Pride and Prejudice

Anyone else seen it, or am I the only Jane Austen fan?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It's okay, Carolita - you'll make it! We'll help you through this time of pain and anguish in your life! Consider the lilies of the field. ;)

Does this help at all, or just add to your pain? O:)

Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

I'll see it eventually...I think.....but I really love the old one best. I have to watch it like.....well, a lot of time each year. Perfect slumber party movie! \:D/

*Goes back to not being around till tomorrow*
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

I not a JA fan, but I am a Keira Knightley fan! :-

but I didn't see it. the movie not worth the admission price IMO. Maybe i'll c it wen it comes 2 dvd, but not likely.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Oh, what was I going to say?! *thinks* Oh yes! The dancing scenes, they were shot in such a way that I felt a bit sea-sick sometimes and I just wanted them to plant the camera, but mostly it just looked SOOO fun! [The dancing.]

Here's a picture i made of P&P:

“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
totustuus
Pilgrim

Post by totustuus »

The old six-hour one was way better. The book is really good, as you all know, and the six-hour movie took much of its dialogue directly from the book. I couldn't believe how they had Lady Catherine come in the middle of the night! Besides, they took out the best scences from the book.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Ooo, I like it, Jennifer! \:D/ You should use it as your desktop wallpaper or something!
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Ughhh! Pride and Prejudice is silly. :sick: :mad: :shocking: :hmph:
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

*tsks*

A Christian news magazine, WORLD, reviewed this movie and said something I loved:

This is no mere chick flick. Guys will like it too, if only to gaze upon the intensely beautiful Ms. Knightley. But men will especially appreciate the movie if they use it as a learning opportunity. They should ask themselves why women are nearly always Jane Austen fans. It is not a matter of sappy romance, since Miss Austen scorns it as much as anyone. Women resonate with her portrait of the strong, intelligent, and exquisitely feminine "lady." And they really resonate with a specific kind of masculine character: the forceful, honorable "gentleman" that 21st-century guys would do well to emulate.

http://www.worldmag.com/displayArticle.cfm?ID=11314
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Catspaw wrote:It's okay, Carolita - you'll make it! We'll help you through this time of pain and anguish in your life! Consider the lilies of the field. ;)

Does this help at all, or just add to your pain? O:)

Thank you. *sniffle* But it just adds to the pain....*grabs some more kleenex's*

*laughs at her own silly-ness* :p
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love the quote, Jennifer - all the guys insulting P&P would do well to read it thoroughly. ;)

Sorry, Carolita! :( *hands Carolita a new box of Kleenex* ;)
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

See, that picture is EXACTLY the same thing Regis and Rachael do, IN ENGLAND, outside, EXACTLY like that! The only, absolute only thing different about that picture is the people doing it.
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:*tsks*

A Christian news magazine, WORLD, reviewed this movie and said something I loved:

This is no mere chick flick. Guys will like it too, if only to gaze upon the intensely beautiful Ms. Knightley. But men will especially appreciate the movie if they use it as a learning opportunity. They should ask themselves why women are nearly always Jane Austen fans. It is not a matter of sappy romance, since Miss Austen scorns it as much as anyone. Women resonate with her portrait of the strong, intelligent, and exquisitely feminine "lady." And they really resonate with a specific kind of masculine character: the forceful, honorable "gentleman" that 21st-century guys would do well to emulate.

http://www.worldmag.com/displayArticle.cfm?ID=11314
I have no problem with the guys in the movie. \:D/ They are cool! But the girls.... :sick:
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Monday wrote:
Mandy Straussberg wrote:Ewww. Ewww. Ewww. Anything with the name "Keira Knightly" involved is repulsive to me.
I'm not the only one! Wow!
Ditto. I don't really like her much, either... (I have my reasons.) I'm not even sure what P & P is like, lol, I guess I'll find out when it gets popular around here... :anxious:

I was actually never fond of the book although I'd never picked it up really, since I used to be waaaay too much of a tomboy (honestly) . :)

It doesn't seem too bad, I just read the Plugged in Review. :) It would be interesting to watch it, I guess. I totally agree with that World review thing, it's not the sappy stuff, if you know what I mean.
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

what's wrong with KK?
Me
An original

Post by Me »

The biggest problem I have with her is that now that she's famous, she's being used in everthing. Kierra (sp?) overload.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

The problem I have with Keria Knightly is that her interpretation (and this has much to do with the director as anything) is not Lizzy from the books. In the scene after Mr. Collins proposes to Lizzy and Mr. Bennet says Lizzy must be a stranger to one of her parents According to the book
I understand that Mr. Collins has made you an offer of marriage. Is it not true?" Elizabeth replied that it was. "Very well-and this offer of marriage you have refused?"
"I have, sir."
"Very well. We now come to the point. Your mother insists upon your accepting it. Is it not so, Mrs. Bennet?"
"Yes, or I will never see her again.
"An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.

Elizabeth could not but smile at such a conclusion of such a beginning...
For starters in the book this took place in the library...in the house because it was a private family matter. In the movie it takes place outside for all the world to hear. That would not have happened.
Secondly Lizzy does not mouth off to her parents in the book like she does with her mother in the movie during this scene. That is a big Regency no no (and theortically is still the case today).
Thirdly and probably the most telling is that in the book Lizzy smiles because in a lot of ways her father has a way of putting things to her that are highly amusing. Lizzy was her fathers favourite daughter and by telling her that she doesn't have to marry Mr. Collins shows that very much...much to the disgust of Mrs. Bennet who only cares about getting her daughters married off. In the movie she hurries off with and thanks her father without the slightest trace of amusment in her voice. Lizzy is a study of human folly and loves to laugh at people (believe me this can be quite fun). I mean the original title of Pride and Prejudice, First Impressions, should be the most telling about what the movie should be about and I've not gathered that at all. Lizzy was bright and intellegent within the social structure of her time. If you're going to do a period movie do a period movie do not do a period movie that reflects 21st century values which is what this movie does.
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

i want to see pride and prejudice so bad! everyone that's seen it says it's good, and i saw the old one (it could use some work, though!). i just haven't had time, really.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Yes, I have to agree with DOT that Elizabeth was not my favorite part of the movie. Still I enjoyed the movie, because I went into it with the understanding that it would be different from the book.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

My sister went to see it last night... She said it was wonderful, and she cried her eyes out. :P

I have an even stronger urge to see it now... *twitch*

Sarah
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

dawningoftime wrote:The problem I have with Keria Knightly is that her interpretation (and this has much to do with the director as anything) is not Lizzy from the books.
That's a problem with the screenplay writer and alot of people behind the scenes then, I don't really see what Keira can do about it. She's in a scene where the lines tell her to yell at her mother, she does it. She's in a scene where she's outside instead of inside, she can't say, "This doesn't follow the book." I don't see what choice she has in the matter at all.