Macs or Windows

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

What are better?

Beautiful, Wonderful Macs!
30%
Windows.
58%
Something else
13%

Total votes: 64

Mr Sarcastic Cow Man
I'm memorable

Post by Mr Sarcastic Cow Man »

Fenix n Gabe wrote:pc's sell better because they are better. :-

Just take a look at the poll. Windows is obviously preferred.
The poll now shows Windows is in the minority, despite all the people who voted because they've only used Windows to any significant degree. :-
Bare feet pwn. ~ Lucy
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

macnut24 wrote:
Pc Pro wrote:lol that dell was over prised :shame: anyway macs will only last 5 more years :pray:
5 years? ARE YOUR KIDDING ME!?!?!?!

We still have EVERY Mac we've every bought. (Except for one, and that one got fried when a tree in our front yard got hit by lightning.) All our Macs still work great, they may not be all that up-to-date but neither is any other computer made in 1990 something. And we've had about 8, well actually 10 but two of them we didn't buy brand new, but they still worked great and I think we still have them somewhere around here. Anyway, Macs last a WHOLE LOT LONGER than 5 years.
I did say the macs wouldn't last that long I say the makers wouldn't last that long
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Pc Pro wrote:
macnut24 wrote:
Pc Pro wrote:lol that dell was over prised :shame: anyway macs will only last 5 more years :pray:

We still have EVERY Mac we've every bought. (Except for one, and that one got fried when a tree in our front yard got hit by lightning.) All our Macs still work great, they may not be all that up-to-date but neither is any other computer made in 1990 something. And we've had about 8, well actually 10 but two of them we didn't buy brand new, but they still worked great and I think we still have them somewhere around here. Anyway, Macs last a WHOLE LOT LONGER than 5 years.
I did say the macs wouldn't last that long I say the makers wouldn't last that long
Yeah, I agree... Apple will probaly kick the bucket in a few years... they might already be dead if it wasn't for the fact that they lucked out with the IPOD.
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

rickyderocher wrote:
Pc Pro wrote:
macnut24 wrote:

Yeah, I agree... Apple will probaly kick the bucket in a few years... they might already be dead if it wasn't for the fact that they lucked out with the IPOD.
yeah that IPOD really did help them :shame:
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

Pc Pro wrote:
rickyderocher wrote:
Pc Pro wrote:
macnut24 wrote:

#-o Duhhh...of course the iPod helped them out a lot...the iPod is a huge thing these days, if some other company had come up with it, the iPod would whave helped the out a lot. But Apple has been around for 30 years and is becoming bigger and bigger and who knows maybe Mac will never be as big as windows but maybe it will. All I know is that the Apple is becoming a more and more respected by technology experts, example:

This article by Walt Mossberg:

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20041209.html

Peace out.

~ Mac

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Surprising as this may seem, I'm with Macnut on this one. Apple is not going anywhere in the next five years. Let us examine the facts. Apple was floundering. Then Steve Jobs comes along with the iPod, and followed it up with iTunes. I think it's safe to say that that is what perhaps saved the company.

But then Apple made one of the most brilliant moves possible. They switched to the x86 architecture. At the time, I thought it was a good/bad move. It proved that Apple was using inferior hardware in the PowerPC architecture, which was something I had been claiming for years. It was just slow (performance, not clock speed). But IBM and Sony were going crazy about another processor which you, of course, probably know about, the Cell. Well that's still not out, and most people have pretty much forgotten about it. Too many issues.

Enter the x86 architecture. For those who like it, OSX can now run on PC's (even if it is illegal, and people would have you to believe otherwise). Windows/Linux can run on Macs. And now with the same architecture, it's easier to port apps between the two OSes. Boot Camp came out. And now Parallels (if you don't know what this is, go look it up. It's pretty sweet). There is even one Apple store selling Windows. Apple has the highest margin of the computer industry that it has had in recent history. They aren't going anywhere.

That said, I still detest OSX from the very core of my being. The hardware, however is vastly improved, and actually coming way DOWN in price, making it more appealing all the time.
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

macnut24 wrote:
Pc Pro wrote:
rickyderocher wrote:
Pc Pro wrote:
macnut24 wrote:

#-o Duhhh...of course the iPod helped them out a lot...the iPod is a huge thing these days, if some other company had come up with it, the iPod would whave helped the out a lot. But Apple has been around for 30 years and is becoming bigger and bigger and who knows maybe Mac will never be as big as windows but maybe it will. All I know is that the Apple is becoming a more and more respected by technology experts, example:

This article by Walt Mossberg:

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20041209.html

Peace out.

~ Mac
I think it was more of a temp fix that won't last long
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

=;

Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

your a nut Pc! Ipods will last and get better far past the 20th century! I think!
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

ezy on the talk their!!
I can have my opion and can state it
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

sorry! I must remember my saying, " To be right you need somebody needs to be wrong..."
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

that ok yeah that soo true :) :-
jim
Processing

Post by jim »

Mac's all the way. I don't have to spend my time repairing or paying for virus protection. Or wait 5 years between OS updates.

The comes with everything I need or want and all I have to do is plug it in, hit the power button and it is ready.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Webcomic by email and special on character merchandise!
http://www.gumballgang.com
Free Comic emailed weekly!
Live DrawingCam! http://www.kidstimestudio.com/drawingcam
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

jim wrote:Mac's all the way. I don't have to spend my time repairing or paying for virus protection. Or wait 5 years between OS updates.

The comes with everything I need or want and all I have to do is plug it in, hit the power button and it is ready.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Webcomic by email and special on character merchandise!
Oh yeah!!!!!! Amen, brother!

LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

My last year of high school, one of the teachers (who also happened to be the principal) and this guy in my class were always having this debate. I didn't listen too intently, but the arguments of my teacher in favor of PC's seemed stronger - probably because everybody knew he was really smart.

Anyway, that isn't why I like PC's. I know hardly anything about computers, but I'm used to PC's. They've treated me well, and so I'm therefore biased in favor of them.

If only I could remember those convincing arguments and win y'all over to PC's ;)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

LizzieG wrote:If only I could remember those convincing arguments and win y'all over to PC's ;)
Never gonna happen. :noway:

Actually, I'd guess his argument seemed stronger just because he had more to say and better articulated his points. And it always seems PC people (the vast majority) like PCs because that's what they've always used! I've personally used them both- Mac at home and PC at work. And unless Windows makes some drastic change in their system, I'll always be a Mac person. And I have definitely converted my husband. A former PC user because that's what his family always had, he used to dislike computers greatly before we purchased a Mac. Now he sees the truth! :)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Fortunately, I'm not in the vast majority... that's never been one of my arguments...

And it's weird... for some reason, most PC people do seem to be able to argue better about which platform is the best. *insert joke about intelligence levels here* But what I really find hilarious is when someone trys to compare Macs and PC's, and automatically assumes that they're comparing OSX and Windows... they totally ignore hardware platforms, and alternative OS's like Linux.
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

Wow...I never realized the debate between Windows and Macs was so intense.... I barely knew anything about the two different systems until my roommate brought in her Mac. I've just always used Windows so I guess it's what I'm used to, but my roommate had grown up on Macs and told me some of the reasons they were so nice. So I wouldn't be opposed to learning how to use a Mac...they seem a lot more reliable and such....but I guess I just prefer Windows simply because that's what I'm used to and that's what most people and schools use, so it's more compatible if you need to send a paper to a teacher or something.
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

LizzieG wrote:If only I could remember those convincing arguments and win y'all over to PC's ;)
:rofl2: That was a joke, right? I've never know a Mac person to go to PC (that doesn't it hasn't happened), I have, on the other hand, known...*counts*....ummm, uh, *losses tracks because there are too many* well, a lot to switch to Mac. Even guys who were huge on PCs.
Homeward bound wrote:but I guess I just prefer Windows simply because that's what I'm used to and that's what most people and schools use, so it's more compatible if you need to send a paper to a teacher or something.
Alas, too many in this world are missing out because the stick with windows because it is, "what I've always used".

While in some cases it is true that macs and windows just aren't compatible microsoft does make Mircosoft Office for Mac so in that case you wouldn't have a problem. There's also MacLink Plus. I have one online class and my teacher can only open my document if I convert it on MacLink because they (stupid) *cough* computer system only opens files that it thinks are from window based computers...anyway, I'll shut up now. :-#

jim
Processing

Post by jim »

People will use what they are exposed to.

windows has the installed base because Microsoft licensed, Apple has no viruses nor is plagued by the problems windows users suffer with because they didn't license.

I'll still lean towards Macs as i do not game, can solve my own computer problems and want to think about what I am doing on the computer and not have to think on how to do it.
Free Comic emailed weekly!
Live DrawingCam! http://www.kidstimestudio.com/drawingcam