PHC - Questions Answered

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Parker Family wrote: 2. Pants - Why is your denomination against wearing short or woman wearing pants?
Repectfully, why can't people wear shorts or woman wear pants?
I'm guessing that's because the Bible says that women should not wear men's clothing and some people view pants as men's clothing.

Which actually isn't entirely true if you want to look at how the men dressed back when the Bible was written. Pants didn't even exist, me thinks :-

So, question. How would you go about witnissing to a young lady who keeps her hair chin length and always wears hoodies and jeans?
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

StrongNChrist wrote:
So, question. How would you go about witnissing to a young lady who keeps her hair chin length and always wears hoodies and jeans?
With an invitation to a make over party! \:D/

I would assume the actual answer is "The same as everyone else". The first priority would be to save their soul, then "By the way..."
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Joanne wrote:Do you have rules on what color, or styles of clothes you wear? Do you believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father and to heaven? Do you consider all scripture you be inspired by God and completely true with no mistakes? Do you believe in baptizing?
No, we don't have rules on colors. I would say that most styles are okay if they're modest (unless like Gothic or something) Yes, Jesus is the only way to heaven, and God's word is true, with no mistakes. And yes we do believe in baptizing, we had a baptizing service last year. :)

-- 25 Feb 2011 10:52 am --

Sorry I don't have time to answer all these q's right now, but I will as soon as I can. Maybe not until Sunday. :)

-- 25 Feb 2011 11:06 am --
The Top Crusader wrote:Do you believe in the Infancy Gospel of Thomas?! \:D/
The what?
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I think Top is just using his famous brand of humor. :D
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

StrongNChrist wrote:
Parker Family wrote: 2. Pants - Why is your denomination against wearing short or woman wearing pants?
I'm guessing that's because the Bible says that women should not wear men's clothing and some people view pants as men's clothing.

Which actually isn't entirely true if you want to look at how the men dressed back when the Bible was written. Pants didn't even exist, me thinks :-

True, I've always kind of wondered about how dresses became women's clothes and pants men's. Biblically, they wore robes...and different cultures over history have dressed differently...for example, some places in China would have women wearing lose pants while the men wore robes...so why does our western culture think robes are only for after showers and, at least in the past, view pants as only for men? Questions I may never know the answer to...but interesting nonetheless.

And out of curiosity...why is it wrong to trim your hair? I get the not-cutting, but trimming just keeps it neat and easier to manage...?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Peachey Keen wrote:I think Top is just using his famous brand of humor. :D
...I just wondered if they acknowledged that particular text. >_>
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

The Top Crusader wrote:
StrongNChrist wrote:
With an invitation to a make over party! \:D/

I would assume the actual answer is "The same as everyone else". The first priority would be to save their soul, then "By the way..."
Actually we wouldn't say anything about it. We'd accept them as they are and hope they get saved. Then they usually start asking questions about it.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

What if they don't ask questions about it?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
StrongNChrist wrote:

True, I've always kind of wondered about how dresses became women's clothes and pants men's. Biblically, they wore robes...and different cultures over history have dressed differently...for example, some places in China would have women wearing lose pants while the men wore robes...so why does our western culture think robes are only for after showers and, at least in the past, view pants as only for men? Questions I may never know the answer to...but interesting nonetheless.

And out of curiosity...why is it wrong to trim your hair? I get the not-cutting, but trimming just keeps it neat and easier to manage...?
Trimming is another way of cutting. :)

-- 27 Feb 2011 09:39 am --
StrongNChrist wrote:What if they don't ask questions about it?
Then that's okay. God will convict them when we wants to.

-- 27 Feb 2011 09:41 am --
Parker Family wrote:I don't mean to be difficult or rude when asking these questions, just curious about your denomination

1. Jewelry - Didn't the Israelites wear jewelry?
When the servant went to look for a wife for Isaac, he asked God to let the woman give him and his camals water to drink. When Rebecca did so, he gave her some bracelets & jewelry and told her his reason for coming.

2. Pants - Why is your denomination against wearing short or woman wearing pants?

3. Tribulation - Does your denomintaion believe in the Great Tribulation?
The AntiChirst, the Rapture, and stuff like that
Yeah we do believe in the rapture and stuff like that. The Bible says men are not to wear women's clothes and vice versa. And to answer the first question, God hadn't convicted them of it, and I will mention that they were not allowed to do some stuff that we are allowed to do today (e.g. eat pork) :)
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

So are you saying trimming is wrong?
And what's your opinion on beards?

And why do you guys believe that pants are men's clothing?
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I don't understand the thing about not cutting or trimming hair - there's nothing in the Bible that says anything about that, except when Jews took a Nazarite vow. Right? Yes, women's long hair is given as a covering, but you can have long hair and still regularly trim it. My hair is long - down to my shoulder blades. But I keep the ends trimmed to keep my hair healthy. :-k Nowhere is just a trim forbidden...
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

In fact the Bible mentions - about men's beards at least but I'm assuming that applies for hair too :- - that it's to be trimmed so to stay neat instead of looking uncared for.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

(I know Strong's third question a couple posts back isn't directed at me, but I don't think pants are exclusively guys' clothes anymore. It might have been unacceptable a couple hundred years ago, so girls should have worn dresses, but these days--at least in our culture--a woman can wear pants without anyone calling her moral integrity into question. But that's just my opinion.)

Not trying to rock the boat here, but if you don't believe in speaking in tongues what do you think of people who do speak in tongues? And you say the Holy Spirit will convict people about their way of dressing, etc., but what about people who walk close to God but still wear jewelry, shorts, etc.? What are the benefits of abiding by the rules of your denomination over other denominations? Do you have any rules regarding praise and worship?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

StrongNChrist wrote:So are you saying trimming is wrong?
And what's your opinion on beards?

And why do you guys believe that pants are men's clothing?
I know of Godly people people who trim their hair. (e.g. the Duggars http://www.duggarfamily.com/) But we stay away from it. We don't think there's anything wrong with beards, if that's what you mean. And about the pants issue, pants have always been considered men's clothing. That's why the women don't wear them. :)

-- 28 Feb 2011 03:23 pm --
Laura Ingalls wrote:I don't understand the thing about not cutting or trimming hair - there's nothing in the Bible that says anything about that, except when Jews took a Nazarite vow. Right? Yes, women's long hair is given as a covering, but you can have long hair and still regularly trim it. My hair is long - down to my shoulder blades. But I keep the ends trimmed to keep my hair healthy. :-k Nowhere is just a trim forbidden...
You don't have to trim your hair to keep it healthy, though, so we don't see the point in going against our convictions. :?

-- 28 Feb 2011 03:32 pm --
Amethystic wrote:(I know Strong's third question a couple posts back isn't directed at me, but I don't think pants are exclusively guys' clothes anymore. It might have been unacceptable a couple hundred years ago, so girls should have worn dresses, but these days--at least in our culture--a woman can wear pants without anyone calling her moral integrity into question. But that's just my opinion.)

Not trying to rock the boat here, but if you don't believe in speaking in tongues what do you think of people who do speak in tongues? And you say the Holy Spirit will convict people about their way of dressing, etc., but what about people who walk close to God but still wear jewelry, shorts, etc.? What are the benefits of abiding by the rules of your denomination over other denominations? Do you have any rules regarding praise and worship?
We're not calling anyone's moral integrity into question. But pants are generally more revealing than skirts, and they have always been considered men's clothing. That's why they don't wear them.

1. I chat with someone who does believe in speaking in tongues, I'm not going to try to get her to stop doing it, that's what she believes god wants us to do, but we just believe differently. 2. I'm sure there are Godly people who wear jewelry. I want to make sure everybody understand's this: we do not condemn people just because they don't believe in the same standards that we do. As long as they're modest, and walking in the light that they know, then we're not going to say anything to them. 3. The benefits are knowing that God is pleased with you, and giving a clear Christian testimony to the world. I am not embarrassed of our standards in the least. People may think we're weird, and that we're too legalistic, but we're really not. It's not too many rules, ect. :) 4. You'll have to be more specific. We don't believe in dance teams or contemporary music (which is another topic that people may wonder about). Is that what you mean?
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Right. :-k

1. But what about the people who do speak in tongues? If they're not actually filled with the Holy Spirit, what are they doing?
2. Yeah, but by your logic, if someone's completely godly and righteous, wouldn't they share the same convictions you do?
3. But are you living a testimony, or alienating people with your behavior? (I swear, I'm not trying to kick up dirt, I'm just curious about your opinion. :anxious: )
4. Are there certain songs, instruments, etc. you aren't allowed to use? What standards does a song have to meet for it to be allowed in church? And do you listen to different music outside of church, or do you maintain the same musical standards in and out of church?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Amethystic wrote:Right. :-k

1. But what about the people who do speak in tongues? If they're not actually filled with the Holy Spirit, what are they doing?
2. Yeah, but by your logic, if someone's completely godly and righteous, wouldn't they share the same convictions you do?
3. But are you living a testimony, or alienating people with your behavior? (I swear, I'm not trying to kick up dirt, I'm just curious about your opinion. :anxious: )
4. Are there certain songs, instruments, etc. you aren't allowed to use? What standards does a song have to meet for it to be allowed in church? And do you listen to different music outside of church, or do you maintain the same musical standards in and out of church?
1. Hmmm...Interesting question. Perhaps they're creating a feeling of excitement, and attributing to God. I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm really not sure, what the right answer to this question would be. :-k
2. Not necessarily. That's not what I believe at all. See, all the Churches used to be like us. But people wanted to be worldly, so the churches split. And now years later, it's normal for the church to do cut their hair, ect. So most people don't think twice about wearing pants, ect. It's become normal. We just don't believe that it's right for us, or people who believe the same way, but just aren't willing.
3 We're not alienating anyone. I don't think you guys understand. When people come to our church, we don't tell them they shouldn't wear pants, cut their hair, ect. We let God convict them of it, and if he doesn't then so be it. It's none of our business. This is the way we live. I am simply telling everybody what we believe, because I don't want them to be confused about us.
4. We have traditional style music (piano, organ, trumpets, flutes, guitars) We don't believe in CCM (well, my family doesn't. Some do and some don't.) We sing mostly hymns, and some choruses (Because He Lives, ect.) We listen to music that we wouldn't play in church. We wouldn't play it because either the artists don't hold our same standards, or because some people might consider it too "wild." Hope that answers your questions! :)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:I don't understand the thing about not cutting or trimming hair - there's nothing in the Bible that says anything about that, except when Jews took a Nazarite vow. Right? Yes, women's long hair is given as a covering, but you can have long hair and still regularly trim it. My hair is long - down to my shoulder blades. But I keep the ends trimmed to keep my hair healthy. :-k Nowhere is just a trim forbidden...
You don't have to trim your hair to keep it healthy, though, so we don't see the point in going against our convictions. :?
I'm not saying that you should, if you see cutting hair as being wrong. :) I suppose I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from. You say you think cutting hair is wrong - why? Where in Scripture do you see the principles behind that? I'm genuinely curious and am not trying to attack your beliefs.

The only reason I see some people advancing for not cutting women's hair is that it's given to her as a covering and should be long etc. I don't dispute those verses, just the conclusion of no cutting of it at all. Long is long, right? Nowhere does it say not to cut...just that women should have long hair, which plenty of women do who still trim their hair.
My question to you is - is that why you don't think cutting hair is right? Because of the long hair issue? Or something else? :-k
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I meant do you believe that men shouldn't have beards since the Bible mentioned somewhere that men shouldn't cut their beards besides trimming it to keep it neat looking.

And just for the record, not to go against your convictions or anything, but having spoken to someone who knows about this some people actually can't get away without trimming their hair or else they will get split ends and have unhealthy hair. Others can though \:D/

And just because I'm curious....If pants are wrong because they're more revealing, why is it okay for men to wear them?
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

StrongNChrist wrote:And just because I'm curious....If pants are wrong because they're more revealing, why is it okay for men to wear them?
If you do not already know the answer to that question... wow, I guess you've never been a guy. :anxious:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

American Eagle wrote:
StrongNChrist wrote:And just because I'm curious....If pants are wrong because they're more revealing, why is it okay for men to wear them?
If you do not already know the answer to that question... wow, I guess you've never been a guy. :anxious:
American Eagle makes a very good point. I don't want to get into this topic, and I think it's pretty obvious.

-- 28 Feb 2011 06:34 pm --
Laura Ingalls wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:
I'm not saying that you should, if you see cutting hair as being wrong. :) I suppose I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from. You say you think cutting hair is wrong - why? Where in Scripture do you see the principles behind that? I'm genuinely curious and am not trying to attack your beliefs.

The only reason I see some people advancing for not cutting women's hair is that it's given to her as a covering and should be long etc. I don't dispute those verses, just the conclusion of no cutting of it at all. Long is long, right? Nowhere does it say not to cut...just that women should have long hair, which plenty of women do who still trim their hair.
My question to you is - is that why you don't think cutting hair is right? Because of the long hair issue? Or something else? :-k
I think there's a verse in the Bible about women not touching their hair (in other words, not cutting it) If I can find it, I'll tell you.