Death

and how FOTF/AIO portrays it

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Shawndlay wrote:Child abduction and murder? That'll teach kids not to go over to ... people's houses. :anxious:
I dunno if they'd want to get into anything like it (but they've covered abortion and stuff before, so maybe they would...) but it actually might not be a bad idea to do one on online predators or things like that... of course they would do it in a vague enough way that parents wouldn't die but honestly I don't think its an awful idea...
Robyn Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Robyn Jacobs »

As a parent, I would feel more comfortable leaving some of these types of topics (online predators, abuse, etc) out of AIO. I would prefer that some of the more scary topics be left to the parent's to address with their kids. If anyone could address these types of topics in a non-controversial, yet tactful way, it is definitely the AIO writers.

As for the topic of death. I think it can always be used as a great opportunity for kids to understand the reality of it, but also see the hope of life with Christ after death.

As for an episode about such a primary charachter like Tom Riley dying, on a personal level, I would definitely be a basketcase listening to it. The other deaths on Odyssey have been more minor characters, so it is easier to swallow on the show. I have such an emotional connection to Tom in particular that I would feel like I was losing a good friend.

Would Tom's death be a good opportunity to teach listener's about the awesomeness of spending eternity with Christ? Absolutely! O:)
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Perhaps an episode about ...Wooton's death? Everybody seems to dislike him and wants to keep Whit.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

KODY 10K wrote:Perhaps an episode about ...Wooton's death? Everybody seems to dislike him and wants to keep Whit.
Tom would be better...
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

KODY 10K wrote:Perhaps an episode about ...Wooton's death? Everybody seems to dislike him and wants to keep Whit.
Of course - it's the most logical and sensible thing to do. :yes:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

*SCREECH* Traitor! :x
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

Robyn Jacobs wrote:As a parent, I would feel more comfortable leaving some of these types of topics (online predators, abuse, etc) out of AIO. I would prefer that some of the more scary topics be left to the parent's to address with their kids.
Yeah, I have to agree here.
KODY 10K wrote:Perhaps an episode about ...Wooton's death?
That would be rather... shocking.
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Oh man, I laughed out loud at the suggestion. It's true, Wooton has turned out to be a polarizing character, but this would never happen. My Take: Wooton's here for the long haul.
Robyn Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Robyn Jacobs »

I am definitely less attached to Wooton than I am Tom or Whit. He is more like a Harlow Doyle like character for me. He can be funny, but too much of him just gets annoying. I have a love/hate relationship with Wooton. I wouldn't be too sad if Bart Rathbone weren't around either. :-s
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Taq wrote:My Take: Wooton's here for the long haul.
Agreed. But at least reduce his role and actually have him learn about his own flaws or something.

And give Whit his rightful position! :king:
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

Robyn Jacobs wrote:[Wooton] is more like a Harlow Doyle like character for me.
Mmm, that's a good way of putting it.
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

There's an idea. And then, because Jess Harnell will have so much extra time for other shows, AFV can do a special of fans' reactions. You know all the buckets of tears, punching walls, screams, gasps, etc. \:D/
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
There's an idea. And then, because Jess Harnell will have so much extra time for other shows, AFV can do a special of fans' reactions. You know all the buckets of tears, punching walls, screams, gasps, etc. \:D/
I hope that Jess Harnell keeps working for AIO long after Wooton is gone. :noway:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah he is a lovely actor... I mean he was in TRANSFORMERS so that counts as something. \:D/
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

The Top Crusader wrote:Yeah he is a lovely actor... I mean he was in TRANSFORMERS so that counts as something. \:D/
I got to hear him and meet him in person so that counts for more. :noway:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I met Buff Bagwell at McDonald's that's even cooler! \:D/
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

If they got rid of Wooton I'd quit listening to AIO. Wooton is my favorite character.

I don't think they have too little death topics. Others already named off the ones I was thinking about ;)

and why do people keep talking about Tom dying? Is there something I haven't heard about yet? :anxious: Is AIO killing off Tom?
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

In my opinion, the quality and quantity of death episodes are just right, though I wouldn't be opposed to another one. I do want to give a shout-out to the episode "The Very Best of Friends," though, for its dealing with grief so well.

Haha, they should make an episode simply titled "Death"! :lol:
StrongNChrist wrote:and why do people keep talking about Tom dying? Is there something I haven't heard about yet? :anxious: Is AIO killing off Tom?
The jury's still out on that one. Due to Walker Edmiston's death, however, some have speculated that his character may die as well. Of course, there's also the possibility that he will be replaced, or fade out of AIO in some other way.
Last edited by LizzieG on Fri May 08, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

LizzieG wrote:In my opinion, the quality and quantity of death episodes is just right, though I wouldn't be opposed to another one. I do want to give a shout-out to the episode "The Very Best of Friends," though, for its dealing with grief so well.

That's the final show. :-$
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Shawndlay wrote:
LizzieG wrote:In my opinion, the quality and quantity of death episodes is just right, though I wouldn't be opposed to another one. I do want to give a shout-out to the episode "The Very Best of Friends," though, for its dealing with grief so well.

That's the final show. :-$
Blackgaard was hiding out in a hidden house he built under whit's end while he had control of it, where there's Ruku so he grdually collect the small amounts so he can take over the world and kill everyone. :wink: