What is your Favorite computer?

Computer.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

I have seen the BSOD when I had vista over 5 times, seen it once or twice on another desktop, and over 3 times on "pappy" my old broken Vaio :p.

I can drag and drop things in Arch. I don't know why you can't in ubuntu samwise :p. Ubuntu is my least favorite distro. With "sudo" You can gain administrative privileges without administrative passwords, it's too popular, and leaves a lot of security holes. Still better than windows though :p.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I generally use a Windows 2000 SP4 and latest-version Ubuntu dual-boot.
Win2k because it has decently wide compatibility and decent security as long as you use a proper program setup, and is thus far better than XP for my needs. ...although I wish iTunes would get more back-compatible, it's very annoying.

I'm really just an Ubuntu/General Linux novice, though. Once I learn to make better use of it it might be worth a single-boot system.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I like the Commodore 64.

-Robo
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

The Ghost of Robo wrote:I like the Commodore 64.

-Robo
Hey! I was just going to say the same thing! :D

I also like the Amiga 1200.

Yes, I'm a nerd... :D But I'm proud of it!
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

I miss the days of playing games like Treasure Mountain and The Oregon Trail on my old 486.

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
miko14
Photographer Extraordinaire

Post by miko14 »

Yah, Birdie my mom agrees whith you 100% miko14
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

My favorite computer is probably my first one which was like a Windows 5.0 because it was very kid friendly. I learned so much about how to use the computer on that computer.... Also, there were sweet games. \:D/
I do what I do.
miko14

Post by miko14 »

So GlennAdams, what tipes of games do you like to play? :D miko14
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Well, right now, I have an x box and I like to play sports games. But back in the day, lol, I loved Commander Keen 1,2, and 3. Also, I liked Captain Comic. There was also this alien game where you had to find all the letters?? Anyways... lol. What about you. Any great computer games you like/ liked?
I do what I do.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

miko14 wrote:Yah, Birdie my mom agrees whith you 100% miko14
Agrees with what? :anxious:
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I'm a Windows person, but I really have never used a Max, and only used Linux a couple times. No idea of a brand, since everyone I've used and/or owned has been mean to me.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Anything Apple of course-favorite OS is Leopard.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

They should do a Commander Keen remake. I aslo remember playing Wolfenstein 3D.

Bad NEWs! My Commodore 64, she's a broken. :cry:

-Robo
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Movieman wrote:I miss the days of playing games like Treasure Mountain and The Oregon Trail on my old 486.
OK, wow...way to make me feel old :anxious:

I totally used to play those games on our old, old macintosh :(
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

J-man wrote:I don't really want to get into a big debate, but how many of you who seem to hate Vista have actually used it? :-k

I've used windows all my life and like it, although I'm sorta getting into Linux too. (lol, sorta.. *cough*)
I find with Vista a few people hate on it and then people just follow by example...It's got some issues but I think it's a good stable OS. I'd definitely use it over XP for regular computing.

But the best system and OS is Mac OS 10.5 Leopard. \:D/
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Kait wrote:
Movieman wrote:I miss the days of playing games like Treasure Mountain and The Oregon Trail on my old 486.
OK, wow...way to make me feel old :anxious:

I totally used to play those games on our old, old macintosh :(
*blinks*

Now you made ME feel old :<. I used to totally eat up Oregon Trail on our old macintosh, too.
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I got Vista for my laptop. I didn't really like it because I couldn't get my older programs to work on it. Now I really like it since I got the 1st service pack. They need hurry with the next service pack, then maybe it be the bomb! At least for me. :D

-Robo
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

Vista hasn't exactly been my friend. It's for games only, I have a copy of XP pro, but it has ran it's license out (:- ). Vista has actually given me more trouble with my wireless card than Linux has altogether. All I have to do is go into hibernate mode, and come back into vista, and bam, I have to reinstall my wireless card :|.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Azariah Ben Yaakov wrote:Vista hasn't exactly been my friend. It's for games only, I have a copy of XP pro, but it has ran it's license out (:- ). Vista has actually given me more trouble with my wireless card than Linux has altogether. All I have to do is go into hibernate mode, and come back into vista, and bam, I have to reinstall my wireless card :|.
Have you installed any updates?
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Vista is actually killing me. It is exceedingly slow while downloading updates and the like- it needs new updates EVERY SINGLE DAY (no matter how much I try to stay on top of them, I can't ever keep up), and it has a bluescreen error going on... I still haven't gotten to the bottom of it, and it's killing me. I'll be sitting on my computer, doing w/e, and all of the sudden the screen will turn blue with wide wording, saying that it's restarting to save my information. Supposedly it has something to do with my Intel Turbo Memory Driver :\.