Family Generations

Another Odyssey Owl section!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

One of my Omas could shoot an animal through one eye and the bullet would come out the other (one of my relatives have pictures to prove it. In fact several.)

Johnny
Local Conspiracy theorist

Post by Johnny »

31899 wrote:One of my Omas could shoot an animal through one eye and the bullet would come out the other (one of my relatives have pictures to prove it. In fact several.)

Omas? :-s

Could you explain that terminology?

Plus it would be awesome if we saw some pics. I believe you but it would be nice if we could add that to a gallery section.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Oma is a word used widely across Europe as a word for Grandma.

I would love to post the photo but unless you are willing to pay for a trip to British Columbia, it is not going to happened.

Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Follower of Christ wrote:My great-great-grandmother was a sharp shooter for a circus.
Oh! I had completely forgotten this! My great-great-aunt was a fat lady in a circus! :anxious:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

My great great great grandfather invented gravy! \:D/
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

The Top Crusader wrote:My great great great grandfather invented gravy! \:D/
So it was his fault! :x
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I'm related to Jesse James. His sister married into my dad's family.

and I'm related to Charlie Brown \:D/
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

StrongNChrist wrote:I'm related to Jesse James. His sister married into my dad's family.

and I'm related to Charlie Brown \:D/
Another entry! This is most definitely spicing up :D

Guys official entries about family tidbits ends tomorrow at 1 am Central.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

One of my relatives was fighting in the civil war. He was shot in the back.... Think about it.

:D
I do what I do.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

GlennAdams wrote:One of my relatives was fighting in the civil war. He was shot in the back.... Think about it.

:hilarious:

If I catch the joke... I think nearly every American relative had someone in the Civil War
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Q wrote:
GlennAdams wrote:One of my relatives was fighting in the civil war. He was shot in the back.... Think about it.

:hilarious:

If I catch the joke... I think nearly every American relative had someone in the Civil War
But not every one's relative was shot in the BACK. :noway:
I do what I do.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I am enlightened enough to start stalking people... especially Pseudonym!

I am related to a guy named Noah from the Bible!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Ok everyone nice entries! I would like a mod or admin to lock this topic because this contest is over. If anyone else would like to discuss this type of stuff you can make another topic :D
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Why can't we just continue talking here? O:)

I meant to post this yesterday, but I never got around to it. Wheee! \:D/

On my mom's side of the family:

When my granny was growing up on a farm...I think this was in NC in the '30s...her younger sister Lessie and 3 (I think) of her brothers' wives, one of whom was expecting a baby, were killed by a lightning strike. A big storm came up, and they had gone into the barn for shelter. My granny was sent back to the house to close the windows or else she probably would've been killed as well. The barn had some sort of metal bench or trough running around it - I can't remember exactly - it had something to do with the tobacco they farmed. The 4 girls were all sitting on the metal, I suppose, and when the lightning hit the barn they were all killed at once. :(
I have the newspaper clipping about it somewhere, but I haven't had a chance to look for it to confirm the details. Anyway, I've always thought that was an interesting though tragic story. :)

On my dad's side of the family:

I'm even fuzzier on these details! My great-grandfather's family immigrated from Italy - although before coming to the US I think they lived in Argentina for awhile. Anyway, he was the head chef on some rich guy's yacht. \:D/ He had to go along, of course, when they sailed to all these different places. He was gone from his family so much in fact, that his son, my grandpa, didn't recognize him when he came home! He started crying, afraid of the strange man in his house. That's when my great-grandfather decided to quit the chef job so he could be at home more often. ;)

I love finding out stories about my family's history. :yes:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Why can't we just continue talking here? O:)

I meant to post this yesterday, but I never got around to it. Wheee! \:D/

On my mom's side of the family:

When my granny was growing up on a farm...I think this was in NC in the '30s...her younger sister Lessie and 3 (I think) of her brothers' wives, one of whom was expecting a baby, were killed by a lightning strike. A big storm came up, and they had gone into the barn for shelter. My granny was sent back to the house to close the windows or else she probably would've been killed as well. The barn had some sort of metal bench or trough running around it - I can't remember exactly - it had something to do with the tobacco they farmed. The 4 girls were all sitting on the metal, I suppose, and when the lightning hit the barn they were all killed at once. :(
I have the newspaper clipping about it somewhere, but I haven't had a chance to look for it to confirm the details. Anyway, I've always thought that was an interesting though tragic story. :)

On my dad's side of the family:

I'm even fuzzier on these details! My great-grandfather's family immigrated from Italy - although before coming to the US I think they lived in Argentina for awhile. Anyway, he was the head chef on some rich guy's yacht. \:D/ He had to go along, of course, when they sailed to all these different places. He was gone from his family so much in fact, that his son, my grandpa, didn't recognize him when he came home! He started crying, afraid of the strange man in his house. That's when my great-grandfather decided to quit the chef job so he could be at home more often. ;)

I love finding out stories about my family's history. :yes:
Well I think we can make an exception and enter you in.

I suppose we can continue the thread it's just that this is a contest and the contest is over.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Oh, I didn't mean for you to make an exception! I just wanted to share some interesting family stories, even though the official contest part was over. :D
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Oh, I didn't mean for you to make an exception! I just wanted to share some interesting family stories, even though the official contest part was over. :D
Oh ok then my mistake.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I'm even fuzzier on these details! My great-grandfather's family immigrated from Italy - although before coming to the US I think they lived in Argentina for awhile. Anyway, he was the head chef on some rich guy's yacht. \:D/
So that's where you got your cooking skills! \:D/
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Just to clarafy.....the Jesse James I'm talking about is the outlaw Jesse James who lived years ago. Not Jesse G. James that I first learned about when JD pm'ed me :anxious:
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

StrongNChrist wrote:Just to clarafy.....the Jesse James I'm talking about is the outlaw Jesse James who lived years ago. Not Jesse G. James that I first learned about when JD pm'ed me :anxious:
:lol: When I first read your post, that was who I thought of and then I realized you must mean the outlaw. Jesse G. James does claim to be a relation of the original Jesse James, though, so you probably are relations anyway.

For those who insist on associating the name Chandler as a masculine name, Jesse G. James has a daughter named Chandler! \:D/