Inception

Your mind is the scene of the crime.

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!

When do you plan to see Inception?

Opening weekend
4%
Theaters
33%
DVD/Blu-ray
8%
Probably never
29%
I don't know
25%

Total votes: 24

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

The ending totally made it the best movie... ever.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Well, my mind is officially gone. You simply cannot watch this movie and not be effected. I'm as stressed as can be. Putting on the softest of all songs isn't really even helping. Very few movies play with my mind (actually, The Dark Knight—another movie directed by Nolan—is among the few), but this one takes the cake.

This movie is amazing, though. Do I recommend it? Who knows. A+

*goes to read some random funnies so I can temporarily forget what I watched*
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Aaron Wiley
Popsicle kid

Post by Aaron Wiley »

I would like to encourage anyone here to go watch inception NOW! (except if you're less than 13). This movie, was honestly one of the best movies I've ever seen! 50% of the movie was the climax! I could NOT keep my jaw off the floor! The ending, now that was just CRUEL! Altogether it was a FANTASTIC movie. Although, on the lines of discussion.
I have a friend, who thinks that maybe the whole thing, was the guy incepting himself, so that he would think that his kids were ACTUALLY his kids, and his wife was right about needing to kill them selves to wake up. What do you all think?
Spoiler tag added, just in case. -AE
"And the Lord saw that man had created the Internet, and He was most distressed. For once people started using chatspeak and improper grammar, their level of smartness was decreased by more than 500%. And so the Lord removed all the gifts he had once bestowed on man, and it was very sad." The Book of Marvin, Chapter 351, Verse 442.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jesus_Minime wrote:
I have a friend, who thinks that maybe the whole thing, was the guy incepting himself, so that he would think that his kids were ACTUALLY his kids, and his wife was right about needing to kill them selves to wake up. What do you all think?
I highly doubt that. Some website I found considered that same theory. Here is what Michael Caine, the actor who portrayed Prof. Stephen Miles (Cobb's father in law), said: "[The spinning top] drops at the end, that's when I come back on. If I'm there it's real, because I'm never in the dream. I'm the guy who invented the dream." The idea of it all being a giant inception isn't out of the question, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence behind it. :-k
My head is clearing now. ;) I can only think of around 5 movies that were truly "mind-blowing", and this is one of them.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

American Eagle wrote:Well, my mind is officially gone. You simply cannot watch this movie and not be effected. I'm as stressed as can be. Putting on the softest of all songs isn't really even helping. Very few movies play with my mind (actually, The Dark Knight—another movie directed by Nolan—is among the few), but this one takes the cake.
I KNOW RIGHT.

Christopher Nolan is my hero. The Dark Knight is my all-time favorite movie... ever. \:D/ A couple other films directed by him include The Prestige and Memento... both movies take you on that same kind of twisty roller coaster of awesomeness that Inception does. Nolan is kinda rare visionary director who comes along and just raises the bar for good movies everywhere.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The swearing in Memento ticked me off, but yeah, the mysterious storyline was incredible.

I was able to watch this again today, and so I'll give a full review. My first viewing was with my brother, and that never works out well. We ended up shifting around in our spots for the entire movie, making noise, stopping every five minutes for food and restroom breaks, etc. Needless to say, I enjoy watching movies alone.

Don't continue reading unless you've seen the movie. I truly mean it.
The opening/ending scene was done to perfection. I thought it really fit the beginning, until Cobb shows up the shore at the end. Then you're like, "NOWAI! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!" The super old guy is... super creepy. When the real, younger guy shows up again on the plane... yeah, talk about a chilling moment.

In fact, I got chills for the last 10 minutes of the movie. As soon as the old dude lifts the gun, Cobb wakes up alive and looks around at the other people we've all grown to love. No one said a word, yet everyone understands the incredible journey of actually creating this inception. It was shockingly awesome.

I've skipped some good stuff. From when the van starts to fall of the bridge... wow. As Jesus_Minime said, there's a half-hour climax! The music really does it all. You may or may not notice it, but it immensely adds to the thrill of every single mind-blowing scene. Kudos to the mastermind to composed the score.

I didn't really understand Cobb planting his wife's inception until the second viewing. That's pretty tough stuff. It must've taken an incredible amount of faith in her husband's words to get underneath the plane like that. One thing I don't get. When they kill themselves in limbo, they're very young. Yet later on, the couple is shown really old in that world, and he says, "But we did [grow old together]." If they left that world when they were young, at what point were they old?

The funniest part of the movie is when Arthur says, "Yeah... it was worth a shot" and the look on Ariadne's face. \:D/

The ending was mesmerizing. As I said, looking at the other peoples' faces on the plane was great, but it continued as he walked through the airport. I seriously teared up (on my second watch, mind you), and the watery eyes didn't leave until Cobb had walked outside with his kids. The music in the credits was amazing.
I can't get over this movie. I may try to watch it again, but I never watch movies more than once (unless I love the movie or have nothing better to do). For me to actually want to watch this three times in that many days... says a lot. I truly hope this movie wins Best Picture. I couldn't imagine a more deserving movie.

A+ / 10 stars

Best movie of 2010? Inception. Personal favorite? The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Animated? Toy Story 3. This has been an incredible year for movies. :D

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I think that they were shown young together just to fit the storyline. We couldn't know that they DID live there for what, sixty years? So they showed them young- which was as much as we knew them.

And yes, I completely agree with the funniest part. :inlove: Such a player...

...The ending. :x I hate stuff like that. Like "The Lady and the Tiger". Grrr... But I think it stopped spinning. It couldn't NOT have. Else there would be some heads rolling.... :noway:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Well said, AE, well said. :yes:

Ya, man there was like a LOT of stuff I didn't get until the second viewing. And I'll never forget that feeling when the full effect just blew me away. It put me permanently in love with this film. :inlove:

The plot is quite immense and complex, obviously. I'm sure that, if you wanted to, you could easily find a whole list of plot holes and mistakes. But that's really not the point, is it? The film focuses on the emotional relationships, not every little detail of the rather absurd idea of entering people's dreams. Heck, we barely get one sentence in the movie that even talks about the very machine that allows it all to happen!

Concerning the cliffhanger ending...
Maybe the top fell, maybe it didn't... but that's also not the point. The point is that Cobb completed his mission; that he's happy. You could go on and on about how he might still be dreaming and it could lead to questions about reality in general, but Nolan makes his point clear when he just chooses to cut to black. It doesn't really matter.
And yes, the soundtrack is mind blowing in itself. Brilliant work, brilliant work.
American Eagle wrote:Best movie of 2010? Inception. Personal favorite? The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Animated? Toy Story 3. This has been an incredible year for movies. :D
this. \:D/
...except not Dawn Treader. :x
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Inception was a whole lot of movie. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Well, that, the mythos it set up being rife with fanmade roleplaying potential, and...
Shennifer wrote:^what's wrong with the ending? Or actually, if you don't want to post spoilers, than pm me about your theories if you want.
It ends with a top spinning... and it wobbles for a second.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Caswin wrote:
Shennifer wrote:^what's wrong with the ending? Or actually, if you don't want to post spoilers, than pm me about your theories if you want.
It ends with a top spinning... and it wobbles for a second.
I noticed that on my second viewing. In the dream world, the top never came close to wobbling. It seemed to wobble at the end.

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

yeah, the top did wobble, so I'm inclined to believe that it was the real world. But one thing still makes me doubt: when he was calling his kids, near the beginning of the movie, his son sounded older than the younger girl did. But then at the end, they're both way young. Just something to think about. I need to see this movie again.

Till the end of the line.
Steehl
Not Implemented

Post by Steehl »

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen it yet, but I really want to.
Go Celtics \:D/!
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I saw this in the cheap theatre and it was completely worth the $2 I paid to see it. ;)
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I personally did not like the movie to say the least. Far too predictable. A good idea ruined by poor writing.

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

31899 wrote:Far too predictable.
So you expected the scene played at the beginning to be replayed at the end?

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

31899 wrote:I personally did not like the movie to say the least. Far too predictable. A good idea ruined by poor writing.

dude... this thread is about the movie Inception. Go back to the thread about Twilight. :x
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Liz informed me that I had my facts wrong, so that's further proof I need to watch it again. Then post again. But I still thought the movie was fascinating and amazing. :yes:

Till the end of the line.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

American Eagle wrote:
Can you actually say with all realism you didn't find it at all predictable? :-s I am now confused by your comment...

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

31899 wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
Can you actually say with all realism you didn't find it at all predictable? :-s I am now confused by your comment...

I didn't expect that scene to play out like it did. Various things in the movie surprised me, like them growing old in limbo and planting his wife's inception.

gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Amazing movie. Christopher Nolan just does it. I only watched 3 movies from him and I'm incredibly impressed. Inception was a really well done movie and thank goodness he didn't go into the 3-D fad. Its so annoying that every movie now has to have 3-D.

Anyways
The first time I saw it on the theaters I didn't see the top wobbling so I personally thought he was stuck in limbo. After all you did see Saito pick up the gun, you never saw him shoot. Maybe Nolan did this on purpose. But I'm more convinced now that he made it out a live. But just like what someone else said, Cobbs was happy he was able to get the job done and go back to his kids. I think thats all that matters.

31899 wrote:I personally did not like the movie to say the least. Far too predictable. A good idea ruined by poor writing.

Woah! You got extremely high standards for movies. I'm just curious, but what would you consider a good movie and possibly naming one? Once again I'm just curious.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith