What classes are you taking this year?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I am taking

English
Social
Math
Science
Fashion
Spanish
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Symphonic Band (the middle of 3 bands- 3rd chair of 7 T-bones)
Honors Spanish 3
World Geography (Wow, I could've taught that class when I was 4 :- )
Chemistry
English 10
Algebra 2
Cross Training
Jugglah wrote:Choir
Christian Worldvew
Concepts of Physical Fitness
Foundations for Christian Life
Freshman English 1
Golf (potentially)
History of Westerm Civ 1
Aren't you studying like... books ...or something? :anxious:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Symphonic Band (the middle of 3 bands- 3rd chair of 7 T-bones)
Honors Spanish 3
World Geography (Wow, I could've taught that class when I was 4 :- )
Chemistry
English 10
Algebra 2
Cross Training
Jugglah wrote:Choir
Christian Worldvew
Foundations for Christian Life
Freshman English 1
Golf (potentially)
History of Westerm Civ 1
Aren't you studying like... books ...or something? :anxious:
You mean because I'm an English major? You do know that even Math majors have to study books, right? But if that's what you're asking, I don't get to start on my major until probably junior year. Before then, I have to do General Education courses, as does everybody else.
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Jugglah wrote:You mean because I'm an English major? You do know that even Math majors have to study books, right? But if that's what you're asking, I don't get to start on my major until probably junior year. Before then, I have to do General Education courses, as does everybody else.
Really? Two years before you even take one english class? :-s That stinks.

I want to go to a school with no GenEds. :yes:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Jugglah wrote:You mean because I'm an English major? You do know that even Math majors have to study books, right? But if that's what you're asking, I don't get to start on my major until probably junior year. Before then, I have to do General Education courses, as does everybody else.
Really? Two years before you even take one english class? :-s That stinks.

I want to go to a school with no GenEds. :yes:
English Major does not mean she'll not take a English class until two years later. There is General stuff EVERY college student must take. You won't find a school that doesn't have one if you want a Bachelor's degree or higher. She'll take English classes, but the classes required to get her major will be more advanced than the everyday English every student must take.

If you can see by her list, she is taking an English class. She must be going to a christian school cause of the Christian Life class that is required. PE is required for GenEds... Golf would be PE, in essence, but... depends on the school. And she is taking a history class.

Interesting how you're not very read up on this KBT... no offense. But regardless of what school you go to, Generel Education is required to get a degree... or "do you want fries with that" will probably be the standard of your job.... (no offense, honest)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I'm taking...lets see....

Algebra
French 1
English 1101
Intro To IT
Phys ED

*sigh* I hate having to be a freshman....especially after an awesome year of Seniority last year. ;)
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

No, no. I understand the idea. I just thought she was doing some kind of librarian studies or something, as opposed to a standard english major, so I was curious as to why she wasn't taking anything special because in most college/university programs, you take at least one course that's part of your major each semester. (at least the ones I'm familiar with) But, I was just curious. I don't even know (err, remember, I guess) where she's going, so I have no idea.

And, there are some programs that don't require general education, but I looked up one I thought didn't and couldn't find anything and I can't remember any others. So, maybe that was actually a lie, but there are colleges that greatly reduce the number of required GenEds in order to focus on a specific field of study.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

King Butter Turtle wrote:No, no. I understand the idea. I just thought she was doing some kind of librarian studies or something, as opposed to a standard english major, so I was curious as to why she wasn't taking anything special because in most college/university programs, you take at least one course that's part of your major each semester. (at least the ones I'm familiar with) But, I was just curious. I don't even know (err, remember, I guess) where she's going, so I have no idea.

And, there are some programs that don't require general education, but I looked up one I thought didn't and couldn't find anything and I can't remember any others. So, maybe that was actually a lie, but there are colleges that greatly reduce the number of required GenEds in order to focus on a specific field of study.
Well, depends on how much you need to graduate with the degree you want...

And from the experience my sister has had, you take classes when you can take them. My sister is taking a class this coming year (5 year Senior herself), that is a Freshman class basically. She couldn't do it till now. I've never heard of people having to take one course for your major every semester... (maybe cause WWU is on quarter system.. that might make more sense now that I think about it.)

Each school has different rules. Now, States require classes to get certified in this and that. Unless Schools are absolutely private (and you want to fork out all that money... knowing Private schools personally...), then they usually require general studies to graduate. Cause, you need a certain number of credits (like in HS), and you won't get there without general studies. Your major will only take up so much (and even your minor... if you have one.)

For me, I have to take a few general studies and a few science classes to get into the Nursing program. Once I'm in, the entire program for three years will focus on nursing. Nothing apart from that. But to get in, I have to have a few general courses. Like with getting into Medical School. Got to have certain classes to get in.

Though, if she was doing Librarian studies... I don't even know anything surrounding that... you'd have to take general studies... (like Jugglah is doing, cause for Librarian, you wouldn't be doing PE or Bible or even probably history for that matter) But since she's an English major, she'll do many English classes between now and graduating. Regardless of when she gets to take them.

Depends on the school and program, yes.. but most schools have that. Unless ultra private...
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Ok, you guys can stop talking about me in third-person...I can speak for myself. ;) Yeah, I see the whole cause of the misunderstanding now. There is no such thing as a bachelor's degree in Library Science. Only a Master's. So I'm going to Bryan College, a Christian college that only offers bachelor's degrees (and a Master's in Business, which I'm not doing). The only universities that offer Library Science degrees in my general area are state schools, and I didn't want to do that for my undergrad. I explain why in another thread that's floating around here somewhere. So I'll get a bachelor's degree in English, because that's what I enjoy, and it makes sense for going into Library Science later. But yes, for about the first two years, I'll do gen ed courses, and I really don't think there are any schools that don't make you do that (You can CLEP or get dual-enrollment credits from a community college, but that's another subject). If you really care to know, at my school everyone has to take:
Freshman English I & II
Contemporary Mathematics
4 Christian Life Formation Courses
Christian Worldview
Biblical Foundations
Pentateuch
New Testament Literature & Interpretation
History of Western Civilization I & II
General Psychology
Introduction to Communication
4 Foreign Language Courses
Introduction to Literature
Introduction to Fine Arts
Biology
Chemistry
3 Exercise and Health Science Activity Courses
That's 66 total semester hours, which will get me an Associate's Degree

THEN I get to start on the courses for my major:
World Literature I & II
American Literature I & II
Advanced Grammar
British Literature I & II
Shakespeare
Introduction to the Novel
History & Nature of English Language
Introduction of Literary Criticism
English Thesis
Lewis and Tolkein: Imaginative Apologists
Advanced Composition: Creative Nonfiction
That's 42 total semester hours, and then I'll have my Bachelor's Degree

Then I'll go to some other school for about 2 years and do who know what to get my Master's degree.

Welcome to college life! :D
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Financial Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, University Physics and Geo Calculus I.

my brain is going to snap in half
especially considering Univ Physics has three different class times on every day of the week totaling 5 hours, which while probably only average for most is a pretty huge attention-span stretch for me
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Ouch sonuna. That's quite a load.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I love my numbers. No subjectivity (lol art classes) and the only one with much in the way of 'any unpredictability whatsoever' is Physics due to lab hours.
...I have a peculiar ability to have experimental results come out horribly wrong, somehow.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Casey Doyle
Found

Post by Casey Doyle »

Anna><> wrote:I am taking

English
Social
Math
Science
Fashion
Spanish
You take fashion?
Merry Christmas!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

prestoncamden11 wrote:
Anna><> wrote:I am taking

English
Social
Math
Science
Fashion
Spanish
You take fashion?
It's probalby a Home Economics class. Then again, I could be wrong. In my school we have a class called Home Design. Its a Home Economics class like World Foods and... ELS... yuck... but, yeah. Some people take it cause its cool. And gets you credit.
Casey Doyle
Found

Post by Casey Doyle »

OOOH, I get it!!
Merry Christmas!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I'm pretty sure I'm done making schedule adjustments, so here goes...

History of England
The Contemporary World
Biography in History
Media and Society
Folk Dances
Advanced Creative Writing
Senior Seminar

Possible changes including adding voice lessons, and/or shifting things around so I can take Digital Video Editing. Either way, pretty nice set of classes this semester. Hopefully the senioritis will take at least a few weeks to set in. ;)
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

History major? (All those History classes... and Senior Seminar... my sister just went through them, basically... Senior Seminar was... quite a task.) Have fun. :)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:History major? (All those History classes... and Senior Seminar... my sister just went through them, basically... Senior Seminar was... quite a task.) Have fun. :)
Yeah, I've heard that Senior Seminar is needlessly time-consuming. :?

Yep, history major. I only have to take one more history class after this semester though! :D
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Only one more? Lucky! (I have no clue how many my sister has... she's a five year Senior though. Hmm... you two will probably graduate around the same time.

Yeah, needlessly time-consuming? If its the same at every school... research and find a REALLY good topic.... not TOO broad, but enough to get over 25 pages worth... (or even more I think...)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:Yeah, needlessly time-consuming? If its the same at every school... research and find a REALLY good topic.... not TOO broad, but enough to get over 25 pages worth... (or even more I think...)
*is terrified*

My Senior Sem is only a 1 credit hour class, so hopefully it won't be that intense for me! :mad: