The Hunger Games

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I read the plugged in review lol...
Clearly they're bad. :shame:
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

:(

I suppose I shall go and sit in a corner and confess.

\:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

conquestor wrote:Me too and I haven't seen any gambling that I recall. And you haven't read them.
Nope, there was plenty of gambling.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Anna><> wrote:...violence and evil romance and kissing which should not be read about by anyone...
I see what you did there. (Barely.)

Since you brought it up, I do believe that desensitization to violence is a genuine concern... but I wouldn't put The Hunger Games forward as an example of it. It's supposed to be blunt and disturbing, and it is.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Anna><> wrote:I am never going to read the Hunger Games Books. They are Satanic and evil and all should be burned along with Harry Potter. There is tons of violence and evil romance and kissing which should not be read about by anyone. There is way too much gore and the desensitization of evil is a result of reading these books. There's tons of mythology, alcohol, and gambling. I don't think God would want anyone to read these terrible novels.
I completely agree. There was sooooo much mythology. Which is soooo evil. :noway:
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Anna><> wrote:I am never going to read the Hunger Games Books. They are Satanic and evil and all should be burned along with Harry Potter. There is tons of violence and evil romance and kissing which should not be read about by anyone. There is way too much gore and the desensitization of evil is a result of reading these books. There's tons of mythology, alcohol, and gambling. I don't think God would want anyone to read these terrible novels.
Anna><> wrote:I read the plugged in review lol...
No book should ever be burned and if you believe what you wrote, you are truly ignorant and incapable to think for yourself.

Everyone else: Yeah, I know what I wrote is harsh, but it is true.

The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

31899 wrote:
Anna><> wrote:I read the plugged in review lol...
No book should ever be burned and if you believe what you wrote, you are truly ignorant and incapable to think for yourself.

Everyone else: Yeah, I know what I wrote is harsh, but it is true.

Why yes, that does sound quite harsh. :p There are nicer ways to say what you just said. ;)

No book should ever be burned? Oops. :anxious: It fed our campfire really well last summer...

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

C'mon guys, this is Anna we're talking about here. ;)
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Pip wrote:C'mon guys, this is Anna we're talking about here. ;)
So it's okay to be 'rude' to Anna? Goodness, quite the gentlemen. \:D/

Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Hey, check out these fan-made videos! \:D/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_jw3z68TW0
Warning, this one contains violence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNk5zziqbtk
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

The Kings Daughter wrote:
No, what I meant was, she's quite obviously kidding. ;)
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Pip wrote:
Oh, what a relief. :D I can take your name out of my gentlemen-to-train book then. :yes:

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Pip wrote:
Oh, what a relief. :D I can take your name out of my gentlemen-to-train book then. :yes:
Thank you, m'lady. *bows*

Post by 31899 »

Oh, she was kidding. In that case I am sorry.

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Alas. Sarcasm is not what it once was.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Caswin wrote:
Anna><> wrote:...violence and evil romance and kissing which should not be read about by anyone...
I see what you did there. (Barely.)

Since you brought it up, I do believe that desensitization to violence is a genuine concern... but I wouldn't put The Hunger Games forward as an example of it. It's supposed to be blunt and disturbing, and it is.
It would also be fair to point out that they are trying to fight AGAINST the Capitol, the source of all the "evil" and violence.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Knight Fisher wrote:Alas. Sarcasm is not what it once was.
I'm not necessarily being sarcastic. I also believe that the Chronicles of Narnia are bad too... I figure if I'm not going to read Harry Potter I shouldn't read LOTR, The Chronicles of Narnia, or watch The Lion King. I think this book may fall into a category similar to those.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Okay... But what mythology by the way?
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Anna><> wrote:
Knight Fisher wrote:Alas. Sarcasm is not what it once was.
I'm not necessarily being sarcastic. I also believe that the Chronicles of Narnia are bad too... I figure if I'm not going to read Harry Potter I shouldn't read LOTR, The Chronicles of Narnia, or watch The Lion King. I think this book may fall into a category similar to those.
I thought that for a while, but for Narnia and LoTR, it doesn't bother me anymore because they're in a different world. So it makes sense that things are different. Although, I confess, LoTR magic still does make me uneasy at times.

And I think HG falls into a different category altogether though, it's not so much as 'myth' as it is more like 'dictatorship'. :)

Post by 31899 »

((Sorry to backseat mod, but maybe this thread should be split so it stays more on the topic of the Hunger Games and this rather interesting and civilised [aside from my rage comment [book burning makes me angry]] conversation can continue elsewhere?))

Pretty much all literature takes place in a different world. Many times that world resembles our world or is very similar to our world. I feel as people who treat books as if they occur in our universe are the ones who have the most problems with them.

Last edited by 31899 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.