainly work...
macnut24 wrote: But I'm sure if you put some money into a PC you'd have something that's comparable to an Apple...It's just that the PCs I've used have all been pretty basic computers so I guess it just seems like most of my PC using friends aren't able to do what I can do on my little iBook. But like I said if you were to put some money into a PC you'd probably have something that compares to a Mac.
Umm... One doesn't really have to put money into a PC to have it outperform a Mac. The PC I built for $1000 blows a dual processor G5 with 1Gb of RAM out of the water. It really doesn't take that much. Up until the core2duo, PC's have always been cheaper for the performance.
macnut24 wrote:
First, I'd like to say that don't think I've ever said, "HEY! Mac is better than PC!" and that's it...

Now, I'm no expert but here are some of the reasons that I like my Mac. I'm not saying PCs can't do this stuff...they're just my reasons. So please do come back with some response like, "Well, my PC can do that too!". But here are some of the things that I can think of of the top of my head, they're not gonna be profound but they're still the reasons I love my Mac:

7. Mac is reliable
14. It's fast
21. Never crashes

Um, I guess that's enough for now. If you need more reasons Rickyderocher let me know...hope that helps.

Peace out.

~ Mac
"So please do come back with some response like..." I certainly hope that "do" isn't a typo when you meant "don't" or something, because I'm going to reply to every single one. ;)

Also, I'm going to be responding for both Linux and Windows...

1. Yes. But as far as I'm aware, you aren't allowed much control over the installation process, which is something that I find somewhat upsetting (I could be wrong, though).

2. Not true. There are Mac viruses, they're just a lot harder to get. Also, on a PC, a good awareness of healthy srufing habits, and using an alternative browser, can present a virus free experience. I don't even have AV software installed on my system, and I only run a scan about every six months.

3. Most of the time... I've had some interesting problems with PCMCIA devices on Macs lately... Plug and Pray has certainly gotten a lot better on the PC side in recent years, but yes, it does have a lot of problems. I'd guess, in large part, because of the wide variety of devices avaliable.

4. I have absolutely no use whatsoever for iLife. If I needed some of the features on the PC side, I would simply find individual open source apps for it.

5. That's entirely a matter dependant on the person using the computer. I found Linux far easier to understand.

6. Meh. I don't like the simplicity. I like control. I want to see details. And I detest the OSX layout. Just a preference thing.

7. No more reliable that a PC. Same number of hardware failures, etc.

8. So do PC's, as you have already alluded to. Graphics cards using the same chipset are, after all, often released for both platforms.

9. True. Until you try to interface with something like a Novell server. Then things get a bit interesting.

10. You are one of the few people I know of who can say that... seriously.

11. Same on the PC side (usually)

12. Depends on what sort of maintenance you're talking about.

13. Anyone can add their own RAM to any computer. It's perhaps one of the most simple hardware related tasks, a process that is virtually the same on all platforms.

14. As are PC's. And until recently, at a better price point as well.

15. That entirely depends on which tasks you are performing, how you have your computer set up, and how much control you want over the process.

16. I personally don't see how this is an advantage. In my software, I want the rules that work best for what I'm doing in the app.

17. As can PC's.

18. Neither does it on the other side. On an OS level, perhaps, but that's what open source software is for.

19. I like my tradition power cords that work with any system I own. Unless, of course, you're referring to laptops, in which case, I want to know why they use/used to use an RCA plug for power...

20. Nothing unusual about that on either side.

21. Blatantly false. In the last two years, I can honestly say that I've crashed macs more than I have PC's. Well over fifty times, I've had a total system crash on a variety of different macs.

Now I'll respond to a few points from the most recent list:

4. Backward compatibility. Apparently you've never seen WinXP running a an origional Pentium 233 with 128mb of RAM, and a 3Gb hard drive. Not a thing changed from when that thing was designed to run Win95/98.

5. Viruses exist. But as I've already stated, they are just MUCH harder to get. There are more viruses for PC's, in part, because they contol so much of the market. Also, how many viruses are out there for Linux? How many people get them? Yeah... I thought so. Also, I don't have virus scanning software installed. And for the record, Symantec and Norton are garbage.

6. Entirely subjective. I tend to share a different view of that.

7. Don't even get me started. I do graphics and media for a living. I also interface with industry professionals on a regular basis. The numbers you state are quite wrong nowadays. They certainly used to be true, I can imagine, but no longer.

8. Meh.

10. I have absolutely no idea what you mean here...
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

Me wrote:
macnut24 wrote: Pretty much. I think I'd say that "I enjoy THAT is works..."
Ouch... that's a pretty low blow... PC's certainly work...
That was a joke...sorry.
Me wrote:
macnut24 wrote: But I'm sure if you put some money into a PC you'd have something that's comparable to an Apple...It's just that the PCs I've used have all been pretty basic computers so I guess it just seems like most of my PC using friends aren't able to do what I can do on my little iBook. But like I said if you were to put some money into a PC you'd probably have something that compares to a Mac.
Umm... One doesn't really have to put money into a PC to have it outperform a Mac. The PC I built for $1000 blows a dual processor G5 with 1Gb of RAM out of the water. It really doesn't take that much. Up until the core2duo, PC's have always been cheaper for the performance.
Whatever you say, Kahuna!
Me wrote:
macnut24 wrote:

7. Mac is reliable
14. It's fast
21. Never crashes

Peace out.

~ Mac
"So please do come back with some response like..." I certainly hope that "do" isn't a typo when you meant "don't" or something, because I'm going to reply to every single one. ;)

Also, I'm going to be responding for both Linux and Windows...

1. Yes. But as far as I'm aware, you aren't allowed much control over the installation process, which is something that I find somewhat upsetting (I could be wrong, though).

2. Not true. There are Mac viruses, they're just a lot harder to get. Also, on a PC, a good awareness of healthy srufing habits, and using an alternative browser, can present a virus free experience. I don't even have AV software installed on my system, and I only run a scan about every six months.

3. Most of the time... I've had some interesting problems with PCMCIA devices on Macs lately... Plug and Pray has certainly gotten a lot better on the PC side in recent years, but yes, it does have a lot of problems. I'd guess, in large part, because of the wide variety of devices avaliable.

4. I have absolutely no use whatsoever for iLife. If I needed some of the features on the PC side, I would simply find individual open source apps for it.

5. That's entirely a matter dependant on the person using the computer. I found Linux far easier to understand.

6. Meh. I don't like the simplicity. I like control. I want to see details. And I detest the OSX layout. Just a preference thing.

7. No more reliable that a PC. Same number of hardware failures, etc.

8. So do PC's, as you have already alluded to. Graphics cards using the same chipset are, after all, often released for both platforms.

9. True. Until you try to interface with something like a Novell server. Then things get a bit interesting.

10. You are one of the few people I know of who can say that... seriously.

11. Same on the PC side (usually)

12. Depends on what sort of maintenance you're talking about.

13. Anyone can add their own RAM to any computer. It's perhaps one of the most simple hardware related tasks, a process that is virtually the same on all platforms.

14. As are PC's. And until recently, at a better price point as well.

15. That entirely depends on which tasks you are performing, how you have your computer set up, and how much control you want over the process.

16. I personally don't see how this is an advantage. In my software, I want the rules that work best for what I'm doing in the app.

17. As can PC's.

18. Neither does it on the other side. On an OS level, perhaps, but that's what open source software is for.

19. I like my tradition power cords that work with any system I own. Unless, of course, you're referring to laptops, in which case, I want to know why they use/used to use an RCA plug for power...

20. Nothing unusual about that on either side.

21. Blatantly false. In the last two years, I can honestly say that I've crashed macs more than I have PC's. Well over fifty times, I've had a total system crash on a variety of different macs.
Wow! How much money did you get for that post? You'll notice that I perfaced my list with:
macnut24 wrote:Now, I'm no expert but here are some of the reasons that I like my Mac. I'm not saying PCs can't do this stuff...they're just my reasons.
That being said. I was hesitant to even post my little list but did because rickyderocher asked. I knew that it wouldn't be long before you and WINDY would post something. But as I have said, Mac works for me! PCs work for you and I am soooo happy for you! While I disagree with a lot of what you said, that's nothing new.

Those were MY reasons based on my experience with MY Mac! But anyway, I've never cared much about your opinion when it comes to this matter. Don't worry though, I don't a agree with WINDY or PC Pro either! It's kinda a compliment. :D

A lot of my reasons were just based on preference, so prefer yours all you like. \:D/

;)

Edit: You're still my hero for posting the new AIO! ;)

WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

well, I'm glad your Mac has never crashed, that's a pretty unusual track record. :) My PC hasn't ever crashed either, except when I was doing things to it... ;) like overclocking, and messing with hardware and software, tweaking, etc :anxious:

But my other PC, (which I never messed with, other than putting RAM in) has never, ever crashed.
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

WINDSHEAR wrote:well, I'm glad your Mac has never crashed, that's a pretty unusual track record. :) My PC hasn't ever crashed either, except when I was doing things to it... ;) like overclocking, and messing with hardware and software, tweaking, etc :anxious:

But my other PC, (which I never messed with, other than putting RAM in) has never, ever crashed.
It is no more unusual then the fact that yours hasn't crashed.

I'm glad that they work so well for you. I guess they hate me. But whatever. :D I guess I haven't given them reason to like me... ;)

WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

you also have to keep another factor in mind, older PC's are much more prone to crashing. ;)

and yes, it is unusual that your Mac has, according to you, "never crashed" Most Macs crash more than occasionally. :-
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Ah, yes... but which version of Mac do you mean? My older OS 7 thru 9 tended to crash, but OSX very very very rarely has. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon