Twilight: Love Story or Occultic Horror Flick?

Discuss the books that have taken even second-grade girls by storm

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

One of my teammates' parent said something about "giving is better than receiving", and they aren't Christians. Never had anything to do with it, I don't think. \:D/ Just saying.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

My sister is a big fan of Twilight (and Harry Potter). She's always telling me, "Read them! They're so great!" Um, sorry, I'm not a teenage girl and I don't want to waste my time reading literary garbage. But, she and I disagree on a lot of things, and she always seems to "win" our arguments by saying something about how I'm too picky.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Boswell wrote:I've never tried reading them, because, well...because I'm not an adolescent girl.
I have to poke one hole in that stereotype, only because I first heard of Twilight through an article in the local paper about how Twilight, though intended for teen girls, was also appearing to be very popular with middle aged women.

.......not sure where to go with that, but there it is.

Personally, I think it's stupid. And I can't understand what the big deal is.

Especially the vampire part. The only vampire movie I've seen all the way through was Fright Night, and it was just weird. And stupid.

It's like combining concepts from Fright Night with chick flicks. Needless to say, it holds no appeal to me. It can stay popular for however long it takes me to sell through some Twilight candy at work (-_-') and then, for all I care, it can travel the road most fads wind up taking.

edit--ok, just read Tiger's synopsis of the series. I'll pass.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

As I said earlier (and as my synopsis performs a proverbial eardrum-shattering shriek), I agree on the stupid part. And forget the occultic and against-God's-laws parts--the writing is just appalling. It's practically a fanfiction by Breaking Dawn. I've never read past the first book, but I've read the summaries and I have friends who even brought the books to CHURCH. I've seen and heard all I need to.

And I read an interview with Robert Pattinson online--can't remember the site--but he recalled girls drawing red dots on their necks and saying, "We drew these for you," and he called it weird. He also calls Stephenie Meyer "mad...she's in love with her own creation." He and I can also agree on another thing--he mentions it to be quite strange that the whole origin of Twilight was Meyer saying, "Oh, I had this dream about this really sexy guy!"

I think we all have to wonder if there's something wrong upstairs with the woman...
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

As an adult firmly grounded in my faith and hopefully a realistic idea of what a Christian relationship should look like, I can read the books without fear of falling into the poop it teaches. A middle-school kid and some highschool kids though, maybe not. I wouldn't let my daughters read it alone...

I thought they weren't written very well, definitely not as well as the HP series, and the actress that plays Belle is nothing short of awful. That said, I'm still going to see the movie when it comes out hahah :p
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
NateMaxwell
My posts are revolutionary

Post by NateMaxwell »

*Getting back on Topic* Twilight is very dark and sometimes disturbing. Most girls only like the movie because of the guy who plays Edward Cullen
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

And coming from a teenage girl, Robert Pattinson is not cute at all. So I don't know how any girl could like him. :noway:

Everything that revolves around Twilight revolves around stupidity, if you ask me. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I've seen cute pics of him, but in Twilight he's only cute depending on the shot or the scene.

Till the end of the line.
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

Kitty Bennet wrote:And coming from a teenage girl, Robert Pattinson is not cute at all. So I don't know how any girl could like him. :noway:

Everything that revolves around Twilight revolves around stupidity, if you ask me. \:D/
Just remember, beauty is different from person to person. So just cause you or 50 other people dont think he's cute doesent mean that x amount of people agree with you.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Well, he's not. :noway: Cute is Ronaldo, or Borini. No one has any taste these days. :(

Still, what do I care? I get to laugh when girls obsess over him. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
Danae
Gold Member

Post by Danae »

I like the title of this. :]

I actually read the first three books and fell in love with them. Edward is the dream guy, vampire or not. It gave me the butterflies on almost every page and I read a book a night. They were crazy addicting. And I would have finished the series.

BUT.

As I'm reading these books, I kept coming across all these articles and talk shows all about the evil-ness of them and I felt so convicted... I gave the books back to my friend who had lent them to me and explained to her why I quit reading them. I just couldn't believe how blind I was to all the contradictory stuff (with scripture from the Bible, I mean) in these books because the romance was so... Addicting? It was what every girl would dream of, I'd say. Well, obviously, since every girl who reads them seems to want to marry him!

I honestly cannot remember everything about the books that I disagreed on, but the main is, obviously, that vampires EAT peoples blood... So, there we are already contradicting scripture.

But yes, I don't agree with the books and wonder why a mother would write such things, but I can see how girls (and some guys, even) would get addicted and fall in love with these books! I'm not gonna say it's totally retarded and not understandable, because it is understandable! But I think we need to get past our pleasing the flesh and start worrying about pleasing Jesus Christ. And I think one of the biggest areas that effects that view is the TV/movies we watch, books we read, etc.

So yes, that's how I feel. :]
-Danae
NateMaxwell

Post by NateMaxwell »

^
|
|
|
|

I agree completely
TigerintheShadows

It's not even just the romance junk either; the series teaches a very unbiblical attitude towards parents. Bella loves them both, but they appear really out of touch with what goes on in her life. Edward sneaks into her bedroom at night to either watch her sleep or sleep next to her and when Bella finds out, she lies to her father about it.

The whole thing ends up in horror and the occult when Bella dies giving birth to a half-human-half vampire (which tears its way out of her stomach with hemhorraging) and is transformed into a vampire in a very disturbing scene (why do you think not that many middle schools or even high schools have Breaking Dawn in their collection?).
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
NateMaxwell

Post by NateMaxwell »

Yet 2nd graders read it...
TigerintheShadows

Nate, welcome to the South.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Robert isn't cute as it is, and that other guy... :noway: (nothing against him personally, I just wouldn't fall madly in love with either of them. ;) )
Love you always, SnC
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Chandlah wrote:Image
They're wearing the same clothes and have basically the same hair, but... they really don't look at all alike.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

wow. just...wow.

Till the end of the line.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Pseudonym wrote:They're wearing the same clothes and have basically the same hair, but... they really don't look at all alike.
It's his stunt double. ;) They don't have to look very much alike, just have to be generally the same build and height and dress the same.