The most scary episodes

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

Moontide wrote: So chess now is a homage to queens?
If you weren't already aware that the game of Chess is very closely tied with the feudal age, ancient warfare, and, yes, the royalty of that era, I'm not sure that arguing this point is going to help anything.
But the piece is referring to it's self, and not to anything else.
So if I was to name something after a curse word, it'd be okay because the name refers to itself, not to the curse word?

I don't think so... it doesn't work that way. Unless the game designer is making up names by combining random letters, and he just happens to stumble across a d, e, v, i, and l, all in a row, the piece's name can be assumed to be inspired by or in recognition of devils... because that's what everyone who plays the game (unless they don't know English) is going to think of when they see the name of the piece, and because "devil" has a very specific definition in the dictionary.

Even assuming that the game designer *did* make up his piece names in just that way, and he did just happen, by random chance, to get the name "devil" for one of his pieces, it *still* would be inadvisable to use it because people would still likely think of it in association with evil spirits, even if the name was chosen in a method that had nothing to do with them.
Last edited by Bob on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.