The Hunger Games

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

Now I really want to watch the movie for the review was really good.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

In regard to the Hunger Games, I had the first book on hold and wasn't home when it came in. My mom had already heard and seen a lot of stuff about the movie (It's all over practically every magazine cover at Wal-Mart... :P ), and so when she went to the library and saw it was in, she decided to read it. She told me that it was a good story, but she's not sure if she likes it because of all the violence and so she's going to talk to my Dad about it to decide whether or not I'm allowed to read it. :(

I really want to! :mad:

\:D/
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

~JCGJ~ wrote:I saw the movie, and I have to say, “The Hunger Games” exceeded my expectations.
I am going to attempt to give answers to your list, without ruining the movie.

The Capital (and the people) will be too over the top and look fake and cheap.
Yes, but no. The people were REALLY covered in makeup, and really weird clothing and hairstyles, but that's kind of the point. The people of the capitol are gluttons, just doing what they please. And as for the Capital itself, the did a pretty good job with it. Not exactly how I imagined it, but still pretty good.

The fighting will look cheesy. Nope. The fighting was quite good, not to overdramatic, but still INTENSE.

There won't be enough action. The book didn't have a lot of fighting, which concerns me for the movie. The movie is going to have to have more fighting to keep it intense...and not just a bunch of running around. There was actually ALOT of action. Once the Games started, I was at the edge of my seat the entire time. AND I'm pretty sure they didn't add any fight scenes that were not in the book. They did a great job with that.

It will be too romanticized. Though, there is romance in it, they need to do it just right. And I don't think they will.
Again, they did a good job with it. They didn't play it up too much, and there was NO SEX. That's right, NONE. The only "nudity" in it is when Katniss takes a bath, and it wasn't even that suggestive. GO FIGURE.

The characters will look too perfect. I'm afraid that all the girls will look like supermodels. :roll: I don't mind a few, but c'mon, I don't want this to be another Twilight. :blah: Ok, this one, I have to give to you. :boohoo: I personally don't think Katniss had enough scrapes and bruises on her, and she was fairly clean throughout. Peeta on the other hand... The did a GOOD job with making his look all bruised and dirty. BUT. IT WAS NOT "JUST ANOTHER TWILIGHT!!"

It will look too clean. I don't mean violence wise. I mean, even though the characters are dirty, they will still look clean/perfect. This ties in with the last one.

It will have language that is unnecessary. I'm hoping it won't though. :- AHA! There were only THREE (Yes, 3. Count em. 1, 2 ,3.) cuss words in the entire 2 hour, 22 minute movie. AND It was just the D word twice, and the H word once. I have to say, I was a little worried in the beginning, because one of the first thing Katniss says is the “D” word, but my worries were resolved.

It will be predictable. Meaning, predictable for the people who do not know the story. Well, that depends. Do you think the book was predictable? If not, than the movie will be just the same way, because IT FOLLOWED THE STORY ALMOST (note the "ALMOST") EXACTLY! FINALLY THEY GET IT RIGHT!!

It will look all around cheesy and fake. Like Terra Nova. >_> ............. You did NOT just call Terra Nova "cheesy" and "fake." :evil: :evil: :evil:

:D :D :D

Actually, Terra Nova was pretty cheesy, but that's what made it good. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
But, no. The Hunger Games was actually not that cheesy, and and it was almost believable. (That is, if you didn't think the book was too cheesy, or fake)

So, in terms of sex, language, violence, cheesyness, "cleaness," following of the original storyline etc. I give it an 8.95 out of 10.
(I usually give most movies, especially those that were originally books, a 7 or below.)

GREAT JOB HOLLYWOOD!! YOU FINALLY MADE SOMETHING GOOD FOR ONCE!!! I CONGRADULATE YOU!!
Like I said, I hope they well prove me wrong, but I will still have to see it for myself.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Lee wrote:In regard to the Hunger Games, I had the first book on hold and wasn't home when it came in. My mom had already heard and seen a lot of stuff about the movie (It's all over practically every magazine cover at Wal-Mart... :P ), and so when she went to the library and saw it was in, she decided to read it. She told me that it was a good story, but she's not sure if she likes it because of all the violence and so she's going to talk to my Dad about it to decide whether or not I'm allowed to read it. :(

There's some really good stuff, but if you can't, you're not necessarily missing too much. :anxious:

Effie, Haymitch, Rue, and Cinna were amazing. The parade costumes were better than expected, and I guess the ending was good. The middle...o.O so this is what the 21st century watches for entertainment? I'm considering going back to being an ignorant homeschooler. :P

At least they got the watchers to see how utterly wrong it was, but some of the middle scenes were just sickening. :/

Obviously the whole world should just go see Star Wars. :noway:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Lee wrote:In regard to the Hunger Games, I had the first book on hold and wasn't home when it came in. My mom had already heard and seen a lot of stuff about the movie (It's all over practically every magazine cover at Wal-Mart... :P ), and so when she went to the library and saw it was in, she decided to read it. She told me that it was a good story, but she's not sure if she likes it because of all the violence and so she's going to talk to my Dad about it to decide whether or not I'm allowed to read it. :(

We honestly don't care whether you read it or not. I don't mean that in a mean way. I mean, no one is going to think any less of you if you're parents don't allow to read the series. ;) Plus, frankly, it doesn't really add anything to your life. But then again, lots of stuff adds nothing to our life....

Personally, I don't even read modern literature that much anymore, because (it sucks and) there's just so much good classic literature that would take a lifetime to read. But the sad thing is, no one is hyped about, say, The Great Gatsby. :(
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

The Kings Daughter wrote:The middle...o.O so this is what the 21st century watches for entertainment? I'm considering going back to being an ignorant homeschooler. :P

At least they got the watchers to see how utterly wrong it was, but some of the middle scenes were just sickening. :/
Well, you have to understand, it is an adaptation of a book whose raison d'etre is (in part) "disturbing, sickening violence"...
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Pip wrote:

We honestly don't care whether you read it or not. I don't mean that in a mean way. I mean, no one is going to think any less of you if you're parents don't allow to read the series. ;) Plus, frankly, it doesn't really add anything to your life. But then again, lots of stuff adds nothing to our life....

Personally, I don't even read modern literature that much anymore, because (it sucks and) there's just so much good classic literature that would take a lifetime to read. But the sad thing is, no one is hyped about, say, The Great Gatsby. :(
And far too many people talk only about modern CCM bands and not, say, Moonlight Sonata \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

The Kings Daughter wrote:Obviously the whole world should just go see Star Wars. :noway:
:inlove:

You could come to the west and join me for Episode 3 in 3D.

...when it comes out :p
*insert provocative quote here*
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Katniss wrote:
The Kings Daughter wrote:Obviously the whole world should just go see Star Wars. :noway:
:inlove:

You could come to the west and join me for Episode 3 in 3D.

...when it comes out :p
That would be like, the best day of my life. :inlove:

Have you seen HG yet? :)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I am seeing it in roughly...

*looks at clock*

Four hours \:D/ I can't wait.
*insert provocative quote here*
God's Daughter
Not Implemented

Post by God's Daughter »

I just came to say: I'M READING THE HUNGER GAMES!

My mom just finished the first book yesterday and told it was fine to read, so I started last night and am around chapter 11. It's so awesome! \:D/
Image]
My Online Family! \:D/
Sky, is my twin. ^_^
Lee, is my cousin.
I'm KF's awesome sister and he's my equally awesome brother!
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Of course it is :p

Do you like Peeta? \:D/

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

of course well not you peeta
i read the hunger games before my parents
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
God's Daughter
Not Implemented

Post by God's Daughter »

Peeta wrote:Of course it is :p

Do you like Peeta? \:D/

Yes! xD Meaning Peeta in the book, not you. ;)

conquestor wrote:i read the hunger games before my parents
My mom refused to let me do that. She wasn't going to let me read it, then I convinced her in reading it first. So she read it and saw nothing wrong with it! \:D/
Image]
Sky, is my twin. ^_^
Lee, is my cousin.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

^my dad doesn't read many (fiction) books, and I know my mom wouldn't like it, but they were both okay with me and my sister reading it so long as there was nothing too horrible in them \:D/ (plus my sister and me aren't kids anymore, so if they did have a problem they couldn't do much to stop us reading them or watching the movies.)
Last edited by Shennifer on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Till the end of the line.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

They could always disown you :x

That was a joke. A lame one.

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

~JCGJ~ wrote:
The only "nudity" in it is when Katniss takes a bath, and it wasn't even that suggestive. GO FIGURE.
I would just like to point out the fact that there's wasn't any nudity then, either. >_>
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

American Eagle wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:
The only "nudity" in it is when Katniss takes a bath, and it wasn't even that suggestive. GO FIGURE.
I would just like to point out the fact that there's wasn't any nudity then, either. >_>
"God looks at the heart?" anyone?

I can't remember the first book now. :( I guess I'll have to read it again.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
God's Daughter
Not Implemented

Post by God's Daughter »

Just finished the first book...How am I suppose to wait for my mom to finish the second one? :/ Thankfully my mom is a fast reader.
Image]
Sky, is my twin. ^_^
Lee, is my cousin.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

If your mom thought the first was fine, she will most likely let you read the second one, probably the third one, although IMO it was the most violent of the series.