christian vs. secular

is it wrong?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Storm
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Storm »

When I listen to music, I listen for the lyrics and the tune. I mostly like the music that has harmony in it. It just adds to the song so much. For the question if Christians should listen to secular music, I think that it depends on if the song has meaning, or doesn't talk about bad things. I personally only like the songs that I can get things out of, songs that will give me a lift in the day. I also like soundtracks from people like Howard Shore and Harry-Gregson Williams. Those are two of my favorites.
serrebi
29K to go!

Post by serrebi »

FrayedAroundTheEdges wrote:im just wondering what you guys feel about christians listening to secular music.
i feel that as long as they don't swear an the lyrics arent vulgar or anything its fine. in my opinion the whole fakey, happy, cheer up, life will get better feeling of some christian music gets kind of annoying sometimes. i mean dont get me wrong, theyre are some AH-MAZIN christian bands out there (i.e. Hawk Nelson, Superchic[k], Relient K etc). but i feel like there are some christian bands that like kind of put a mask on whats really going on in the world, and it gets really old.

what does everyone else here think?
Speaking from someone who is agnostic, I listen to both christian and secular music. Mostly, I listen to electronic music genres, spacificly commercial trance, progressive trance, hardtrance, and UK hardcore. When I get out of my electronic bubble, I listen to mostly emo and christian rock, frankly because I trreat pop/rock/whatever just like I treat any other type of music, as a production. By far, one of my fav christian rock bands is falling up, just because of the pianos and melotic melo's they use in there stuff. The 2006 remix album had some very different sounding remixes I apreciate. Dawn escapes is there best studio album IMO[captiva is sort of growing on me, but I dunno, I'm not liking many of the songs. Crashings and dawn escapes I can listen to the whole album and apreciate it. I can't say the same thing about captiva], probably because 2005 was when I first heard christian rock I really liked. Good times. As long as you can agree with the lyrics, I think it's cool to listen to both secular and christian music. I couldn't imagine limiting myself to eather one of them. I'd feel like I was missing out on so much great music!. I"d list more bands [red, skillit, supersheak? or whatever], lol, but I'm rambling.
ON a related note, why did they kill Sirius revolution! someone recently sent me 2 20 minute recordings of the 128k premium stream, and listening to the song selection, it's sad that I never had the opertunity to listen to it. It's a great introduction and it's sad that it's gone... Has anyone listened to spirit's friday night christian rock thing? I haven't bugged my dad to let me use my old sirius reciever I let him use in his car, yet, and am wondering if it's worth it. :DThey never included it in the canadian subscriptions, unfortunetly. Sirius, if your reading this for some crazy reason :D , bring it back, please! I signed a patition... :D