Mac vs. PC

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Do you like the Mac or the PC?

Mac
43%
PC
57%

Total votes: 51

Chandler

Post by Chandler »

:lol: I had no idea that's why you decided to try out the Mac!

It is interesting that you use the PC for media purposes since that's what the Mac is normally touted as being good for. Unless you mean that you use the PC for computer games... in which case I agree with you. :-
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

I always heard that PC was good for games and Macs were for media, too... :-k
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Pseudonym wrote:I always heard that PC was good for games and Macs were for media, too... :-k
Part of the reason PC's are better for games is that most games are PC only. Some games come out on Mac eventually... but most people don't want to wait.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I do pretty much the same thing as coralfish... A pc desktop and a mac laptop.

I now dual-boot XP so there's pretty much no reason to use my desktop PC except to use its superior graphics card.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

Linux=Built by the community for the community ;).
Now lets see, which would be the better at support, developement, upgrades, and an all around better experience:

A company, offering it's products for an insane price, just to be able to use technology. That is exactly what they are selling. The opportunty to be involved in the technology world.

Or a community based Operating system, Designed with you in mind, not dollars, Asking nothing in return, granting you access to the world of technology without charging you a cent, an environment, YOU can change, legally, and all without a price.

What seperates mac and pc from linux, aside from the obvious internal reasons? Mac and Pc both, are selling you the opportunity to connect to other people and services. Linux isn't. Thats like selling a person the sidewalk to go see your grandma :p.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Chandler wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:I always heard that PC was good for games and Macs were for media, too... :-k
Part of the reason PC's are better for games is that most games are PC only. Some games come out on Mac eventually... but most people don't want to wait.
Exactly. Though, I don't really have much time to game these days, I do tend to use the PC for movies and music if only because it has a larger screen and is hooked up to the home theatre-type speakers.

I wouldn't argue though, if someone wanted to tell me that the Mac has better capability for that as well.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Ryan wrote:Linux=Built by the community for the community ;).
Now lets see, which would be the better at support, developement, upgrades, and an all around better experience:

A company, offering it's products for an insane price, just to be able to use technology. That is exactly what they are selling. The opportunty to be involved in the technology world.

Or a community based Operating system, Designed with you in mind, not dollars, Asking nothing in return, granting you access to the world of technology without charging you a cent, an environment, YOU can change, legally, and all without a price.

What seperates mac and pc from linux, aside from the obvious internal reasons? Mac and Pc both, are selling you the opportunity to connect to other people and services. Linux isn't. Thats like selling a person the sidewalk to go see your grandma :p.

You are really stuck on Linux, aren't you? :anxious:

Get off your soap box!! :x

;)
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

Christina wrote:
Ryan wrote:Linux=Built by the community for the community ;).

You are really stuck on Linux, aren't you? :anxious:

Get off your soap box!! :x

;)
She's Right! :soapbox:
I really dont even know what a linux is but sounds like its pc related...:noway:
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

I don't think it's really PC related... :anxious:
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

Well it is certianly not Mac related... :noway: :noway: :noway:
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

RioHood wrote:Well it is certianly not Mac related... :noway: :noway: :noway:
Actually, both Linux and Mac OSx are based on Unix...so...technically, it is more Mac related than PC related :anxious:
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

RioHood wrote:Well it is certianly not Mac related... :noway: :noway: :noway:
Like Christina said, you are wrong ;). It is certainly not PC related. In 1991 Linux torvalds released the first linux kernel. Go to wikipedia to find out more, but OS X is based off of the unix shell, and linux is too. Although Microsoft went and did it's own thing, Linux and Mac's are close as far as origin. The first Unix operating system was developed in 1969 by AT&T labs, and as you can guess, Mac branched from that, as well as linux.

Infact if you go do a google image search for ubuntu, and OS X tiger, they are very similiar in appearence. But that is just one distribution ;).
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

Pc Lovers eat this!
National treasure 2 features 2 black PowerMacs and an iPod! WOOT!
The all smart and cute Reily is the Mac user..... He just won my heart! :inlove: :inlove:
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

RioHood wrote:Pc Lovers eat this!
National treasure 2 features 2 black PowerMacs and an iPod! WOOT!
The all smart and cute Reily is the Mac user..... He just won my heart! :inlove: :inlove:
Not to burst your bubble but he used an HP in the first one ;) Not that I support windows or anything. :)
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

He converted and has seen the light from above! :angelfly:

And you were trying to burst my bubble! :x

;)
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

So you base your technological preference on nothing more than "This semi-famous person uses this, so I must to" whim? I haven't even heard you give one ounce of real information. And mainly contradicted yourself Wink. I don't care who uses a mac, I have enough sense to know that, even if Bill gates converted to Mac OS X, it wouldn't effect my opinion on whether or not how stable, secure, or how much it takes on resources, what about how much it automates? You want complete control of your system? I do. And neither mac or windows grants me that. They hide behind software licenses, cower under viruses, and do everything for me. There is no real system control.

I can control everything from how my kernel boots, what it loads, How my operating system runs, what it will run, I can edit anything on the system that I want to, without worrying about doing something illegal. I can update EVERY piece of software I have in one swift command, and not have to worry about updating, I don't fret over viruses, I don't have to worry about anti virus, firewalls, windows networking, Itunes, and everything else running in the background, I don't have to worry about downloading some piece of software illegally because I can't afford it, because every piece of software I use is open source, which means I can modify the code, change it to however I want, all for free, without voiding anything.

Tell me that Vista and Leopard can do that ;).
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I can say from personal experience that I have been running Macs since 1999 and have never, ever had a virus. I have been running my MacBook since November of last year and have never had a virus and I am not running Leopard on any of my Macs I am still running Tiger. My brother has been using Macs longer than I have, he is running Leopard and has never had any viruses either. So, there are two Mac users that contradict your statement about viruses.;)
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

Laurie wrote:I can say from personal experience that I have been running Macs since 1999 and have never, ever had a virus. I have been running my MacBook since November of last year and have never had a virus and I am not running Leopard on any of my Macs I am still running Tiger. My brother has been using Macs longer than I have, he is running Leopard and has never had any viruses either. So, there are two Mac users that contradict your statement about viruses.;)
I didn't say that everyone gets viruses with macs. That isn't the case. But there are a significantly larger amount of "viruses" for mac and windows than there are for linux. All of my family has run windows since...forever. And each of them have had their run ins with viruses. And I have heard cases with mac users as well. But I don't hear them with linux. Not to say there are not any "viruses", but there are less of them.

Will you violate a law if you install Mac OS X onto a machine with windows hardware, like a desktop you built? Even if you have a legal OS X image you bought? Yes.

Just a good example, of how apple designers cower behind licensing. They won't let you have their code, so you can modify it, and they are too interested in money.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

I am aware that there are viruses for linux.
Ryan wrote:Not to say there are not any "viruses", but there are less of them.
But how many viruses in retrospect of windows+mac vs. Linux?

http://www.macvirus.org/database

There aren't that many for Mac OS X, which is very commendable.